Bennett: It's Judea and Samaria, not the West Bank

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Bennett: It's Judea and Samaria, not the West Bank
When he was in the premiership, former prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu also used the phrase West Bank.
By TOVAH LAZAROFF
Published: APRIL 12, 2022

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett pushed back on Monday night against those who claimed his English use of the phrase “West Bank” is part of a larger ideological shift from the Right to the Left. “The correct phrase is definitively Judea and Samaria,” he told Channel 13, in one of a series of interviews Bennett has given to defend his record and that of his government, amid speculation that the country might be heading to a new election.

Bennett’s decision to use the phrase “West Bank” during a joint news conference with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken in Jerusalem has been harshly criticized by the Right, including the Likud, though party leader Benjamin Netanyahu also used the phrase West Bank when he was prime minister. “This is not the first time that I have spoken of the West Bank with foreigners,” Bennett told Channel 13, adding that he had “spoken in English and not in Hebrew.” There is a “double standard,” Bennett said.

JamesSuth

Sounds positive that he clarified that it is Judea and Samaria and not the West Bank. It sounds like that is a statement on where he stands on the issue. When speaking in English to an international audience, maybe he uses the term West Bank to avoid confusion? Hopefully the criticism of his use of the term will remind him of sensitives if there was anything untoward in his motives.

When I think of the whole Israel situation I have to marvel at how God has preserved the modern state of Israel. There are so many foes, but they have not overcame Israel. There are activists who have given their entire lives to railing against Israel and what have they achieved? I would say nothing other than hate for Israel, which stands firm. And we know from Bible prophecy that they will not be successful because in the end Jesus will return and make Jerusalem capital city of His capital country of Israel from where He will rule the entire earth. I love Britain, my home, but I think we have always had this thing wrong - this is not the United Kingdom; I feel that name sure be reserved for the United Kingdom of Nations that will be the seat of power in His Kingdom that is to come.

daygo

Sounds positive that he clarified that it is Judea and Samaria and not the West Bank. It sounds like that is a statement on where he stands on the issue. When speaking in English to an international audience, maybe he uses the term West Bank to avoid confusion? Hopefully the criticism of his use of the term will remind him of sensitives if there was anything untoward in his motives.

When I think of the whole Israel situation I have to marvel at how God has preserved the modern state of Israel. There are so many foes, but they have not overcame Israel. There are activists who have given their entire lives to railing against Israel and what have they achieved? I would say nothing other than hate for Israel, which stands firm. And we know from Bible prophecy that they will not be successful because in the end Jesus will return and make Jerusalem capital city of His capital country of Israel from where He will rule the entire earth. I love Britain, my home, but I think we have always had this thing wrong - this is not the United Kingdom; I feel that name sure be reserved for the United Kingdom of Nations that will be the seat of power in His Kingdom that is to come.
Good summing up.