Best Bible Commentaries:

katt

Well, my son has devoured his new Amplified Bible, in other words he has realized he needs something that goes deeper, he has asked for a Bible with a really good commentary, he gave me a few recommendations and I thought I would run them past you to see what you think.

The only name he mentioned that I have heard of, and had no idea had a commentary out is Max Lacado..the others are...

Ray Comfort and John MacArthur..

But my son made a point of telling me exactly what he wanted, a Life Application Study Bible with a very involved (deep) commentary..

Does Anyone know if Hal Lindsey or Franklin Graham have one out?

I want to get him a good one, done by someone who is unshakeable in the faith..

I thank all of you for any help you can give me..

RonJohnSilver

Two online commentaries, which are free and solid, are EnduringWord.com by David Guzik and Thomas Constables's commentary at planobiblechapel.org/constable-notes. Both are chapter by chapter and cover the entire Bible. As I said, both are solid and free. Constable is a former professor at Dallas Theological Seminary.
As far as physical or purchased commentaries, my favorites for teaching are the Believers Bible Commentary (William MacDonald) and, depending on the book being studied, Arnold Fruchtenbaum's Footsteps of the Messiah (End Times Related), plus his commentary on Genesis. His ministry site is Ariel Ministries. I think I would avoid John MacArthur's for now. I like him but he is heavily Calvinistic so it takes a fair amount to discernment to see when he is accurate and when he is a bit off base. I don't agree with the Calvinistic viewpoint but I also don't think every Calvinist should be discarded. Ray Comfort is good although I don't have a commentary by him. Henry Morris is good also but again, I don't know if he has a commentary out. So, three to start, David Gusik (online and free), Thomas Constable (online and free) and Believers Bible Commentary (Amazon). Closely followed by Arnold Fruchtenbaum.

katt

Two online commentaries, which are free and solid, are EnduringWord.com by David Guzik and Thomas Constables's commentary at planobiblechapel.org/constable-notes. Both are chapter by chapter and cover the entire Bible. As I said, both are solid and free. Constable is a former professor at Dallas Theological Seminary.
As far as physical or purchased commentaries, my favorites for teaching are the Believers Bible Commentary (William MacDonald) and, depending on the book being studied, Arnold Fruchtenbaum's Footsteps of the Messiah (End Times Related), plus his commentary on Genesis. His ministry site is Ariel Ministries. I think I would avoid John MacArthur's for now. I like him but he is heavily Calvinistic so it takes a fair amount to discernment to see when he is accurate and when he is a bit off base. I don't agree with the Calvinistic viewpoint but I also don't think every Calvinist should be discarded. Ray Comfort is good although I don't have a commentary by him. Henry Morris is good also but again, I don't know if he has a commentary out. So, three to start, David Gusik (online and free), Thomas Constable (online and free) and Believers Bible Commentary (Amazon). Closely followed by Arnold Fruchtenbaum.
Thank you so much..I will let him know..

Jonathan

Well, my son has devoured his new Amplified Bible, in other words he has realized he needs something that goes deeper, he has asked for a Bible with a really good commentary, he gave me a few recommendations and I thought I would run them past you to see what you think.

The only name he mentioned that I have heard of, and had no idea had a commentary out is Max Lacado..the others are...

But my son made a point of telling me exactly what he wanted, a Life Application Study Bible with a very involved (deep) commentary..

First off, it is awesome to see that your son has a passion for God's word.

I'm still looking for a great, external commentary as well. The best I have found are by Arnold Fruchtenbaum but his commentaries are mostly concentrated on one book, and he has only applied himself to a few books of the Bible, so it is very incomplete. But, his commentary on Genesis is incredible to the point of almost being mandatory reading for the serious Christian.

In terms of non-literary commentaries, I highly recommend the late Chuck Missler's audio commentaries, but they are VERY time intensive. Each commentary lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, and usually, he will only cover a fraction of the Book of the Bible he is commenting on in each session. This basically means you will end up spending many hours getting through a single book of the Bible. Furthermore, because (and I am guessing here) he probably assumed most people listening to any one commentary might be their first, there is a LOT of repetition involving basic concepts. Still, if he or anyone else reading this has the time, go for it. You can find most of them for free on Firefighters For Christ at: http://server.firefighters.org/missler.asp.

Finally, while not exactly a commentary, ask him to consider a Scofield Notes version of whatever next Bible he purchases. I think the Scofield notes are the best I have come across.

In any case, again, it is awesome that your son has this passion. My God reward him richly for seeking HIM out.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member

I don't know anything about Lucado. But I'd stay away from MacArthur. You don't want your son influenced by his Calvinism. JMHO.

PhilR

Ryrie Study Bible and Life Application Study Bibles are good from what I have read. They are grace centered.
I use Scofield Study Bible and I think it's my favorite in its dispensational notes, although I don't agree with everything in the Scofield notes, like the "gap theory" notes.
I agree with Chris; I would stay away form the MacArthur Study Bible and his books, as well as Ray Comfort. They teach Lordship Salvation, perseverance, faith plus works to be saved which Paul warned against in Galatians.

Word of advise: study notes can be an aide in helping you understand.. Prayerfully, let the Holy Spirit lead you to right understanding of the Scriptures.

Last edited:

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Some good suggestions here! That Believer's Bible Commentary RonJohnSilver mentioned is a great first commentary, It's concise, solid and rich in biblical explanation.

If he can get his hands on Systemic Theology by Lewis Sperry Chafer he'll have a real treasure!

Or anything by him.

RonJohnSilver

Ryrie Study Bible and Life Application Study Bibles are good from what I have read. They are grace centered.
I use Scofield Study Bible and I think it's my favorite in its dispensational notes, although I don't agree with everything in the Scofield notes, like the "gap theory" notes.
I agree with Chris; I would stay away form the MacArthur Study Bible and his books, as well as Ray Comfort. They teach Lordship Salvation, perseverance, faith plus works to be saved which Paul warned against in Galatians.

Word of advise: study notes can be an aide in helping you understand.. Prayerfully, let the Holy Spirit lead you to right understanding of the Scriptures.
as well as Ray Comfort. They teach Lordship Salvation, perseverance, faith plus works to be saved which Paul warned against in Galatians.

I didn't know that about Ray Comfort. If that's so, then it would be best to remove him from consideration. Although not commentaries, Basic Theology by Charles Ryrie and Systematic Theology by Lewis Sperry Chafer are good for study.

PhilR

as well as Ray Comfort. They teach Lordship Salvation, perseverance, faith plus works to be saved which Paul warned against in Galatians.

I didn't know that about Ray Comfort. If that's so, then it would be best to remove him from consideration. Although not commentaries, Basic Theology by Charles Ryrie and Systematic Theology by Lewis Sperry Chafer are good for study.
A short booklet I highly recommend is called Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth, by C.I. Scofield. You can order it, or it may be available online to read. I first read this book in the 1990's and it helped me to rightly divide the word.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Does your son want hard copy or electronic? If electronic, any particular format?

By far the best Creationism/Creation Science commentary are the notes in the Henry Morris Study Bible.
Over 10,000 notes, and they're all through the Bible, not just Genesis. Interesting appendices, too. A lot of stuff that can help your son withstand evolution teaching and see what the Bible says. Basic through advanced Creation Science, so he won't outgrow this. Don't bother with the Kindle version because it's only Genesis and very difficult to use.

Moody Bible Institute has a one-volume Bible Commentary.

+1 on Chafer's Systematic Theology. Important: The 4-volume and 8-volume versions are the same. Each volume in the 4-volume set has 2 volumes in it. Be careful with used copies (get very good or better condition). Some are in very bad shape, including mold/mildew, and once you have a book with it on your bookshelf/touching other books/touches a surface where another book is later placed, the mold/mildew spreads.

Willmington's Guide to the Bible is good. The newer versions have a lot of Q & A format. The older ones, which I prefer, do not.

Clarence Larkin Greatest Book on Dispensationalism is good, although there are a few errors due to things learned after the book was written in the early part of the 20th Century. Really cool and informative drawings/charts. The charts are FREE on RF https://www.raptureforums.com/bible-prophecy-charts/

I downloaded e-Sword Bible study software (free) and several resources for it. There are a lot of free resources for e-Sword, but if you get too many just because free, it will get overwhelming. There are also some paid resources for it. Once you download a resource, it's yours to use (no rental or subscription fees). If you change computers, redownload the software and then redownload the resources via your account.

Got Questions (gotquestions.org) (free website) is good.

Institute for Christian Research (icr.org) has a lot of free resources online.

Ghoti Ichthus

Reference the errors in Clarence Larkin. It's in the age of the earth/creation. Larkin teaches a gap theory, which aligns with how Bible scholars were trying to reconcile the Bible with evolutionary theory in the 19th and early 20th Centuries, when he was writing. Institute for Creation Research has a lot of material showing 6 literal days of creation, with no gap, and why the 6 days (Young Earth) is the correct view.

The Sequence of Events in the Old Testament (Eliezer Shulman) is probably one of the most fascinating and useful Bible reference books available, but different from a commentary.

katt

Was about to order the Henry Morris Study Bible, but stopped myself because I wondered if there is one just as good in an easier to understand version than The King James?..I don't know if my son is ready for the King James yet...

Ghoti Ichthus

Was about to order the Henry Morris Study Bible, but stopped myself because I wondered if there is one just as good in an easier to understand version than The King James?..I don't know if my son is ready for the King James yet...

It only comes in King James, but your Son could read the Bible you already gave him and use the notes in the Henry Morris Study Bible as a separate commentary. Just be sure to explain/show him how. Also show him the appendices, etc. in the back.

Having the Henry Morris Study Bible may have the added benefit of piquing his curiosity about KJV later when he's ready :smile

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I don't know anything about Lucado. But I'd stay away from MacArthur. You don't want your son influenced by his Calvinism. JMHO.
Max Lucado is Church of Christ, or was, until their church re-named itself.
Totally agree with your comments about MacArthur. Ray Comfort is Calvinist also.

Ducati

What is a "commercial link" ?

All these references to Ministries and Ministers with published Commentaries and I post a link to one I recommend and it gets removed due to violating "forum rules" ? :smack

:noidea2

Ghoti Ichthus

What is a "commercial link" ?

All these references to Ministries and Ministers with published Commentaries and I post a link to one I recommend and it gets removed due to violating "forum rules" ? :smack

:noidea2

It's posting the link, itself, that's the issue, not the recommendation. Using my post #14 as an example, I recommended the Henry Morris Study Bible for the extensive creation notes, but did not link to the publisher's website or a third-party website where the Bible can be purchased. If someone wants to learn more about it or purchase it, it is up to that person to search for source(s) to do so.

katt

It's posting the link, itself, that's the issue, not the recommendation. Using my post #14 as an example, I recommended the Henry Morris Study Bible for the extensive creation notes, but did not link to the publisher's website or a third-party website where the Bible can be purchased. If someone wants to learn more about it or purchase it, it is up to that person to search for source(s) to do so.
I ordered that Bible for my son, he loves it..thank you for the suggestion, he told me he wanted college level, but wasn't expecting a PHD level..he was amazed...

GEOINTAnalyst

Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament Series
The Expositor's Bible Commentary
Tyndale Old/New Testament Commentaries
Zondervan Exegetical Commentary
The Zondervan Encyclopedia of The Bible

Back