Bon appetit? .... yum! What's on your menu?

caligal

I think we will have chili tonight. I'm wearing a white sweatshirt so of course I pick something messy to cook.:hehheh

anath

I Love the Lord
We're gonna have something we picked up at the grocery store a little while ago...it's called Old El Paso Soft TacoBake dinner kit, that Mike will construct and bake. I'm baking date-nut bread this afternoon and a batch of chocolate fudge late tonight.

livin_in_the_Son

Ok, this is funny. Max just sent me a text from his teen party. He said that the Youth Pastor is serving them dinner...Noodles and Syrup. SYRUP??? :lol:

Obviously it's got to be some kind of sauce or gravy that he's not used to seeing, because he doesn't eat stuff like that...I just died laughing from that text. I can't wait to ask the pastor's wife tomorrow what she served.

Lucky for him there will be extra pizza.

SYRUP!???! :pound:

Patiently...

We ordered out last night because all day we made and decorated 13 dozen sugar cookies.
Stars, bells, angels, camels, donkeys, trees, ornaments, candy canes, snowmen, snowflakes, rocking horses, stockings,candles, can't remember what else, :faint2:

Kem

Citizen
We ordered out last night because all day we made and decorated 13 dozen sugar cookies.
Stars, bells, angels, camels, donkeys, trees, ornaments, candy canes, snowmen, snowflakes, rocking horses, stockings,candles, can't remember what else, :faint2:
Wow, I'll bet folks LOVE coming to your house. :thumbup

anath

I Love the Lord
Ok let's head for Pat's house Yum, yum:cookiemonster:

Mike is cooking dinner. He's making lots of tiny hamburgers and skinny french fries. His little burgers are fantastic...they are fried and greasy and taste so good. We only have these kind of greasy burgers maybe once or twice a year so my mouth is already watering for em.

livin_in_the_Son

We're having hot dogs and fries tonight after night service.

No baking for us today. It's gingerbread men, and sugar cookies tomorrow.. but NOT 13 dozen...WOWZA!!

Has anyone ever used steel cut oats in oatmeal raisin cookies? Jason wants oatmeal raisin cookies, and I have steel cut oats. If I have to buy old fashioned oats, I'll buy them if I have too, and save the steel cut for oatmeal. What do you ladies think???

anath

I Love the Lord
Juli :idunno: I don't even know what steel cut oats are. I buy Old fashioned Rolled Oats. Sorry I can't help

Tonight I'm baking huge chicken breasts in a baking dish with cut up potatoes, butter, salt and pepper. It's simple to do as well as good.

Later on after dinner and things settle down, I will make another batch of chocolate fudge.(If Mike's not too tired, he'll help...oh never mind, forget that, he won't either...tonight the Saints play Chicago. :lol:

araj54

Has anyone ever used steel cut oats in oatmeal raisin cookies? Jason wants oatmeal raisin cookies, and I have steel cut oats. If I have to buy old fashioned oats, I'll buy them if I have too, and save the steel cut for oatmeal. What do you ladies think???
I'm not a lady, nor do I make oatmeal cookies.:cookiemonster:
But given the fact that steel cut oats are 2 1/2 times the price of regular oatmeal....just sayin' :hug

lynnjcksnjck

We're having hot dogs and fries tonight after night service.

No baking for us today. It's gingerbread men, and sugar cookies tomorrow.. but NOT 13 dozen...WOWZA!!

The main difference between rolled oats and steel-cut oats is the cut and the process which they go through from farm to table. Rolled oats are steamed, pressed flat, steamed again, then roasted. Steel-cut oats are whole, raw oats cut into halves or quarters, giving them an appearance similar to grains of rice. They do not go through a pre-cooking process. Both styles of oats contain the bran and germ, which is where the majority of nutrition is located.
Read more : The Difference Between Oatmeal & Steel Cut Oats | eHow

anath

I Love the Lord
just thinking....it would seem that steel-cut oats would take a little longer to bake since they are raw???? :idunno:

lynnjcksnjck

just thinking....it would seem that steel-cut oats would take a little longer to bake since they are raw???? :idunno:
I would think so

Rolled oats and steel-cut oats have different tastes and textures, especially after they have been cooked. Rolled oats are traditionally used in old-fashioned oatmeal, and have a mild oat flavor with a creamy and slightly chewy texture. Rolled oats are light and fluffy in comparison to steel-cut oats. Steel-cut oats have a much heartier weight and a grainy texture. When cooked, they have a texture that is similar to steamed rice. The flavor has a nutty quality as well.

Rolled oats cook much faster than steel-cut oats, since they have already been through a light cooking phase during processing. To cook old-fashioned rolled oats, you will need approximately six to 10 minutes. Steel-cut oats take approximately 15 to 25 minutes to cook.

livin_in_the_Son

Well Allen, since I already have the steel cut oats, they wouldn't be more expensive...as I wouldn't be purchasing them again. But I see your point. I'll save them for oatmeal. :hug

I guess I'll have to get some old fashioned oats. But Jason will have to wait until next week for his cookies. Our cookie/candy budget is gone for this week.

We're having sloppy joes tonight for dinner. Max has a Chik Fil A gift card that he got from his Christmas party, so he's gonna use that for his dinner. He really cracks me up. He pours ketchup on every kind of meat, but he doesn't like sloppy joes, that's made from ketchup. Oh well, more for me!! :thumbup

araj54

what??? :shocked you don't make oatmeal cookies!!!! :shocked:hehheh
I've tried 2 times to make oatmeal raisin cookies like Mom use to make, failed miserably both times. :doh:
Didnt' try for the 3 strikes your out rule. :lol:
My molasses and peanut butter cookies always turned out great though.
A mute point now anyway as I no longer keep cookies around....too much sugar
and too little self control coming into play.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Juli offered to send you 2 cookies if you'll give her your address. Portion control is easier that way!

So glad you are back from self-imposed exile, umm, I mean... glad to see you here today Allen! :hug :hug :hug :hug

:meet:

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Your guardian :angel:

araj54

Juli offered to send you 2 cookies if you'll give her your address. Portion control is easier that way!

So glad you are back from self-imposed exile, umm, I mean... glad to see you here today Allen! :hug :hug :hug :hug

:meet:

Your guardian :angel:
:hug :hug

She'd have to send two cookies every day, and with shipping cost that would be $3.25 per cookie,
unless of course they were reeeeaaaaallllllly thin and mailed them in an envelope........:lol: