Buddha - lazy boy

Rocky Rivera

One of the most influential teachers still revered in this world is Siddharta Gautama, an East-Indian prince who would later become known as the Buddha. It has been said that during his early, formative years his father forbade him from leaving the grounds of his estate. Despite his great possessions, a doting wife, and a royal lineage he felt the call to explore beyond the boundaries of his abode too great to resist. It is said that he became a great sage after witnessing the struggles of the common man which were foreign to him -- the sickness, the poverty, the depression.

I dare say he was lazy. Meditating under a tree all day long is not "enlightenment", it is laziness. It's no more enlightening than a teenage boy perched on his couch all day playing video games. My theory is that after seeing all the poverty and sickness all around (and realizing that the rich people like him could help alleviate it, and that they had probably been the cause of it), he freaked out, gave up on life and to avoid it, decided to become an ascetic while saying he found "englightenment". I'm thinking that when his father discovered him and asked what he was doing, he said, "Daddy, I found englightenment", but afterwards his daddy -- not wanting the people to think his son was weak and lazy -- spun some stories about him and spread it around, lionizing his son's discovery of "englightenment". If I tried this with my dad >> let's say I crashed on the couch every single day all day long and when my dad asks me what I'm doing, I'll say, "Daddy, I found englightenment." My dad would take his belt out and whip me for being lazy. He'd be absolutely furious. But why do you see statues of a fat Buddha? He did nothing but sit under a tree, mediate, and his servants would bring out food for him to consume. He needed lots and lots of food. What happens when you combine an over-robust diet with no physical activity? Yep, you get fat! And the fatter he got, the more excuses he found to mediate and go deeper into "englightenment". But the fantasy stories weaved by his family kept circulating, until the whole land thought he was a great sage -- probably the same way liberals thought Barack Hussein Obama was a great president.

Last edited:

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
One of the most influential teachers still revered in this world is Siddharta Gautama, an East-Indian prince who would later become known as the Buddha. It has been said that during his early, formative years his father forbade him from leaving the grounds of his estate. Despite his great possessions, a doting wife, and a royal lineage he felt the call to explore beyond the boundaries of his abode too great to resist. It is said that he became a great sage after witnessing the struggles of the common man which were foreign to him -- the sickness, the poverty, the depression.

I dare say he was lazy. Meditating under a tree all day long is not "enlightenment", it is laziness. It's no more enlightening than a teenage boy perched on his couch all day playing video games. My theory is that after seeing all the poverty and sickness all around (and realizing that the rich people like him could help alleviate it, and that they had probably been the cause of it), he freaked out, gave up on life and to avoid it, decided to become an ascetic while saying he found "englightenment". I'm thinking that when his father discovered him and asked what he was doing, he said, "Daddy, I found englightenment", but afterwards his daddy -- not wanting the people to think his son was weak and lazy -- spun some stories about him and spread it around, lionizing his son's discovery of "englightenment". If I tried this with my dad >> let's say I crashed on the couch every single day all day long and when my dad asks me what I'm doing, I'll say, "Daddy, I found englightenment." My dad would take his belt out and whip me for being lazy. He'd be absolutely furious. But why do you see statues of a fat Buddha? He did nothing but sit under a tree, mediate, and his servants would bring out food for him to consume. He needed lots and lots of food. What happens when you combine an over-robust diet with no physical activity? Yep, you get fat! And the fatter he got, the more excuses he found to mediate and go deeper into "englightenment". But the fantasy stories weaved by his family kept circulating, until the whole land thought he was a great sage -- probably the same way liberals thought Barack Hussein Obama was a great president.
I like what you are saying, but I think that you should know that the "fat Buddha" is not a representation of Siddhartha, but a different "Buddha" that in Chinese is called " Mi Le Fo." There are unfortunately, many buddhas in buddhism, all supposedly having achieved enlightenment.

Popcornfish

The Buddha spend 49 days meditating under the Bodhi tree. Its name, Bodhi, was given to that tree after Buddha's meditation there. The meaning is the tree of enlightenment.
When Siddhartha was finished he felt his mission was to spread the teaching of Dharma. He went there initially because after his travels around the kingdom his father ruled, he could not understand the point or meaning of death and suffering.
Buddha became, "enlightened" to that answer under that fig tree. The answer? It is all an illusion.
The child's limerick , row row row your boat. (row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily , merrily, life is but a dream), is said to encapsulate the totality of the teaching of Dharma.

I shouldn't share this because if her reads this in a search engine he'll know who I am and remember.
I met a Buddhist once that was actually kind of arrogant about his beliefs. He acted first as one would expect an Evangelist. Let me tell you about Dharma.
Bold, since I didn't know him. So I said, give me the condensed version because I have places to be. My last parent had just passed a month prior.
So he did.
All is an illusion. All poverty, (but the Dhali Lama lives in a palace in Tibet, and wears silk robes sewn with real gold thread, btw. That's some illusion. ) all poverty is an illusion, all suffering is an illusion, he said.
That last part is what triggered me as I'd watched my parents die of cancers less than a year apart from one another.
I asked him to repeat that.
He smiled. I think he thought he had a convert. "all suffering is an illusion." he said again.
At which point I pulled back and punched him right in the face with a right hook.
"Feel that? Or was it an illusion? "
He looked up at me from the sidewalk from his back, holding his broken nose.
I pulled out my phone and invited him to press charges for assault by a dream fist. He declined.

I have to learn patience with pompous people. I think he was my first test. I failed. But I'm trying Lord, I'm trying.

Rocky Rivera

The Buddha spend 49 days meditating under the Bodhi tree. Its name, Bodhi, was given to that tree after Buddha's meditation there. The meaning is the tree of enlightenment.
When Siddhartha was finished he felt his mission was to spread the teaching of Dharma. He went there initially because after his travels around the kingdom his father ruled, he could not understand the point or meaning of death and suffering.
Buddha became, "enlightened" to that answer under that fig tree. The answer? It is all an illusion.
The child's limerick , row row row your boat. (row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily , merrily, life is but a dream), is said to encapsulate the totality of the teaching of Dharma.

I shouldn't share this because if her reads this in a search engine he'll know who I am and remember.
I met a Buddhist once that was actually kind of arrogant about his beliefs. He acted first as one would expect an Evangelist. Let me tell you about Dharma.
Bold, since I didn't know him. So I said, give me the condensed version because I have places to be. My last parent had just passed a month prior.
So he did.
All is an illusion. All poverty, (but the Dhali Lama lives in a palace in Tibet, and wears silk robes sewn with real gold thread, btw. That's some illusion. ) all poverty is an illusion, all suffering is an illusion, he said.
That last part is what triggered me as I'd watched my parents die of cancers less than a year apart from one another.
I asked him to repeat that.
He smiled. I think he thought he had a convert. "all suffering is an illusion." he said again.
At which point I pulled back and punched him right in the face with a right hook.
"Feel that? Or was it an illusion? "
He looked up at me from the sidewalk from his back, holding his broken nose.
I pulled out my phone and invited him to press charges for assault by a dream fist. He declined.

I have to learn patience with pompous people. I think he was my first test. I failed. But I'm trying Lord, I'm trying.
The Bible tells us that when we die, our character is FIXED -- no ability to repent for the non-believer, no change in godly character for the believer, either - Revelation 22:11-14.

I feel sorry for the Buddhist, who in Hell still tries will all his / her might to believe that the flames, the worms, the loneliness, the eternal thirst and hunger are all an illusion. But lofty-sounding philosophies ring extremly hollow in a place where truth is known and unchallengeable.

I would ask the Buddhist why they are doing what they are doing, and why they feel it is so important to tell others about this if they truly believe everything is an illusion. Did he think he was living in The Matrix? But, despite the big words and lofty-sounding philosophies, it boils down to just being, "This whole life stinks, so I'm going to pretend it's not real and do nothing about it." In other words, sleepy indifferent laziness.

Last edited:

antitox

It never works when man tries to enlighten himself with whatever dogmas he can collect and hand other people. God will let people do that but that person will not find God that way because he has limited everything to his own mind. Man must reach toward God if he wants to find Him. Consider: Eccl 3:11 : "he has put eternity into man’s mind, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end." The hope of this statement is that with eternity in man's mind - an awareness - that it may cause him to reach out to God and find Him.

InsuranceGuy

I was in one of those little Asian stores they have in shopping malls. They had a little Buddha statue for just a couple of dollars. I thought it would look cool on my desk at work, so I bought it. Nice. A fat little Buddha figurine sitting by my phone. The company, Fireman's Fund Insurance, went out of business several months later. lol Our parent company, Allianz, decided to do away with the name and simply take us over. This was in the late Fall of 2014. In my mind, that stupid little statue caused it all. Had I not put it on my desk, or bought it, thousands of people would still be employed.

bap

I was in one of those little Asian stores they have in shopping malls. Th842858la little Buddha statue for just a couple of dollars. I thought it would look cool on my desk at work, so I bought it. Nice. A fat little Buddha figurine sitting by my phone. The company, Fireman's Fund Insurance, went out of business several months later. lol Our parent company, Allianz, decided to do away with the name and simply take us over. This was in the late Fall of 2014. In my mind, that stupid little statue caused it all. Had I not put it on my desk, or bought it, thousands of people would still be employed.
I'm sorry, but as a Christian, I do not understand why you bought it. IF people did not know you -- and they saw it, how would they know that you were not a Buddhist?

Last edited:

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I'm sorry, but as a Christian, I do not understand why you bought it. IF people did not know you -- and they saw it, how would they know that you were not a Buddhist?
I agree Christians should have nothing to do with the unfruitful works of darkness! It is not a good witness to have a buddha statue. I would think that is that person's religion.

Channah

Oh my I see those statues everywhere I go. In my husband’s family, even the cat. In Las Vegas at the California Hotel people rub its belly. Been to Buddhist temples out of reflect for my husband when there are funerals, even his aunty is a Buddhist priest of some kind. I’m not enlightened Jesus Christ is whom I kneel down for and He one deserves all the glory.