Bon appetit? .... yum! What's on your menu?

kathymendel

We had to run a few errands today, so stopped at Sonic for a corn dog for lunch.
Haven't a clue yet what we will fix for dinner.............but, I'm tellin' ya:
I'm getting really tired of having to come up with dinner ideas every day..........
I keep dreaming of that heavenly feast we will all be partaking of together.
Soon, I hope!!!

athenasius

I'm getting really tired of having to come up with dinner ideas every day..........
I keep dreaming of that heavenly feast we will all be partaking of together.
I hear ya! I hate having to do new stuff. That's my idea of extreme torture.

I menu plan but its the same ol same ol. I rarely get beyond the usual 15 to 20 things I do. I can cook on auto pilot that way. Unfortunately we eat the same ol things on repeat but it does make life simpler. I can coast along and save my energy. When I feel inspired I try new stuff once in a while.

If it's any help to anyone this system works when I'm at my worst. It's like filling out a BINGO card. At least you can look on in horror and realize how much better you are treating your family :biggrin

I have 4 main meats in the freezer that I stock regularly: Beef (ground, steaks, sometimes roast) Pork (chops, ribs and sausages) Chicken (breast & thigh, duck breast) Fish (white and salmon plus salmon burgers). I'm allergic to all beans and soy, I'm gluten free and I low carb so I don't do breakfast for dinner.

I earmark 5 of the meats for 5 dinners. I have about 4 simple recipes for each. I keep the fixings on hand.

I use the airfryer of my new Ninja instapot thingy a LOT now. It's replaced my other main method--stick it on foil lined tray, top it with something and zorch it at 400.

I pull one protein out, enough for 2 nights and cook every other night. We eat the same thing twice in a row for at least 2 or 3 of those meals. If it's fish it's one night only. That usually gets me thru the week with a night off for going out. If I have unused meals from the list of 5 I simply roll that over to the next week, and my grocery order is smaller.

I don't decide ahead of the time what to eat on what day. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. I just pick one off my list of 5, pull the meat out by 9 am and start thawing it. Sometimes I do fancy things with it, most often it's my above default Air Fry or roast on foil methods.

I grocery shop online order once a week and get 5 veggies for those 5 meals. I refill whatevers getting low in the fridge and pantry and cast an eye on my meat & bread categories in the freezer. I don't bother with 2 separate veggies per meal-- just a larger helping of whatever it is.

Fill in a carb- rice, potatoes, pasta, bread as needed. I have all on hand in the cupboard.

Fruit for dessert. Whatever is good in season.

Lunch is deli meats and cheese or leftovers from dinner. Tinned soup as needed.

Breakfast is eggs, Cheerios, Cornflakes, frozen bread or bagels toasted and peanut butter for George, almond butter for me.

this works well, it saves money and most of all my energy.

Last night we did steaks on the bbq, tonight it's cold sliced beef steaks in mayo. Corn for George and another apple for me.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I hear ya! I hate having to do new stuff. That's my idea of extreme torture.

Me, on the other hand, I like cooking and enjoy exploring new recipes. It's hard to find something I'll try because the ingredients need to be affordable and almost all of it has to be stuff I already stock (thinking spices and whatnot). When I find something I want to try I'll usually look at a few different recipes and then create my own and go with it.

Tonight is Chicken Florentine and Farfalle.

athenasius

How about a veggie and cheese omelette, bowl of chilled, fresh fruit in season and uncured, no-sugar-added BACON BACON BACON BACON BACON :biggrin
I forgot, I have bacon on hand always, and when I say eggs-- they can be done any way possible including quiche and omelettes. I do a quiche for dinner once in a while and cheeseburger pie is essentially a burger based quiche but bacon is a nice addition to anything eggy. I have to be careful with veggies, most of them right now seem to trigger diverticulitis attacks so you'll often see peas and corn for George right now in my what's for dinner because those live in the freezer, and I can't eat them ever-- peas are a legume, and corn is a real no no for the diverticulitis. So once in a while George can feast on them when I'm off all veg temporarily.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I forgot, I have bacon on hand always, and when I say eggs-- they can be done any way possible including quiche and omelettes. I do a quiche for dinner once in a while and cheeseburger pie is essentially a burger based quiche but bacon is a nice addition to anything eggy. I have to be careful with veggies, most of them right now seem to trigger diverticulitis attacks so you'll often see peas and corn for George right now in my what's for dinner because those live in the freezer, and I can't eat them ever-- peas are a legume, and corn is a real no no for the diverticulitis. So once in a while George can feast on them when I'm off all veg temporarily.

I make a mean scrambled egg thingee using burnt ONIONS, crumbled BACON, and FETA :biggrin
(soft, not hard scrambled, and it works well with egg whites, too)

Veggie omelettes with ONIONS, peppers, optional tomatoes, and cheese-of-choice.

GARLIC-rosemary quiche or etc. :lol

Egg crepes, maybe with CINNAMON or cardamom, rolled and filled with whipped lemon filling, blueberries, lingonberries, etc. Topped with appropriate fruity sauce and plain or lemon whipped cream :smile Slivered almonds, pecans, or walnuts are nice additions, too :smile

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Grass-fed roast beef and gravy, optional baked potato, choice of salad or peas, and choice of ice cream or OJ

Andy C and TT, invisible home-made crepes stuffed with whipped orange-orange bitters-rum cream filling, topped with chocolate-rum sauce (no soy, no corn syrup, no rBST dairy, etc.)

:thankyou JESUS!!! :thankyou