Brexit.

daygo

Independent Group for Change MP Chris Leslie tweeted: "Crucial victory to prevent Boris shutting the doors of Parliament to get his way in October. He refused to rule out 'proroguing' Parliament in order to Brexit with no-deal... so backbench MPs worked across the parties to rule it out for him."
Earlier, Laura Kuenssberg, the BBC’s political editor, suggested at least one minister - thought to be Chancellor Philip Hammond - will also resign next week before they are sacked.
Justice Secretary David Gauke was rumoured to be considering resigning after he said proroguing Parliament would be "outrageous".

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I will have to see what the precise amendments are and we're hearing what the whipping will be and the arguments for that so I'm not in a position to necessarily say.
"But what I would say is the idea that Parliament should be suspended in October - a period where it always sits, Parliament has always in recent years sat at that time of year.
"And at a crucial point in this country's history, if you like - that Parliament should not be able to sit, should not be able to express its opinion and its will, I think would be outrageous.

I very much doubt that any Prime Minister would in fact suspend Parliament in these circumstances, but I can understand the concerns that a lot of my colleagues have.”
Front runner for the Tory leadership Mr Johnson again refused at the final campaign hustings on Wednesday to rule out proroguing - suspending - Parliament in order to meet his red line of getting the UK out of the EU by October 31.
Mr Johnson’s team are rumoured to have devised a plan to hold the Queen’s Speech, in which the PM lays out his policy programme, in November.

Such a move would mean MPs would be sent home two weeks before it - effectively suspending Parliament and allowing a no-deal Brexit to happen without any interference.
Rival for Number 10 Jeremy Hunt has insisted he would not use such a constitutional manoeuvre to force EU withdrawal.

daygo

The EU will give in “very quickly” after a no-deal Brexit and start talks on a trade deal because of the UK’s “size and importance”, Stephen Barclay has claimed.
The bloc’s unity will crumble under pressure from its voters and businesses once the “impact of no-deal” is felt, the Brexit secretary told a committee of MPs.
Brussels has repeatedly insisted it will not move on to “phase two” trade talks if the UK crashes out without an agreement – unless and until obligations on the £39bn 'divorce bill', the Irish border and EU citizens are met.
But Mr Barclay said: “In the event of a no-deal, the phase two issues would very quickly come into play.
“Clearly there would be a desire on both sides to see where improvements can be made – I don’t think anyone would seek to stay on a bare-bones WTO [World Trade Organisation] basis for a significant period.”
Mr Barclay added: “It’s fairly easy to be unified on asking the Brits to pay more money, the Good Friday agreement – which people agree with – and citizens’ rights that they like.”

And, warning a crash-out Brexit would “bite” on the economies of particular areas of EU states, he told the MPs: “That has an interplay on coalition governments in those countries.”
He noted the “size and importance of the UK on the border of the EU” as a reason why Brussels would have to shift its stance.
During the evidence session, Mr Barclay also:
* Did not deny the National Farmers’ Union warning of a mass slaughter of lambs after a crash-out Brexit – but said farmers would be compensated.
* Denied a bust-up with Michel Barnier, the EU’s Brexit negotiator, because he insisted the withdrawal agreement would have to be ripped up.
Mr Barclay said he says he had simply said the deal would not get through the Commons as it stands, adding: “I did not think that was a particularly controversial observation.
* Criticised the car industry for saying no-deal was “simply not an option” – saying that was “factually incorrect, because it was the legal position of the government”.

How I long for a strong leader and not these weak kneed MPs that are here now.

daygo

The EU wanted to ‘put Brexit on ice for five years’, a new programme has revealed.
David Lidington, Theresa May’s De Facto deputy, told BBC Panorama that a senior EU official made the secret offer to put Brexit on hold for five years and “see how things go” then talk about a "new deal for Europe" when the dust had settled.
Cabinet Office Minister Mr Lidington told the programme that the offer came from theEuropean Commission's top official Martin Selmayr in 2018.
He said: "Martin sort of said, 'Look, why don't we have a deal whereby we just put all this on ice for five years?'
"Let's see how things go, let's get the UK involved with France and Germany, let's see how the dust settles and let's talk about whether we can come to a new deal for Europe.'"
David Lidington made the comments during an interview with BBC Panorama (Picture: AP/Mindaugas Kulbis)
Mr Selmayr told the same programme, ‘Britain's Brexit Crisis’, which is set to be broadcast at 9pm on Thursday, that the UK was unprepared to leave Europe without a deal.
He said: "We have seen what has been prepared on our side of the border for a hard Brexit. We don't see the same level of preparation on the other side of the border."

This doesnt surprise me at all, gets sillier and sillier by the day.

daygo

Next week, Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt will become the UK's new prime minister.
Both have ruled out holding a general election before the 31 October Brexit deadline. However, some MPs say they are willing to trigger one.
So, how soon could the UK be going back to the polls?
Is an election inevitable?
There is nothing in law that says Mr Johnson or Mr Hunt must hold a general election when they take over from Theresa May.
As long as the Conservatives remain in power, the new party leader becomes prime minister automatically, assuming they continue to have support from most MPs.

This is not unprecedented. When Gordon Brown took over as Labour prime minister from Tony Blair in 2007, he waited until 2010 before holding an election.
A UK Parliament lasts for a maximum of five years. As the last general election was held in 2017, the next one would not be due until 2022.
Can the prime minister hold an early election?
The prime minister used to be able call an early election when they wanted to.
That changed in 2011, when a law called the Fixed Term Parliaments Act was brought in.
Now, a prime minister needs the votes of 66% of MPs to call an early election.

Theresa May used this power to hold the 2017 general election - just two years after the previous poll.
The new prime minister could do the same - in the hope of winning more seats, to make it easier to pass new laws and deliver Brexit.
However, this scenario seems unlikely as both leadership candidates say they are against a snap election.
Could a prime minister be made to have an election?
Both Mr Johnson and Mr Hunt have refused to rule out the possibility of a no-deal Brexit. This would see the UK immediately leave the European Union (EU) with no agreement about the "divorce" process.
That worries some MPs, most of whom are against a no-deal Brexit. They fear it could harm the economy and lead to border posts in Ireland.
In order to stop a no-deal, MPs could try to defeat the government in a "vote of no confidence".

In this procedure MPs have to decide whether they want the current government to continue. For the vote of no confidence to succeed, it might require some Conservative MPs to vote against their own government.
If this passes, the Fixed Term Parliaments Act allows the government to stay on for 14 days, to try to persuade MPs to change their minds.
Other parties might also try to come together to form a government during this period - but this would require the current prime minister to resign.
If nothing is resolved after 14 days, a general election is automatically triggered.

If such a scenario plays out, the new prime minister - Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt - would still not have to resign.
But he would have to advise the Queen when the election will happen. Traditionally, this would be as soon as practically possible.
Once the date is known, Parliament shuts down - or dissolves - 25 days before the poll. This allows MPs to campaign for re-election.
How soon could a general election happen?
An early election would depend on how soon any vote of no confidence was passed.
Parliament is due to break up for summer on 25 July - just one day after the new prime minister officially starts.
If MPs managed to organise and pass a no confidence vote on the final day, the 14-day period would end on 8 August.
Assuming the government didn't regain the confidence of MPs, the House of Commons Library says that either Thursday 19 or 26 September would then be the most likely date for a general election.
That would give the winner of the election just over a month to decide what to do about the 31 October Brexit deadline.

Am wondering if a shrewed leader could in fact use this to get Britain out by somehow allowing time to run out by oct 31st, it is possible, very intriguing thought.

daygo

Yes athenasius will know tomorrow if Boris has won, everyone is assuming so. As you'd expect there are those that are opposed to it and swear that they're going to fight him on letting uk leave without a deal. I'm so ashamed and embarrassed about British politics, they're all selfish and just think of themselves.

daygo

Voting has now closed for the next leader of Tories will know tomorrow morning, lib dems have voted in a leader and she says the same thing, that she'll fight all she can against a no deal brexit. The eu must be laughing their socks off, with leaders like these they don't have to do anything, Tony Blair been on again about brexit, it's all ridiculous.

crossnote

Yes athenasius will know tomorrow if Boris has won, everyone is assuming so. As you'd expect there are those that are opposed to it and swear that they're going to fight him on letting uk leave without a deal. I'm so ashamed and embarrassed about British politics, they're all selfish and just think of themselves.
I've heard that even if Boris wins, the opposition vows to make a mess of things so actual elections will be forced in the near future. Is this so?

TheRedeemed

I've heard that even if Boris wins, the opposition vows to make a mess of things so actual elections will be forced in the near future. Is this so?
In the craziness of the current political climate over Brexit a general election is now a definite possibility.

The Tory party would fight the election on a 'no deal' Brexit and probably be returned with a huge majority and to also wipe out the existential threat of the Brexit party during said election in the process.

If they don't fight the election on the 'no deal' then the Brexit party would pose a real threat of becoming the next UK government.

daygo

Boris Johnson has been elected new Conservative leader in a ballot of party members and will become the next UK prime minister.
He beat Jeremy Hunt comfortably, winning 92,153 votes to his rival's 46,656.
The former London mayor takes over from Theresa May on Wednesday.
In his victory speech, Mr Johnson promised he would "deliver Brexit, unite the country and defeat Jeremy Corbyn".
Speaking at the Queen Elizabeth II centre in London, he said: "We are going to energise the country.
"We are going to get Brexit done on 31 October and take advantage of all the opportunities it will bring with a new spirit of can do.
"We are once again going to believe in ourselves, and like some slumbering giant we are going to rise and ping off the guy ropes of self doubt and negativity."

Mr Johnson thanked his predecessor, saying it had been "a privilege to serve in her cabinet". He was Mrs May's foreign secretary until resigning over Brexit.
The outgoing PM in turn congratulated her successor, promising him her "full support from the backbenches".

Foreign Secretary Mr Hunt said he was "very disappointed", but Mr Johnson would do "a great job". He said he had "total, unshakeable confidence in our country" and that was a valuable quality at such a challenging time.
Mr Hunt added: "It was always going to be uphill for us because I was someone who voted Remain and I think lots of party members felt that this was a moment when you just had to have someone who voted for Brexit in the referendum.
"In retrospect, that was a hurdle we were never able to overcome."
US President Donald Trump also sent his congratulations to Mr Johnson, tweeting: "He will be great!"
Almost 160,000 Conservative members were eligible to vote and turnout was 87.4%.
Mr Johnson's share of the vote - 66.4% - was slightly lower than that garnered by David Cameron in the 2005 Tory leadership election (67.6%).

daygo

David Gauke, another vocal opponent of a no-deal Brexit, announced he was resigning as justice secretary.
They join the likes of Chancellor Philip Hammond, Foreign Office minister Sir Alan Duncan and Culture Minister Margot James who have all said they disagree too strongly with Mr Johnson's Brexit strategy to work closely with him.

I am well pleased these people are going, if only Amber Rudd would resign now that would make my decade.

daygo

The EU Commission's Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, said he was looking forward to working with Mr Johnson "to facilitate the ratification of the withdrawal agreement and achieve an orderly Brexit".
Mr Johnson has previously said the agreement Mrs May reached with the EU was "dead".
Guy Verhofstadt, the European Parliament's chief Brexit co-ordinator, said the parliament would hold an extraordinary meeting on Wednesday in response to Mr Johnson's election.

Now the work begins.

daygo

Jeremy Corbyn reacted to the news of Mr Johnson's victory by tweeting that he had "won the support of fewer than 100,000 unrepresentative Conservative Party members", but "hasn't won the support of our country".
"Johnson's no-deal Brexit would mean job cuts, higher prices in the shops, and risk our NHS being sold off to US corporations in a sweetheart deal with Donald Trump," the Labour leader continued.
"The people of our country should decide who becomes the prime minister in a general election," he added.

Typical reaction from Labour.