Biblical Seperation

Biblical separation is a topic that often does not receive the attention it deserves, given its prevalence in the Bible. There are numerous references in both the Old and New Testaments that deal with this subject. While I will only list a few found in the New Testament, the Old Testament is abundant with the idea of not listening to false prophets, among other things.

Many of the references I have listed pertain to separating from false teachers, false brethren, and Christians who are living in sin. The verse that has always caused me much confusion is Romans 16:17, which I have quoted above.

The Apostle Paul urges us to mark and avoid those who deviate from his doctrine and thereby cause others to sin. Therefore, this admonition is for us to steer clear of false teachers. It is my understanding that one can be a false teacher and still be a true Christian. However, many Christians teach false doctrine, which leads others into sin.

The Book of Romans covers a wide range of doctrine. Does this mean that we should avoid any teacher who does not align with what the Apostle Paul teaches in the Book of Romans and his other epistles? I am curious to hear others' thoughts on this issue and how they have applied it.

Avoiding false teachers is crucial because false doctrine can lead us into sin and away from God. It can also weaken and hinder our effectiveness in our Christian life.

Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. [Rom 16:17 NKJV]

I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world.

But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person. [1Co 5:9-11 NKJV]

But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us. [2Th 3:6 NKJV]

And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed. [2Th 3:14 NKJV]

If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a [means of] gain. From such withdraw yourself. [1Ti 6:3-5 NKJV]

having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! [2Ti 3:5 NKJV]

Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition, [Tit 3:10 NKJV]

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds. [2Jo 1:10-11 NKJV]

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Pilgrim, I think you are right, there has been a real lack of teaching on this, particularly in our Laodicean church age that we seem to be largely immersed in where biblical knowledge is lacking.

I know that God does give many instances of seeking restoration and peace with those who claim Christ and are on paths contrary to God's Word (after all, He came to bring restoration). I think it's important to make sure to utilize those tools given to us and well worth the effort. I've had times where I've had to do this. Some did not respond, some responded right away and avoided some serious issues (they just weren't aware of what God's Word actually said), others didn't respond but years later they got back to me to share their appreciation for reaching out as the Lord used that, along with His Word and Holy Spirit to bring a corrective and much better spiritual path in their lives. Praise God, He gave me the courage to do this as I'm naturally one who likes to avoid conflict and I'm so glad for His strength to have followed His lead in this.

And, for sure, as Paul said, avoid those consistently and stubbornly promoting things contrary to God's Word, to warn others with God's truth as well, so as to protect spiritually.....it's really not an if but when it happens.
:sad

Here's some scriptures I think are helpful to consider in conjunction with what you shared :) :

“If another believer sins against you, go privately and point out the offense. If the other person listens and confesses it, you have won that person back. But if you are unsuccessful, take one or two others with you and go back again, so that everything you say may be confirmed by two or three witnesses. If the person still refuses to listen, take your case to the church. Then if he or she won’t accept the church’s decision, treat that person as a pagan or a corrupt tax collector.

“I tell you the truth, whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit[g] on earth will be permitted in heaven.

“I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. 20 For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.”

Matthew 18:15-20

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.

Galatians 6:1-3

But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life. In this way, you will keep yourselves safe in God’s love.

And you must show mercy to those whose faith is wavering. Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to still others, but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives.

Jude 20-23

Back