BOB DYLAN SAYS HE WAS CHANGED FOREVER BY BILLY GRAHAM

paidinfull

BOB DYLAN SAYS HE WAS CHANGED FOREVER BY BILLY GRAHAM(Friday Church News Notes, March 27, 2015,www.wayoflife.org,[email protected], 866-295-4143)

In an interview withAARPmagazine, 60s rock icon Bob Dylan praised Billy Graham. He said, "Billy Graham was the greatest preacher and evangelist of my time--that guy could save souls and did. I went to two or three of his rallies in the '50s or '60s. This guy was like rock 'n' roll personified--volatile, explosive. He had the hair, the tone, the elocution--when he spoke, he brought the storm down. Clouds parted. Souls got saved, sometimes 30- or 40,000 of them. If you ever went to a Billy Graham rally back then, you were changed forever. There's never been a preacher like him. He could fill football stadiums before anybody. ... Long before Mick Jagger sang his first note or Bruce strapped on his first guitar--that's some of the part of rock 'n' roll that I retained. I had to. I saw Billy Graham in the flesh and heard him loud and clear" ("Looking Deeper into Dylan,"AARPthe magazine, Feb.-Mar. 2015). This is a strange statement. Dylan was changed forever in the 1950s and 1960s by Graham's preaching? Dylan, the drug user who taught the 1960s generation that there are no answers to life's mysteries (e.g., "Blowin' in the Wind"), who included Tarot cards and Buddhas on his album covers, who made a profession of faith in Christ in the 1980s only to repudiate it? Even rock historian Steve Turner, who has attempted to justify Dylan's apostasy, admits: "The womanizing and drunkenness that Dylan once saw as evidence of the old life have apparently continued almost uninterrupted" (Turner, "Watered Down Love,"Christianity Today, May 21, 2001). An article in theSan Luis Obispo(California)Registerfor March 16, 1983, quoted Dylan as saying: "Whoever said I was Christian? Like Gandhi, I'm Christian, I'm Jewish, I'm a Moslem, I'm a Hindu. I am a humanist." Actually, Bob Dylan well represents a large percentage of Billy Graham's converts. Multitudes of people professed faith in Christ, but biblical evidence of the new birth was rare. Graham helped Christianize America, but it was a house built on sand.

paidinfull

Not sure of the point of this article but it's not Billy Graham's responsibility for people to be saved. It's a personal choice between them and Jesus.
Good question. Bob's confused about how to pray to, but so are a lot of people who went to the front at Billy crusades. Is it the saints, Mary, Jesus or some of the others Bob mentions?

Billy ideas on salvation in Jesus alone are questionable to say the least. Don't take my word for it - look him up in the apostasy thread.

twerpv

Good question. Bob's confused about how to pray to, but so are a lot of people who went to the front at Billy crusades. Is it the saints, Mary, Jesus or some of the others Bob mentions?

Billy ideas on salvation in Jesus alone are questionable to say the least. Don't take my word for it - look him up in the apostasy thread.
I wasn't defending Billy Graham. I've never listened to any of his sermons/crusades/etc. My point was that regardless of who one hears God's word from and chooses to join the faith is responsible for there own search for His truth. If more "Christians" would do this (and do it honestly through the Bible), there would less apaotasy and deceit in our churches.

Jan51

BOB DYLAN SAYS HE WAS CHANGED FOREVER BY BILLY GRAHAM(Friday Church News Notes, March 27, 2015,www.wayoflife.org,[email protected], 866-295-4143)

In an interview withAARPmagazine, 60s rock icon Bob Dylan praised Billy Graham. He said, "Billy Graham was the greatest preacher and evangelist of my time--that guy could save souls and did. I went to two or three of his rallies in the '50s or '60s. This guy was like rock 'n' roll personified--volatile, explosive. He had the hair, the tone, the elocution--when he spoke, he brought the storm down. Clouds parted. Souls got saved, sometimes 30- or 40,000 of them. If you ever went to a Billy Graham rally back then, you were changed forever. There's never been a preacher like him. He could fill football stadiums before anybody. ... Long before Mick Jagger sang his first note or Bruce strapped on his first guitar--that's some of the part of rock 'n' roll that I retained. I had to. I saw Billy Graham in the flesh and heard him loud and clear" ("Looking Deeper into Dylan,"AARPthe magazine, Feb.-Mar. 2015). This is a strange statement. Dylan was changed forever in the 1950s and 1960s by Graham's preaching? Dylan, the drug user who taught the 1960s generation that there are no answers to life's mysteries (e.g., "Blowin' in the Wind"), who included Tarot cards and Buddhas on his album covers, who made a profession of faith in Christ in the 1980s only to repudiate it? Even rock historian Steve Turner, who has attempted to justify Dylan's apostasy, admits: "The womanizing and drunkenness that Dylan once saw as evidence of the old life have apparently continued almost uninterrupted" (Turner, "Watered Down Love,"Christianity Today, May 21, 2001). An article in theSan Luis Obispo(California)Registerfor March 16, 1983, quoted Dylan as saying: "Whoever said I was Christian? Like Gandhi, I'm Christian, I'm Jewish, I'm a Moslem, I'm a Hindu. I am a humanist." Actually, Bob Dylan well represents a large percentage of Billy Graham's converts. Multitudes of people professed faith in Christ, but biblical evidence of the new birth was rare. Graham helped Christianize America, but it was a house built on sand.
This relates to something I've been wondering about--the so-called Great Awakening revivals. I wonder how many truly became born-again Bible-believing Christians, or was it mostly a Christianizing of America? Revivals seem to major in emotionalism. Even when I read reports about current "revivals" they often seem lacking in a solid foundation on the Bible.

daygo

According to research those who gave their lives to christ in these revival meetings such as Billy Graham 80% never back up what they profess, I think probably much more than that.

paidinfull

I wasn't defending Billy Graham. I've never listened to any of his sermons/crusades/etc. My point was that regardless of who one hears God's word from and chooses to join the faith is responsible for there own search for His truth. If more "Christians" would do this (and do it honestly through the Bible), there would less apaotasy and deceit in our churches.
Yes we are on the same side here. I'm sure you'd agree that the preacher has the responsibility to preach the true Gospel and point those saved only to Jesus while the saved have the responsibility to grow up in Christ. In the baby stages Christians are vulnerable to winds of doctrine that can shipwreck their faith such as Bob's confused notions.

Billy Graham said he thought the pope was the greatest Christian on earth but those questioning Graham believe the pope is the greatest deceiver on earth. Billy thought Jesus wasn't the only way to heaven so serious questions needed to be asked to clear that up. Leaving that hanging in the air allows Bob Dylan to amass a bunch of saviors.

As far as the reality is concerned, I think it was close to 99% of the "converts" never showed up at a church. There was a fantastic wave of emotion and Billy would farm the RC's off to the priests and the rest off to their respective sheep pens.

The more we dig the move confusing it gets and Billy was confronted about it but nothing changed. There was no affirmations that only Jesus saves and no recognition that the RC church is a hell hole on earth. Quite the opposite in fact with adoring praise for the pope and several visits to the Vatican.

I agree with you that Bob Dylan had ample time and opportunity to discover the truth. I have a friend who read a book written by Billy Graham and as a direct result became a RC. Sweet water and bitter water are not to come from the same spring.

Carl

When someone hears the Word and cannot work it into their life with what they have is when they start questioning what the have. Others recognize right off that it is something different that is missing from their lives. Many just go on with their lives forgetting anything they heard. The seeds that fall along the path or amongst the thorns.

livin_in_the_Son

I can certainly understand why a ton of people would rush to "get saved" at a revival...Billy's or otherwise. I agree with Twerpv that each person is responsible for their own searching for the truth, and for salvation. I also have never heard any of Billy Graham's messages, nor read any of his books. Bob Dylan however can amass all the saviors he wants and that cannot be laid solely at the feet of Billy Graham. That would preclude that Bob Dylan never heard any other "path" to heaven except Billy's... and that's simply to hard to believe. Especially with the proliferation of altered states during the 60's... the Beatles went to India in '68 and studied transcendental meditation...

Even today... many celebrities promote all kinds of "religions"... from Kabbalah (Madonna), Scientology (Tom Cruise), and New Age (Oprah)... even atheism (Stephen Hawking)... Bob Dylan is a big boy, he can make up his own mind.

Geri7

Well there is the parable of the sower and not everybody that hears the Gospel message is going to respond the same way ...

Matt 13:3-8 ... Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

livin_in_the_Son

Well there is the parable of the sower and not everybody that hears the Gospel message is going to respond the same way ...

Matt 13:3-8 ... Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
Exactly!!

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
God used Billy Graham's preaching to save my wife, Andrea. It's not the preaching that saves ... only the Holy Spirit can do that, by drawing a person and convicting them. The person then has to respond. But it first requires hearing the gospel. Billy Graham gave Andrea the gospel ... as he has done to millions. That is ALL he or any other preacher is called to do— proclaim Jesus Christ and Him crucified. What the hearers then do with it is up to them. Which is the exact point of the parable of the seed that Geri7 referenced a couple of posts higher.

livin_in_the_Son

God used Billy Graham's preaching to save my wife, Andrea. It's not the preaching that saves ... only the Holy Spirit can do that, by drawing a person and convicting them. The person then has to respond. But it first requires hearing the gospel. Billy Graham gave Andrea the gospel ... as he has done to millions. That is ALL he or any other preacher is called to do— proclaim Jesus Christ and Him crucified. What the hearers then do with it is up to them. Which is the exact point of the parable of the seed that Geri7 referenced a couple of posts higher.
That exact thing reminds me of my husband... he prayed the "sinner's prayer" while we attended a mega-church a few years ago. Today he laughs about it and says that it "didn't take"... the truth of it was that my husband merely repeated a bunch of words that someone else told him to say... and it meant nothing to him at all. Praise God that my husband got truly saved in March of last year. What's ironic about that is that it didn't take a fancy speaker, or a fire and brimstone message to convince him... it was a bible tract placed on the bathroom sink, and watching the events in regards to Crimea. When he got saved, he did it alone, and didn't even tell me for 3 days. When I asked him why he waited... he said that it was because it didn't involve me, it was between him and God. I have no doubt that he's saved today.

Patiently...

That exact thing reminds me of my husband... he prayed the "sinner's prayer" while we attended a mega-church a few years ago. Today he laughs about it and says that it "didn't take"... the truth of it was that my husband merely repeated a bunch of words that someone else told him to say... and it meant nothing to him at all. Praise God that my husband got truly saved in March of last year. What's ironic about that is that it didn't take a fancy speaker, or a fire and brimstone message to convince him... it was a bible tract placed on the bathroom sink, and watching the events in regards to Crimea. When he got saved, he did it alone, and didn't even tell me for 3 days. When I asked him why he waited... he said that it was because it didn't involve me, it was between him and God. I have no doubt that he's saved today.
I'm so glad to hear that Juli. I always leave a bible tract in public bathrooms when I'm out. I have left hundreds. I was just recently thinking that it was probably a waste of time. Thank you for the encouragement.
Back to the thread.. The wonderful Christian lady that does my hair was just telling me last week that she and her parents were saved at a Billy Graham Crusade when she was young. She's 61 years old.

Geri7

I'm so glad to hear that Juli. I always leave a bible tract in public bathrooms when I'm out. I have left hundreds. I was just recently thinking that it was probably a waste of time. Thank you for the encouragement.
Leaving Bible tracts around in public bathrooms, dressing rooms, on buses, etc. is not a waste of time. I was witnessing to a man working for the Salvation Army and was ringing the bell outside of a Walmart a couple of years ago and he said he got saved from a Bible tract that was left on the seat of a public transportation bus. So keep up the good work of leaving those tracts where ever you go. :)

eddie

Dylan did make 1 christian album when Nocking on Heaven's Door "Slow Train Coming" came out, He as far as I know, returned to Judaism since. I pray for him.

Joe B

There will not have been anyone in the 20th century who brought anywhere near the numbers of people that Billy Graham brought to God's word. I pray for him each day in his old age and I do so in praise to God for the great blessing of his Holy Spirit that he poured out on him. I know Billy Graham praises God too for that blessing.
It's appropriate at this time of the year for me to put up again his last message to the world which certainly moves me: