Best Argument Against the Rapture

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthOnly

I'm familiar with disagreements amongst Christians about when the rapture takes place relative to other end times events. On this issue I believe the body of Christ doesn't experience God's wrath but I fully trust in Jesus and accept whatever plans he has for me.

I only recently found out that some Christians don't believe in the rapture at all. What is their strongest argument? Not being able to participate in a physical church, my only trusted influence is the Bible and the Holy Spirit so I never even saw a controversy about the rapture's existence. God's Word says the rapture will happen so I believe Him.

What is their strongest reason to doubt the rapture? Is disbelief in the rapture a sin? Belief in Jesus' gospel would cover that sin for those Christians.

RaptureReady

Dancing with my Father God in Fields of Grace
I'm familiar with disagreements amongst Christians about when the rapture takes place relative to other end times events. On this issue I believe the body of Christ doesn't experience God's wrath but I fully trust in Jesus and accept whatever plans he has for me.

I only recently found out that some Christians don't believe in the rapture at all. What is their strongest argument? Not being able to participate in a physical church, my only trusted influence is the Bible and the Holy Spirit so I never even saw a controversy about the rapture's existence. God's Word says the rapture will happen so I believe Him.

What is their strongest reason to doubt the rapture? Is disbelief in the rapture a sin? Belief in Jesus' gospel would cover that sin for those Christians.
One reason I think they doubt the rapture is attachment to the things of this world ~ the feeling that there is still so much to experience and enjoy in this life. They simply don't want to hear about it or think about it so they don't believe it will happen. JMHO

Andy C

The below is a link to the forums home page, and has a few hundred articles about the rapture. Im positive you will find what you are looking for by scrolling through the article titles.

https://www.raptureforums.com/category/rapture/

lismore

What is their strongest reason to doubt the rapture?
In my experience some churchgoers are into a belief called replacement theology. This means they believe the church has replaced Israel, therefore whenever a prophetic passage in the bible is dealing with Israel they try to insert the church into the passage instead of Israel, with bizarre results. God Bless :)

Endangered

One day Christ WILL come for his church. That will be the Rapture. And those left behind will begin to understand what God's Word is all about. Of those not taken, half will die during wars or natural disasters. The AC will be in charge and little good will be left in existence.
The stark difference beteen God and Satan will be on display for all the world to see.

TruthOnly

Thanks for all the excellent replies. If assumptions are made before reading the text as in the replacement theology example given above, or the text isn't taken literally, I see one could arrive at different conclusions while reading the same verses. Being too attached to the things of this world can certainly skew one's interpretation when reading the truth.

Some things are purposely left grey in the bible, I just never personally thought the rapture was one of them.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Some things are purposely left grey in the bible, I just never personally thought the rapture was one of them.

We're not in a postion to understand/know everything... God gives us what we need. Most of the Bible is pretty clear for the student reading/studying in the Spirit, but most can't just believe the Word as it is written and thus come up with their own unbiblical analysis of what is written.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
We're not in a postion to understand/know everything... God gives us what we need. Most of the Bible is pretty clear for the student reading/studying in the Spirit, but most can't just believe the Word as it is written and thus come up with their own unbiblical analysis of what is written.

That's very true indeed. For example, with the Creation account God tells a very basic yet extremely truthful account of how things came about for mankind.

It would be well above our and our ancestors knowledge 1,000's of years ago to have presented a great detailed account of the Creation. So, God tells us what we "need" to know not necessarily what we would "like" to know.

The same thing with the rapture. He tells us what we "need" to know (that it will happen before the Tribulation and when he pours out his wrath on unrepentant sinners and unbelieving Israel) and not necessarily what we would "like" to know (such as an exact date), etc.

It's that way with other things, too.

You would probably need a whole library of books on what happened during the first day of Creation if God tried to explain everything in a detailed way in today's modern scientific way. It just wasn't practical to do that. Also, telling us what we "need" to know as opposed to what we would "like" to know allows us to make a decision to believe God and learn to just trust in Him. I believe when we get to Heaven that we will be shown how everything happened in detail and unbelievers will be without excuse.

Many will probably say something like "But, but, Lord we didn't think that could happen or we thought this or that" and sadly they will be told "I'm sorry, but you thought wrong." but you chose to believe a lie than to delight in the truth of God. :sad

Dragontiger777

Mark 11:22-24

22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly[f] I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them...

Have your faith in God?? NO need doubts as Jesus (2000 years) as He is asking us to faith without doubts.

Thanks Brother/sister

DWB

Not believing that the Apostle Paul's writings were the inspired word of God is why many know nothing of the Rapture. The main denominations I have been involved with never mentioned the Rapture. It wasn't until after much reading and self-study I was shown the truth by The Holy Spirit. Many congregations never hear anything but the four Gospels and Genesis while ignoring what we are supposed to live by today. Catholics, Episcopal Churches, Church of Christ, and Methodist groups very seldom hear or study Paul, thus missing the Rapture. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't been to many others.

I also think the mentioned groups still feel we are under some form of the Mosaic Law.

KenE@21B

Thank you for your thought-provoking question. It is one (of many) which all believers should be able to answer for those who ask, because it is just so important!

1 Thess 4 16-18:
For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

If (as some pastors preach) the Church has to go through some or all of the tribulation, whatever words would we have to comfort one another?

Just as God (always) provided an escape for His people throughout the Old Testament, Jesus Christ, through His finished work on the cross, provides the (only) way to avoid God's (and satan's) coming wrath.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...

Jude 17-19 New King James Version

17 But you, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: 18 how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. 19 These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit.

2 Peter 3:2-4 New King James Version

2 that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior, 3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.”

Scripture says many will not believe.

Some are impatient.

Some are faithless.

Some are just ignorant of Scripture.

I think Jude is pointing to the root reason: God is not doing things the way people think He should.

It's less about being impatient or that God isn't listening/watching, but more based in the pride of mankind which wants to tell God what to do.

And if God won't listen - because the world is smarter than God - then why worry about it. God failed and its not happening.

And some people talk of the church being spared the Tribulation. Certainly the Church is no longer under God's holy condemnation.

But how bad can it get before then? Think of Rome. Think of Paul. Read Foxes Book of Martyrs. Think of muslim societies.

It can get pretty bad.

But that is only a demonstration of the depravity of man. And there is a huge difference.

Man's evil evidences the fruit of sin. It is what brings God's judgement.

The Tribulation is God's response to man. Just, Holy, and far beyond what men can do.

Praise the Lord for His mercy to those who faithe in Christ.
He is our Righteousness and Salvation and by His sacrifice has delivered us from the wrath to come.

Last edited:

Other Christians don’t deny the rapture. Every Christian believes in the rapture the debate is when it takes place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back