Biden considers China tariffs rollback, plans talks with Xi

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Biden considers China tariffs rollback, plans talks with Xi
Biden said on Saturday he was in the process of making up his mind on tariffs and the potential call with Xi, though he hasn't made a final determination yet.
By ROMAN MEITAV
Published: JUNE 18, 2022

President Joe Biden is considering rolling back some of the tariffs that former president Donald J. Trump imposed on Chinese goods, in hopes of mitigating skyrocketing price hikes on goods, according to CNN. US officials are also working to arrange a possible call this summer between President Joe Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping, according to Bloomberg. Biden said on Saturday he was in the process of making up his mind on tariffs and the potential call with Xi, according to an official familiar with the matter, though he hasn't made a final determination yet.

Biden and Xi last spoke in a nearly two-hour-long video call on March 18, their first following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The US president warned his counterpart at the time of “consequences” should Beijing provide support for President Vladimir Putin’s war, according to the White House readout of the chat. Business groups and some outside economists have been pressuring the administration to relax at least a portion of the taxes on imports, saying it would be a significant step that the president could take to immediately cut costs for consumers.

more.............. https://www.jpost.com/international/article-709771

Footsteps

Like so many in Washington, he never held a real job. He never drove an 18 wheeler as he claimed. He has the negotiating ability of an earthworm. He has no knowledge of economics other than graft and bribery. He has no ability to formulate an idea other than enlarging our debt to a level impossible to handle, and still he tells us he is doing a great job, despite a total absence of facts. Have we repaired a bridge or a highway? Done anything that your Press Secretary can show us a picture of? I would settle for a progress chart if anyone on your staff could make one without using phony math. You have the worst staff and department heads in history but no one has been fired or replaced. We now have two million immigrants that you have allowed into a country that is going into unrelenting recession - are you hoping to find new Cabinet Secretaries among them?
I honestly feel sorry for your new Press Secretary. At least Psnarky was nasty enough to make a cutesy remark as a smoke screen. Your new Press Secretary has a three ring binder so big she can’t find anything in it that relates to the question. And she can’t tell the truth or she would become the first staffer to be fired. You have zero accomplishments to reference. Her talking points sound like slick advertisements for green new goals that will never be reached and lists of what you intend to do, thereby reflecting Reagan’s definition of a Democrat: “A new husband sitting next to his wife’s bed, telling her how great things are going to be”.
I was wondering when you were going to destroy the trade balance Trump had achieved. I guess it’s showtime.

Nemophilist

Like so many in Washington, he never held a real job. He never drove an 18 wheeler as he claimed. He has the negotiating ability of an earthworm. He has no knowledge of economics other than graft and bribery. He has no ability to formulate an idea other than enlarging our debt to a level impossible to handle, and still he tells us he is doing a great job, despite a total absence of facts. Have we repaired a bridge or a highway? Done anything that your Press Secretary can show us a picture of? I would settle for a progress chart if anyone on your staff could make one without using phony math. You have the worst staff and department heads in history but no one has been fired or replaced. We now have two million immigrants that you have allowed into a country that is going into unrelenting recession - are you hoping to find new Cabinet Secretaries among them?
I honestly feel sorry for your new Press Secretary. At least Psnarky was nasty enough to make a cutesy remark as a smoke screen. Your new Press Secretary has a three ring binder so big she can’t find anything in it that relates to the question. And she can’t tell the truth or she would become the first staffer to be fired. You have zero accomplishments to reference. Her talking points sound like slick advertisements for green new goals that will never be reached and lists of what you intend to do, thereby reflecting Reagan’s definition of a Democrat: “A new husband sitting next to his wife’s bed, telling her how great things are going to be”.
I was wondering when you were going to destroy the trade balance Trump had achieved. I guess it’s showtime.
:agree Well said!!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
That's about the only thing Trump did that diben has so far left in place. Personally I think the tariffs were a bad idea as they don't hurt China and ultimately the American consumers pay the tariff in full. In theory, producers would move factories out of China to avoid the tariffs, but I have no idea if that has happened even a little bit.