Beware of SDA videos on the end times

Set free 47

I have seen several videos on end times prophecies, but reading below the titles they were made by the Seventh Day Adventists. Personally, I don't want to take a chance on them corrupting my mind so I have been avoiding them from now on.

SkyRider

Back in the early 80's, while serving in the Air Force based in Charleston SC, I got heavily into Bible prophecy - thanks Hal Lindsey! There was a guy in town for about a 5 day seminar, giving lectures and presentations on End Times events. I was really enjoying it as I was fascinated by the subject. He didn't seem to have any agenda on the first three nights but then started to talk about the popes and their religion. I was still a Catholic at the time and it was the first time I had ever heard anything derogatory about the popes and Catholicism. But, his lectures and photographs of the Holy Land and Israel's role in foretold events had me glued to my seat. Then, about the 4th night, some of his SDA leanings were introduced into the seminar. The guy's name was Lyle Albrecht and I think was somewhat well known to a degree outside SDA circles. Well, as a blind Catholic at the time, I wasn't interested in switching teams….was only there to fill my appetite for the Bible prophecy. I did pick up one of his tapes concerning foretold events, and the same thing was going on those tapes - try to persuade folks to join their religion. I couldn’t attend the last night of presentations because I had to go fly an Air Force “mission”, but I probably would have opted out anyway. I'm sure it was heavy with SDA propaganda, so…no thanks. I did agree with him years later on his take against Roman Catholicism when I got saved, but still had no desire to join the SDA ranks.

So, what is the real deal with them? Would they also be in the category of being labeled as a cult, just like the RCC, the Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses? From watching the tail end of Doug Bachelor's prophecy tv program, I can tell that their eschatology is a bit askew but have no real knowledge of how far off they are in other matters of Christianity, other than their adherence to Saturday being the true Sabbath.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the early 80's, while serving in the Air Force based in Charleston SC, I got heavily into Bible prophecy - thanks Hal Lindsey! There was a guy in town for about a 5 day seminar, giving lectures and presentations on End Times events. I was really enjoying it as I was fascinated by the subject. He didn't seem to have any agenda on the first three nights but then started to talk about the popes and their religion. I was still a Catholic at the time and it was the first time I had ever heard anything derogatory about the popes and Catholicism. But, his lectures and photographs of the Holy Land and Israel's role in foretold events had me glued to my seat. Then, about the 4th night, some of his SDA leanings were introduced into the seminar. The guy's name was Lyle Albrecht and I think was somewhat well known to a degree outside SDA circles. Well, as a blind Catholic at the time, I wasn't interested in switching teams….was only there to fill my appetite for the Bible prophecy. I did pick up one of his tapes concerning foretold events, and the same thing was going on those tapes - try to persuade folks to join their religion. I couldn’t attend the last night of presentations because I had to go fly an Air Force “mission”, but I probably would have opted out anyway. I'm sure it was heavy with SDA propaganda, so…no thanks. I did agree with him years later on his take against Roman Catholicism when I got saved, but still had no desire to join the SDA ranks.

So, what is the real deal with them? Would they also be in the category of being labeled as a cult, just like the RCC, the Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses? From watching the tail end of Doug Bachelor's prophecy tv program, I can tell that their eschatology is a bit askew but have no real knowledge of how far off they are in other matters of Christianity, other than their adherence to Saturday being the true Sabbath.

Here are some articles from the main site that will help shed some light on the SDA:

https://www.raptureforums.com/cults-false-religions/the-seventh-day-adventists/

https://www.raptureforums.com/cults-false-religions/ellen-white-prophet-among/

https://www.raptureforums.com/cults-false-religions/seventh-day-adventist-eschatology/

I hope that helps some.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Before I came to Christ I had a friend in school who was a SDA. He was always talking about the corruption of the Popes and Jesus 'still hanging on the cross at the Catholic Church.' Him and his wife were very nice people. I found the SDAs very focused on the sabbath, health food, and the evils of the Catholic Church.

pythons

As pretty much is the case in all faith Traditions there exist within the goup stellar people. That said Seventh-day Adventism has some proclivities that a person should be aware of. Namely.

• Rejection of the Trinity Doctrine in favor of "THE PERSONALITY OF GOD DOCTRINE". SDA's believe that God is 3 "Being's" and that there isn't an Ontological Oneness. God is ONE in the sense that Michael (or Christ) the archangel and the disciples were ONE, or a husband and wife could be united in purpose. It is also taught that Christ could have sinned against "God" and lost his Salvation whereby Ultimate God would have eternally smote Michael Christ so that it would eternally be as if Christ had never existed in the 1st place.

• Father or Ultimate God is flesh and bone complete with EVERY organ, member and part a perfect man has.
  • Michael Christ is like an identical twin of Father.

• It is believed that since October 22, 1844 Christ has been in a literal Sanctuary in heaven sprinkling his own literal blood making an atonement.
  • The Catholic Church in effect stole the Sabbath day by initiating worship on the 1st day of the week and Christians who observe Sunday pay homage to the Beast and at some point in the future will receive the mark of the beast if they continue to worship God on Sunday.

• Ellen White is understood to be a prophet in the Biblical sense - her writings rebuke Christians and correct the incorrect doctrines of man.

• SDA's teach that Christians should abstain from foods listed as unclean in the Law of Moses AND that if one wants to be translated they are to adopt the Edonic diet (a diet of fruit, grains and vegetables)

Of all the things SDA's believe the most dangerous (IMHO) is their rejection of the Trinity Doctrine.

As pretty much is the case in all faith Traditions there exist within the goup stellar people. That said Seventh-day Adventism has some proclivities that a person should be aware of. Namely.

• Rejection of the Trinity Doctrine in favor of "THE PERSONALITY OF GOD DOCTRINE". SDA's believe that God is 3 "Being's" and that there isn't an Ontological Oneness. God is ONE in the sense that Michael (or Christ) the archangel and the disciples were ONE, or a husband and wife could be united in purpose. It is also taught that Christ could have sinned against "God" and lost his Salvation whereby Ultimate God would have eternally smote Michael Christ so that it would eternally be as if Christ had never existed in the 1st place.

• Father or Ultimate God is flesh and bone complete with EVERY organ, member and part a perfect man has.

• It is believed that since October 22, 1844 Christ has been in a literal Sanctuary in heaven sprinkling his own literal blood making an atonement.
  • The Catholic Church in effect stole the Sabbath day by initiating worship on the 1st day of the week and Christians who observe Sunday pay homage to the Beast and at some point in the future will receive the mark of the beast if they continue to worship God on Sunday.

• Ellen White is understood to be a prophet in the Biblical sense - her writings rebuke Christians and correct the incorrect doctrines of man.

• SDA's teach that Christians should abstain from foods listed as unclean in the Law of Moses AND that if one wants to be translated they are to adopt the Edonic diet (a diet of fruit, grains and vegetables)

Of all the things SDA's believe the most dangerous (IMHO) is their rejection of the Trinity Doctrine.
You are correct with these points... I didn't know they believed Christ was Michael the archangel??? I knew Jehovahs Witnesses believed this. Wow.

pythons

You are correct with these points... I didn't know they believed Christ was Michael the archangel??? I knew Jehovahs Witnesses believed this. Wow.

Unfortunately they do, and, it keeps spiraling down from there.

We read in Rev. xii, 7, 8, " There was war in Heaven ; 'Michael (or Christ) and his angels fought against the dragon (the Devil); and the dragon fought and his angels, and prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in Heaven."

You can go to page 3 of the following link to read the above statement in context: https://documents.adventistarchives...8680901-V16-09.pdf#search="Michael or Christ"

The SDA's believe Christ to be something Father God exuded far back prior to "time" began. In this sense SDA's can gloat that there never was a "TIME" Christ wasn't. To even above average Baptist, Lutheran or Catholic this would sound within Orthodoxy - that is until you peel back the onion a little bit and see stuff like:

Sabbath Herald, October 13, 1859: they are one in Spirit, one in purpose, and one in action ; but not identical in body and person. This view, and this only, is consistent with the
scripture which represents Christ as a created being, ["the beginning of the creation of God," Rev. iii, 14], and that large class of texts which speak of Christ as distinct from the Father, in as plain terms as language, can employ, and declare him to be subordinate to him, sent forth by him, dying to reconcile the world to him, &c., declarations utterly at variance with the popular idea of a triune God

Thus they can say 'he was THERE at the beginning'....
...Of course they would say that because they think he WAS the beginning of time.
...After being exuded by Father God.

The key to understanding all this to get your head wrapped around the concept of "FLESH FATHER". The Personality of God Doctrine of SDA's dictate that Father is "Flesh, bone, organ" in composition. Therefore, Michael (or Christ) became self - aware once the flesh deity he was licensed to operate was loaned to him.

Like the following:

SDA Signs of the Times Church Paper April 8, 1889:
While both are of the same nature, the Father is first in point of time. He is also greater in that he had no beginning, while Christ's personality had a beginning.

You can see / detect the SDA "Personality of God" Doctrine here - essentially all it means is that Father is a flesh god who exuded his own flesh material and a new personality was formed - i.e. Michael Christ.

Oh, another point I forgot to mention. Jehovah's Witnesses ARE ADVENTIST'S, they are just not "Seventh-Day Adventists".

Michael Christ was free to operate this Avatar provided he remained loyal to Father god - had he not the license to operate the Avatar would be revoked causing eternal death to the "Personality" of Christ / Michael.

Sabbath Herald, November 21, 1854: So, after all that has been said and written by these two schools, it appears that there is no real difference in their respective theories, in reFerence to the atonement; both have, in fact, only a human sacrifice: but with reference to their views of the highest nature of the Son of God, they are as far asunder as finitude and infinitude, time and eternity. The former makes the " only Begotten of the Father," a mere mortal, finite man; the latter makes him the Infinite, Omnipotent, All-wise, and Eternal God, absolutely equal with the Everlasting Father. Now, I understand the truth to be in the medium between these two extremes. I have proved, as I think conclusively, 1st, that the Son of God in his highest nature existed before the creation of the first world, or the first intelligent being in the vast Universe; 2d, that he had an origin; that "he was the first born of every creature;" "the beginning of the creation of God ;" [Rev. iii, 14;] 3d, that, in his highest nature, all things in heaven and in earth were created, and are upheld, by him; 4th, in his dignity, he was exalted far above all the angels of heaven, and all the kings and potentates of earth; 5th, in his nature he was immortal, (not in an absolute sense,) and Divine; 6th, in his titles and privileges, he was " the only begotten of his Father," whose glory he shared "before the world was ;" the "image of the invisible God ;" "in the form of God ;" and "thought it not robbery to be equal with God ;" "the likeness of his Father's glory and express image of his person ;" " the Word" who "was in the beginning with God" and who "was God."

Bible Eco and Signs of the times October 1, 1899: There are two facts which are amply sufficient to account for Christ's statement recorded in John 14 : 28. One is that Christ is the Son of God. While both are of the same nature, the Father is first in point of time. He is also greater in that he had no beginning, while Christ's personality had a beginning.

Sabbath Herald, November 10, 1859: THE inconsistent positions held by many in regard to the Trinity, as it is termed, has; no doubt, been the prime cause of many other errors. Erroneous views of the divinity of Christ are apt to lead us into error in regard to the nature of the atonement. Viewing the atonement as an arbitrary scheme (and all must believe it to be so, who view Christ as the only "very and eternal God"), has led to some of the arbitrary conclusions of one or two classes of persons ; such as Predestinarianism, Universalism, &e., &c. The doctrine which we propose to examine, was established by the Council of Nice, A. D., 3:5, and ever since that period, persons not believing this peculiar tenet, have been denounced by popes and priests, as dangerous heretics. It was for a disbelief in this doctrine, that the Arians were anathematized in A. B., 513. As. we can trace this doctrine no farther back than the origin of the " Man of Sin." and as we find this dogma at that time established rather by force than otherwise, we claim the right to investigate the matter, and ascertain the bearing of Scripture on this subject. Just here I will meet a question which is very frequently asked, namely, Do you believe in the divinity of Christ? Most unquestionably we do; but we don't believe, as the M. E. church Discipline teaches, that Christ is the-very and eternal God; and, at the same time, verily man ; that the human part was the Son, and the divine part was the Father,

Sabbath Herald, September 24, 1863, “HOW SHALL WE EXPLAIN IT: "In Rev 1:8 occurs a passage which has presented some difficulty to those who REJECT THE DOCTRINE OF THE TRINITY. The text, with its forgoing connection, reads as following: “Behold, He cometh with clouds, and every eye shall see Him, and they also who pierced Him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of Him. Even so, Amen. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the ending thus saith the Lord, which is, which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.” Verses 7 & 8. The question has often arisen here, IN WHAT SENSE IS JESUS CHRIST THE ALMIGHTY”. TO US THIS QUESTION IS EASILY ANSWERED. WE DO NOT BELIEVE THAT CHRIST IS AT ALL MEANT BY THE PHRASE “THE ALMIGHTY”, AND FOR THIS BELIEF WE WILL GIVE A FEW SHORT REASONS. 1. WE THINK THERE ARE TWO PERSONS brought to view in these texts – the Savior in the 7th verse and; the Father in the eighth. There is another most august title in verse 8 which NEVER REFERRS TO THE SON

Sabbath Herald December 22, 1896

"719.—— READING OF 2 THESS. 1:10 —CHRIST'S IMMORTALITY. “2. Does 1 Tim. 1:14-16 teach that God only by nature has immortality, and that Christ did not have it till it was bestowed upon him by the Father? J. F. A. “...(2) The expression 'that God "only hath immortality," in the sense of being originally the supreme fountain and source of all life, must be true in the very nature of the case if he antedates all other beings. Christ had a beginning. John 1 :1. But that was not like the beginning of other intelligences in the universe, which are all creations of Christ himself. Col. 1 : 16. He was not a created being, but "proceeded forth and came from God." John 8 :42. He is the only begotten Son of the Father. John 1: 14, 18. By nature, then, he is co-equal with God. From the beginning of his existence he must have been as essentially, immortal as God; and yet it all came from God. So Christ says that, "As the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself." John 5: 26. No others have immortality, except as God and Christ bestow it upon them”.

and of course, some rather blunt affirmations.

Sabbath Herald, September 7, 1869: And as to the Son of God, he could be excluded also, for he had God for His Father, and did, at some point in the eternity of the past, have beginning of days. So that if we use Paul’s language in an absolute sense, it would be impossible to find but one being in the universe, and that is God the Father, who is without father, or mother, or descent, or beginning of days, or end of life. Yet probably no one for a moment contends that Melchizedek was God the Father.’’

I posted these because I've found that SDA's will pop into a thread and claim they have been in the church for 16 years or some such number and NEVER heard of any of this. They know what they are saying is not true but they have been "conditioned" so vigorously that they make statements like this. Thus it helps for them to see someone has posted material from their own archives.

A warning from their prophet Ellen White:

Ellen White, MR760 9.5
Those who seek to remove the old landmarks are not holding fast; they are not remembering how they have received and heard. Those who try to bring in theories that would remove the pillars of our faith concerning the sanctuary or concerning the personality of God or of Christ, are working as blind men. They are seeking to bring in uncertainties and to set the people of God adrift without an anchor.”

In other words DON'T you dare ever dispute or deny that Father god has a flesh body.

Hope this adds a little more clarification as to where the SDA's are coming from. The terms SDA's use are the same however in many cases they have a vasty different meaning poured into them.

Unfortunately they do, and, it keeps spiraling down from there.

You can go to page 3 of the following link to read the above statement in context: https://documents.adventistarchives.org/Periodicals/YI/YI18680901-V16-09.pdf#search="Michael or Christ"

The SDA's believe Christ to be something Father God exuded far back prior to "time" began. In this sense SDA's can gloat that there never was a "TIME" Christ wasn't. To even above average Baptist, Lutheran or Catholic this would sound within Orthodoxy - that is until you peel back the onion a little bit and see stuff like:

Thus they can say 'he was THERE at the beginning'....
...Of course they would say that because they think he WAS the beginning of time.
...After being exuded by Father God.

The key to understanding all this to get your head wrapped around the concept of "FLESH FATHER". The Personality of God Doctrine of SDA's dictate that Father is "Flesh, bone, organ" in composition. Therefore, Michael (or Christ) became self - aware once the flesh deity he was licensed to operate was loaned to him.

Like the following:

You can see / detect the SDA "Personality of God" Doctrine here - essentially all it means is that Father is a flesh god who exuded his own flesh material and a new personality was formed - i.e. Michael Christ.

Oh, another point I forgot to mention. Jehovah's Witnesses ARE ADVENTIST'S, they are just not "Seventh-Day Adventists".

Michael Christ was free to operate this Avatar provided he remained loyal to Father god - had he not the license to operate the Avatar would be revoked causing eternal death to the "Personality" of Christ / Michael.

and of course, some rather blunt affirmations.

I posted these because I've found that SDA's will pop into a thread and claim they have been in the church for 16 years or some such number and NEVER heard of any of this. They know what they are saying is not true but they have been "conditioned" so vigorously that they make statements like this. Thus it helps for them to see someone has posted material from their own archives.

A warning from their prophet Ellen White:

In other words DON'T you dare ever dispute or deny that Father god has a flesh body.

Hope this adds a little more clarification as to where the SDA's are coming from. The terms SDA's use are the same however in many cases they have a vasty different meaning poured into them.
Wow, thank you @pythons I had no idea their beliefs were so heretical to even deny the very deity of Christ. So the JWs were an offshoot of the SDAs? Scary stuff indeed.

SkyRider

Interesting stuff - thanks for “ peeling the onion”. Lot of layers there. I guess I'll stick with Texas Roadhouse's Blooming Onion, or whatever they call it. Amazing to me how the devil must love to dupe people by religion, especially those of the so-called “Christian” variety. Of course, he has many lost souls wrapped up in Islam, Hinduism, Shintoism and all the rest of the non-”Christian” -isms, but he has to be especially delighted by the beguiled folks who think that they are involved in a “true church”.

I've known a few Mormons over the years - entire families and co-workers - and they all epitomized to me outwardly of how a true Christian should conduct themselves - very polite, very kind, family oriented, not seemingly given over to worldly vices, and just appeared to be very Christian. Then you read about the religion's history, the character of the founder of the religion, and their whacked out belief system - they become gods in the afterlife; Jesus was a man; was the spiritual brother of Lucifer - and other totally unbiblical beliefs. It hits you like a ton of bricks how far out they are in their religion. Our neighbors across the street were Mormons and I was dating their daughter for a while. It was back in my Catholic years, so we were both in a couple of false religions. But once I got saved, I would make attempts to reach her family first by sending a video tape annonymously of former Mormons exposing the false religion, then again last year sending some copied articles from GotQuestions.org about Mormonism, followed up a month later a book that also exposes Mormonism. All of that was done in secret, as I didn't want to tick her off by my attempts to “see the light”. As you know, most people wrapped up in a false religion are not open to the truth or don't want to see their particular religion “bashed”. Of course, that is not our intent, but to see these folks saved, no matter what false path that they are on.

I've known a few Mormons over the years - entire families and co-workers - and they all epitomized to me outwardly of how a true Christian should conduct themselves - very polite, very kind, family oriented, not seemingly given over to worldly vices, and just appeared to be very Christian.
Same here... and it burns within me and irritates me so much how perfectly Christian they make themselves appear. They use all the right Christian lingo and don't like to be called Mormons anymore even but christians or latter day saints.

2 Timothy 3:5 NASB95 — holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these.

For we know what the scripture says about angels preching a different gospel (Islam/Mormonism). Let God's curse be upon them.

Galatians 1:8-9 NASB95 — But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

pythons

I'll throw up a few more quotes I was able to find on their archive site.

Sabbath Herald, September 7, 1869: And as to the Son of God, he could be excluded also, for he had God for His Father, and did, at some point in the eternity of the past, have beginning of days. So that if we use Paul’s language in an absolute sense, it would be impossible to find but one being in the universe, and that is God the Father, who is without father, or mother, or descent, or beginning of days, or end of life. Yet probably no one for a moment contends that Melchizedek was God the Father.’’

Below is their Prophet Ellen G. White telling her adherents to DISREGARD masses of Scripture if those presented Scriptures assert something different than what her "testimonies" the prior 50 years had stated.

Ellen White / 1SM 161; CW 32; The Early Elmshaven Years 426
We are NOT to receive the words of those who come with a message that contradicts the special points of our faith
. They gather together a mass of Scripture, and pile it as proof around their asserted theories. . . . And while the Scriptures are God's word, and are to be respected, the application of them, IF such application moves one pillar from the foundation that God has sustained these fifty years, is a great mistake. He who makes such an application knows not the wonderful demonstration of the Holy Spirit that gave power and force to the past messages that have come to the people of God

The "special points" of SDA Faith were defined to specifically be:

1) The Personality of God Doctrine - which they claimed combated the Trinity Doctrine - which was called the "wine of Babylon"
&
2) The Sanctuary or Investigative Judgement Doctrine.

Scripture is understood to be somewhat muddy or unclear as contrasted with Ellen White which operated like a "sock puppet" (as in God telling her exactly what to say). Ellen claimed to have been enabled by God to sort out truth from error. As a Roman Catholic I recognize a Magisterial Authority and the following description by Ellen White as to the extent of her gift indicates she (and the Adventists) are no more Protestant than I am.

Ellen White
At that time one error after another pressed in upon us; ministers and doctors brought in new doctrines. We would search the Scriptures with much prayer, and the Holy Spirit would bring the truth to our minds. Sometimes whole nights would be devoted to searching the Scriptures and earnestly asking God for guidance. Companies of devoted men and women assembled for this purpose. The power of God would come upon ME, and I was enabled clearly to define what is truth and what is error. As the points of our faith were thus established, our feet were placed upon a solid foundation. We accepted the truth point by point, under the demonstration of the Holy Spirit. I would be taken off in vision, and explanations would be given me. I was given illustrations of heavenly things, and of the sanctuary, so that we were placed where light was shining on us in clear, distinct rays.--Gospel Works, p. 302. {3SM 32.1}"

The following shows the contrast between Ellen White's writings and Scripture.

Ellen White
The Bible
is written by inspired men, but IT is NOT God's mode of thought and expression. It is that of humanity. God, as a writer, is not represented. Men will often say such an expression is not like God. But God has not put Himself in words, in logic, in rhetoric, on trial in the Bible. The writers of the Bible were God's penmen, NOT His pen." (Selected Messages, Vol. 1, Chapter One "The Inspiration of the Prophetic Writers")

Ellen White's moniker is "THE PEN OF INSPIRATION" - thus the Bible writers were NOT God's pen because God was NOT BEING REPRESENTED by the likes of Moses, Paul, etc. Below Ellen illustrates her own writings:

Ellen White Sabbath Herald Jan 26,1905
The word given me is, 'You are faithfully to reprove those who would mar the faith of the people of God. Write out the things which I shall give you, that they may stand as a witness to the truth till the end of time.' I said, 'If any of the citizens of Battle Creek wish to know what Mrs. White believes and teaches, let them read her published books. My labors would be naught should I preach another gospel. That which I have written is what the Lord has bidden me write. I have not been instructed to change that which I have sent out

Ellen White Selected Messages 3.83

Men may get up scheme after scheme and the enemy will seek to seduce souls from the truth, BUT all who believe the Lord has spoken through Sister White and has given her a message WILL BE SAFE FROM THE MANY DELUSIONS THAT WILL COME IN THESE LAST DAYS.” (same quote can be found in “YE SHALL RECEIVE POWER p. 238.5))

Ellen White
After the passing of the time in 1844 we searched for the truth as for hidden treasure. I met with the brethren, and we studied and prayed earnestly... When they came to the point in their study where they said, "We can do nothing more," the Spirit of the Lord would come upon ME. I would be taken off in vision, and a clear explanation of the passages we had been studying would be given ME, with instruction as to how WE were to labor and teach effectively. Thus light was given that helped us to understand the scriptures in regard to Christ, his mission, and his priesthood. A line of truth extending from that time to the time when we shall enter the city of God, was made plain to ME, and I gave to others the instruction that the Lord had given ME." (Review and Herald, May 25, 1905)

Ellen White
There are those who say, ‘Someone MANIPULATES her writings.’ I acknowledge the charge. It is One who is mighty in counsel, One who presents before me the condition of things” (1MR 30).

Testimonies, Vol. 8, p. 298
We MUST follow the directions given through the Spirit of Prophecy [Mrs. White's writings]. ... God has spoken to us through His Word. He has spoken to us through the Testimonies to the church and through the books that have helped to make plain our present duty and the position that we should now occupy

Testimonies, Vol. 5, p. 66
If you lessen the confidence of God's people in the testimonies he has sent them, you are rebelling against God as certainly as were Korah, Dathan and Abirum

Finally, these last two really sets the record straight as to how Ellen White is understood.

Ellen White
In ancient times God spoke through the mouths of prophets and apostles. In these days he speaks to them by the Testimonies of his Spirit" (Testimonies, Vol. 4, p. 148; Vol. 5., p. 661) Ellen White’s other name in Adventism is “THE SPIRIT OF PROPHECY” or “SOP” for short.

Ellen White
Some are ready to inquire: 'Who told Sister White these things?' They have even put the question to me: 'Did anyone tell you these things?' I could answer them: 'Yes; yes, the angel of God has spoken to me.' But what they mean is: 'Have the brethren and sisters been exposing their faults?' For the future, I shall not belittle the testimonies that God has given me, to make explanations to try to satisfy such narrow minds, BUT shall treat all such questions as an insult to the Spirit of God. God has seen fit to thrust me into positions in which He has not placed any other one in our ranks. He has laid upon me burdens of reproof that He has not given to any other one." (Testimonies, vol. 3, pp. 314, 315)

The above is only representative of the kinds of statements one can find - SDA's generally don't produce these statements when they are "shepherding" new converts into the SDA Church - these things are taught after the prey has been softened and conditioned to receive them.

pythons

Mathew 6:33 said: Wow, thank you @pythons I had no idea their beliefs were so heretical to even deny the very deity of Christ. So the JWs were an offshoot of the SDAs? Scary stuff indeed.

the JW's were offshoots of the Millerite movement.

The Millerite movement attracted (in their area of operation) many followers from many Denominations, William Miller himself was a Baptist.

When Miller finally admitted his error and told his followers to return to their former churches for the most part they did. What was LEFT was the anti-Trinitarians - these anti-Trinitarians soon started to squabble over what doctrines to believe, who was or wasn't a "prophet", etc. The anti-Trinitarians fractured into multiple groups which are ALL ADVENTIST.

A Christadelphian is an "Adventist" - just not a Seventh-day "Adventist".
A JW is an "Adventist" - just not a Seventh-day "Adventist".

If you peel back the onion slightly you will see Adventists share some core doctrines.

Rejection of the Trinity
Belief that there isn't a soul or spirit that lives on after death.
Belief that there isn't now a literal hell with spirits suffering in it and that there will never be - they believe the lost will be burned up into nothing. Anything short of this they claim demonstrated God is an evil God for making people suffer for eternity for wrong's they did in a human lifetime. They also make the claim that people who believe in the spirit / soul going on after death believe the devils like to Eve in the Garden of Eden (you will not die). I realize this is very weak reasoning but it's what they say about it.

Micki

MARANATHA!!

I’m going to disagree with you. On the worst of their doctrines. In order to be baptized as an adventist one must agree whatever their founder ellen white says has the same power and authority of Holy Scripture. They also believe life begins when a person is born and draws breath. This means abortion is not a sin to them as babies in the womb are not alive, and adventist hospitals in California are murder mills for the unborn. They teach something called ‘present truth’ which is not The Gospel, but their version of The Gospel plus their version of the first ten of the 613 commandments from the old testament. They are taught it is heresy to question the writings of ellen white, that people who go to church on Sunday are heretics worshipping the sun, that only those going to church on Saturday can be saved and that they are the true remnant church while Protestants are a fallen church. Not every adventist holds to all these beliefs, but these beliefs are the mainline doctrine of their cult. They also believe Jesus is a lesser God Who God exalted rather than Jesus is The Mighty God Who humbled Himself. It is a very twisted cult and its adherents for the most part have no interest in The True Jesus. Finally, they do not believe in eternal damnation in the lake of fire. Those whose works aren’t good enough to qualify them for heaven will just cease to exist entirely.

pythons

I’m going to disagree with you. On the worst of their doctrines. In order to be baptized as an adventist one must agree whatever their founder ellen white says has the same power and authority of Holy Scripture. They also believe life begins when a person is born and draws breath. This means abortion is not a sin to them as babies in the womb are not alive, and adventist hospitals in California are murder mills for the unborn. They teach something called ‘present truth’ which is not The Gospel, but their version of The Gospel plus their version of the first ten of the 613 commandments from the old testament. They are taught it is heresy to question the writings of ellen white, that people who go to church on Sunday are heretics worshipping the sun, that only those going to church on Saturday can be saved and that they are the true remnant church while Protestants are a fallen church. Not every adventist holds to all these beliefs, but these beliefs are the mainline doctrine of their cult. They also believe Jesus is a lesser God Who God exalted rather than Jesus is The Mighty God Who humbled Himself. It is a very twisted cult and its adherents for the most part have no interest in The True Jesus. Finally, they do not believe in eternal damnation in the lake of fire. Those whose works aren’t good enough to qualify them for heaven will just cease to exist entirely.

After thinking about it I think you're right - being required to swear fealty to Ellen White's writings would be the worst of their doctrines because like you said every false doctrine held by the SDA's was validated by Ellen White. You're right.

Back