Bon appetit? .... yum! What's on your menu?

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
My wife is taking our 9 year old GD to a local minor league baseball game tonight, so Im open for suggestions for what I should make or buy for dinner?

It's probably too late, but if you haven't eaten yet:

If you have some frozen leftovers, like maybe some roast beef and gravy, and mashed potatoes, you could heat that up and make a nice salad or peas to go with.

If no leftovers in the freezer, maybe a nice organic chef's salad with BACON as the meat :smile
Organic herbs, organic red wine vinegar, and organic olive oil to dress it.

Either way, a dish of ice cream for dessert (or maybe just eat the whole carton and not have to wash the dish).

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
It's interesting that a 12 oz package of thin sliced bacon only produced 8 slices of bacon to use on the burgers... Is that consistent with your experiences with a similar size package of thin sliced bacon?
I usually buy the 12 oz package of thick cut bacon and think there are 9-10 slices, will be opening a pack later today as we need some for baked beans, will try and remember the count and post on it.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I usually buy the 12 oz package of thick cut bacon and think there are 9-10 slices, will be opening a pack later today as we need some for baked beans, will try and remember the count and post on it.

I favor the 24 or 48 oz thick slice packages but pretty much only buy what's been discounted because it's approaching its sell by date. If my frozen stock of bacon is getting low I'll buy almost any bacon that's deep discounted.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I favor the 24 or 48 oz thick slice packages but pretty much only buy what's been discounted because it's approaching its sell by date. If my frozen stock of bacon is getting low I'll buy almost any bacon that's deep discounted.
You have more mouths to feed so those bigger packages are beneficial, just me and wife and the 12 oz thick cut is perfect, enough for the baked beans with enough left over for burgers during the week, or bacon & eggs, cooked bacon lasts quite a while. And the thick cut is about the only 12 oz I can find at a good price, all the rest of the thick cut or thin cut is 1 pound or more and out of our budget, so we try to keep 5-6 packs in the freezer.

Andy C

Normally I'd say the same, but the skinny stuff was the only stuff that was discounted... kudos on your peference for thick sliced bacon. you are both a gentleman and a scholar, at least when it comes to bacon.
Scholar:calvinme…..?

I cant stand thin bacon, it must be fat and thick. I still have several packages in my freezer from my favorite bacon dealer, long time connection, helps me when Im jonesing, brother in law.

Andy C

So how do you guys like it cooked, done but soft, crispy, crunchy.? Today I need some for baked beans so it will be done but soft, then I chop it up and into the beans, to me it seems to have better flavor than crispy or crunchy.
I like it just done enough and still soft, and my wife likes hers well done and crunchy. I rarely east just bacon by itself, and enjoy it best on a bagel sandwich with a fried egg, or dipped in maple syrup when eating pancakes. I never eat pancakes or French toast without bacon.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
So how do you guys like it cooked, done but soft, crispy, crunchy.? Today I need some for baked beans so it will be done but soft, then I chop it up and into the beans, to me it seems to have better flavor than crispy or crunchy.

I like it best just done, not crisp. If I'm going to add it to something like baked beans or some other thing, I'll cook it more as it softens after being added. As to the mystery upstream as to why I only had 8 slices of bacon after cooking up a 12 oz package of thin sliced bacon... that's how many slices were left after the cook ate his share.

I've noticed that the level of heat at which you cook the bacon can change the quality of the final product. If I'm cooking 3 pounds for example. The later batches go into a pan with a lot of hot bacon fat in it, and if the heat is set too low the bacon doesn't taste as good for some reason or other...