Blessed Assurance

Pat

WHAT mATTERS - In Believing You Will Know​

When teaching that one has eternal life through trusting in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, I am often asked, “How can I know for sure that I am going to heaven?” There are many verses in scripture too numerous to mention here, that affirm the surety of heaven to those who believe the Gospel. But one thing I’ve learned, is that I cannot give them that assurance. Knowing you are saved and having assurance of going to heaven only comes from God after you have believed His Word, and you have been born again.[1]

The Word of God is given primarily to produce faith in us. Faith, when exercised, produces rest, joy, and peace, the companions of assurance.[2] There are three different ways the term, “Word of God” is used in scripture. First, there is the written Word of God, the Bible. This is the God breathed, inspired Word that came to chosen men of God, who via the leading of the Holy Spirit, wrote down those things that were told them.[3] We can read this Word of God, or physically hear it preached or taught.[4] Both the Old and New Testaments that we have today are the inspired Word of God. Next, there is the Word of God that became flesh.[5] This Word of God is a person, the second member of the eternal, triune Godhead (the other two members being identified as the Father and the Holy Spirit.) We know Him in His human form as Jesus, the living Word of God that is powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword.[6] Third, we have the spoken Word of God, also known in the Greek language as the “rhema” of Christ. This spoken Word is that which the Lord Jesus speaks in our hearts and the Holy Spirit affirms as true and trustworthy. This is the Word of God that produces faith. Thus, Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.[7] But, we also see that God uses all three forms of the Word of God together to produce faith. Jesus, the living Word, speaking “rhema” in our hearts, the truths found written in the Word of God.

Once we believe Him, we will also know Him, not just know about Him. He saves us. He lives in us. He gives us eternal life. He gives us assurance. We know what awaits us because we have believed what He says. Listen to these words from 1 John 5:11-13, …God has given to us eternal life…He that has the Son has life…These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that you may know that you have eternal life. What matters is, if you have truly believed, you will surely know.

[1] John 3:3,7
[2] Hebrews 4:3,9; Romans 15:13
[3] Hebrews 1:1; 2 Timothy 3:16
[4] Romans 10:14,15
[5] John 1:1,14
[6] Hebrews 4:12,13
[7] Romans 10:17