Bon appetit? .... yum! What's on your menu?

anath

I Love the Lord
We had tacos and refried beans. Mike asked for German Chocolate cake instead of a pie. Just got the frosting made and I told Mike to frost the thing, I had to sit down. Oh and I didn't have any evaporated milk so I made my own from whole milk.
Making the cake was the easy part. I'm not really complaining...it's just too hot to bake a cake.:hot

Andy C

Left over spaghetti- again.

Sorry about those of you in the sticky humid south, but I lived there 20 years, so I feel your pain. Here in Oregon, it was 51 when I took my dog for a walk this morning, and todays high was 84 - With no humidity, dew point in the low 50s. I can actually eat outside and feel comfortable which I could never do in NC in the summer.

ShilohRose

Left over spaghetti- again.

Sorry about those of you in the sticky humid south, but I lived there 20 years, so I feel your pain. Here in Oregon, it was 51 when I took my dog for a walk this morning, and todays high was 84 - With no humidity, dew point in the low 50s. I can actually eat outside and feel comfortable which I could never do in NC in the summer.
That sounds wonderful. The real feel in my part of Virginia today was 113.

Kem

Citizen
While I admit that air conditioning is most welcome, I love the south, hot and steamy though it may be. :D Far better than freezing and digging through snow!

Dh is likely to want a big bowl of popcorn later and probably not much if anything for supper. If that is the case I will likely just do the yogurt, berries and chopped walnuts thing. If he does want supper, there is some of the pasta with chicken and alfredo left for him.

athenasius

Oh my! those of you in the heat-- stay safe! it's going to hit 30 C here today but it's dry heat and our area gets some hot dry winds that blow so quite nice, but heat plus humidity is a killer, literally. Stay safe! My conversion says 30 C is only 86 F so very bearable heat, especially in dry climate conditions.

we are having leftover sausages, probably nuked with a little BBQ sauce or Ketchup maybe. Whatever veggie falls out of the crisper.

No, have been eating Keto and not hungry like I used to be. I wouldn't mind a bunless burger......:tea
I do up those salmon burgers from Costco (frozen aisle) quite often, I don't eat them with a bun but we like them drizzled with Renee's Mighty Garlic Caesar which is one of those fresh Caesar dressings sold refridgerated by the salad greens. They are really nice done with chopped Romaine, kind of like a Hot Chicken Caesar Salad only salmon style.

How I do them. Quick fry or as I like, quick bake on foil lined jelly roll pan or rimmed cookie sheet at 450 till done which usually isn't long. I shove it in THEN turn the oven on to 450 or even 475 because a fast quick heat will brown it, and leave it juicy on the middle but cooked thru. When you can smell them, they are done. I learnt that trick from Martha Stewart and it works. I then use my stove fan over the oven to suck the heat back out of the kitchen to the great outdoors-- while cooking and 15 to 20 minutes after opening the oven. Or a quick pan fry too, but either way that fan needs to suck that heat out or our apartment smells of cooking, and it makes our air conditioner work extra.

The whole process also works with those boneless skinless cheap chicken breasts from Walmart. And those I prefer pan fried fast, then covered up till the center cooks thru but still juicy. Slice and drizzle with Caesar dressing over Romaine. A true Hot Chicken Caesar salad.

Then Bernice got me going on Spam fried up in slices, and OH is that good too. Quick fry, done. Dinners served.

Alternatives to the mighty beef burger, which is also a classic in it's own right and a summertime staple.

Lately I've been into cold veggies like raw stuff, cucumbers, red peppers etc or tinned sliced beets which I seem to really be serving a lot lately but they just taste perfect and there's no cooking required.

Our Safeway deli dept sells really nice marinated bean salad and a marinated Greek salad which is also nice for a change and doesn't involve cooking.

Dessert is some kind of fruit. No cooking involved.

My sunday dinner dessert for when dinner's at our place, is Jello, the sugar free one, any colour and a tin of fruit either fruit cocktail or pineapple chunks and the juice mixed into the jello. I get the no sugar added, in pear juice kind. It has natural fruit sugars, which are very carby but once a week we enjoy the treat. If I get anxious about the carbs I can serve jello plain but we always buy the sugar free one.

Last edited:

TeeTee

Praise the Lord! Great service at church about the Lords mercy and forgiveness. Great soaking music for worship which was extended for additional 30 minutes. Temps in the 70's and humidity dropping. The cold front is here for a couple days. Perogies for dinner with green beans. Cold peaches for dessert. Little Dog loves peaches. But gotta be careful, because she will be shooting bullets if too many peaches. She will only get a small bite. Thinking about volunteering during the day for ministry/ prayer at a friends church ( not a crazy church). She said need people willing to pray for others- I am in! Lets talk about Jesus and the Word. Probably will start in August. He is so good.

notdecieved

About 3 weeks back when our heat in the valley started, my AC went on the blink. My youngest son Doug got his electrician to work on it and get it going again. The electrician spent several hours working on it and trying to figure out what was wrong with it. After he got it going again, (Thank God, I was cooking by this time)... I went to pay the young man.... He said no... it is taken care of by Doug. Well my son wouldn't take any money from me, sooooo I asked him if I could make him one of his favorite meals.... Both him and his wife said "home made chicken noodle soup with home made noodles". Guess what I worked on all afternoon today.... yup.... chicken noodle soup, with home made noodles. I made a hugh pot full, with 2 batches of noodles so there was lots of noodles... and lots of vegetables in the soup too. Took the pot over as is... and a plastic container that held the chicken and sour cream. I had me a couple bowl fulls too... one for tonight and a pint for tomorrow. The kids phoned after they had their supper and told me how they enjoyed the soup.... project accomplished and am happy I could do that for the favor they did for me.