Bon appetit? .... yum! What's on your menu?

livin_in_the_Son

Beef stroganoff for some of us, and either pizza rolls or hot dogs for my oldest. He won't touch slimy food. Oh well.

And Mary Brown, it is NEVER too cold for ice cream. It's 7 degrees here, and I'll have some for a treat later.

araj54

And Mary Brown, it is NEVER too cold for ice cream. It's 7 degrees here, and I'll have some for a treat later.
:thumbup I agree, even if I have to wear a heavy shirt while I indulge. I question my sanity at times. :thinking:
A cup of cocoa would probably be more suitable in cold weather.

araj54

Question for anath, or anyone. Suggestions for making canned pinto beans as a last minute side dish. In other words, how would I make them tasty when I decide at the last minute that's what I want. Help. :lol:

livin_in_the_Son

Question for anath, or anyone. Suggestions for making canned pinto beans as a last minute side dish. In other words, how would I make them tasty when I decide at the last minute that's what I want. Help. :lol:
My mom always threw in a piece of bacon for flavor...but it was the added chow-chow to the finished product that really did it.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
I'd drain and then fry them in a little butter, mashing well with a fork (called refried beans) and add your favorite cheese to the top. Serve when cheese melts. Perhaps serve on bread if you don't have tortillas. Bean sandwich if served on bread, a bean burrito if on a tortilla.

araj54

Bacon is always a good addition to beans.
Mary, I may try you suggestion, although so far I haven't been a refried bean aficionado.
Iknow how to make beans taste yummy if I have the time, but I often find myself deciding I want beans at the last minute, and I seem to run out of Bush's best baked beans a lot, poor planning I guess, but I always have cans of plain pinto beans on hand. Maybe a little brown sugar, or a tablespoon of salsa while their being heated. :idunno:

vmoon

Well, I put a roast in the crockpot this morning. Was going to have roast, carrots and potatoes but when I got home Matthew wanted tacos. I made a lot of them yesterday on soft taco shells and put them in the freezer. So... Matthew had tacos and I had a frozen diet dinner. Will let the roast cool off and put it in the fridge.
:thinking:
Might make some veggie soup and put some of that roast in it. :thinking:

livin_in_the_Son

Well, I put a roast in the crockpot this morning. Was going to have roast, carrots and potatoes ...

some veggie soup and put some of that roast in it. :thinking:
That's what my mom does with leftover roast. Put the carrots and potatoes in it too...my favorite leftover meal. Complete with a pan of cornbread and rice....

livin_in_the_Son

OK so everyone discussed fasting on another thread today! No appetit?

:lol:
We didn't fast today, even though I read that thread and was blessed by it.

I made the awful 'rib patties' my kids love, smothered in BBQ sauce, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, corn bread, fruit cocktail, and cookie brownies. I usually don't eat what I make for my kids due to finances, but no one went hungry, at least not where the Lord was concerned. He provided them an awesome meal!

araj54

Well, I put a roast in the crockpot this morning. Was going to have roast, carrots and potatoes but when I got home Matthew wanted tacos. I made a lot of them yesterday on soft taco shells and put them in the freezer. So... Matthew had tacos and I had a frozen diet dinner. Will let the roast cool off and put it in the fridge.
:thinking:
Might make some veggie soup and put some of that roast in it. :thinking:
:shocked You had a frozen diet dinner instead of crockpot roast? Boy, I'd walk a mile for crockpot roast, taters and carrots. :nod Probably cause as a bachelor I never make roasts.
And it's hard coming to this thread, everyone else's stuff sound so good.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
:shocked You had a frozen diet dinner instead of crockpot roast? Boy, I'd walk a mile for crockpot roast, taters and carrots. :nod Probably cause as a bachelor I never make roasts.
And it's hard coming to this thread, everyone else's stuff sound so good.
You could have that cup of cocoa with some ice cream in it. Call that maneuver "I'm crying in my cocoa a la mode!"?

:hug: from us all.

anath

I Love the Lord
Araj, there is a good brand of canned pinto beans. The name is Lucky's or Lucks and they cook their beans with some salt pork. I always add some bacon drippings or a piece of ham for added flavor.
Canned beans will do in a tight but I cook lots and lots of dried beans(red,black, white large limas, navy, pinto) and so I just enjoy cooking a pot of beans plus they taste sooooooo good!

araj54

You could have that cup of cocoa with some ice cream in it. Call that maneuver "I'm crying in my cocoa a la mode!"?

:hug: from us all.
:hug In reality you'll never see me "crying in my cocoa" as you say, :lol: what the Lord provides me to eat is always good, and I literally give Him the thanks for it all. I'm not sure if my cooking is good, or if He enhances my taste buds so I think it's good.

araj54

Araj, there is a good brand of canned pinto beans. The name is Lucky's or Lucks and they cook their beans with some salt pork. I always add some bacon drippings or a piece of ham for added flavor.
Canned beans will do in a tight but I cook lots and lots of dried beans(red,black, white large limas, navy, pinto) and so I just enjoy cooking a pot of beans plus they taste sooooooo good!
Thanks. I need to learn to use dried beans more (much cheaper). I do make navy bean soup from scratch.

anath

I Love the Lord
......what the Lord provides me to eat is always good, and I literally give Him the thanks for it all. I'm not sure if my cooking is good, or if He enhances my taste buds so I think it's good.
I really like what you said here. Amen!

anath

I Love the Lord
well just like we thought, it turned very cold but so far no snow flakes to be seen. I do however have my pot of pintos slowly cooking!

caligal

It is sleeting here in Pensacola, and we are having baked ham and tater salad for supper. We might have hot cocoa for dessert later.

To dress up last minute beans....empty beans and sauce they are in into a pan, add a small dollop of mustard, a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Make thinly sliced onion rings and separate them and slice thin strips of green pepper. Toss into the pot of beans and cook till the onions and pepper become soft. They are ready to eat.