Bema Seat Question

RandallB

..... But it almost feels works based. If we are free from sin and free from the law, and we know its not works based---then what ARE we being rewarded for. I think its our FAITH??

Here is stuff from my Bema Seat notes.

The Gift and The Rewards are different.
Eternal Life = Gift -- Can't earn
Bema Rewards = Prize -- Strive to earn - run the race.

Bema Seat Rewards

(1) The Promise of Crowns. This seems to be used as a symbol of victory, authority, and responsibility.

(2) The Promise of Heavenly Treasure (Matt. 6:20; 1 Pet. 1:4). Stresses their eternal value and security.

(3) The Promise of Accolades or Commendations. This is seen in those passages where a reward is administered in the form of something like “well done thou good and faithful servant …” (cf. Matt. 25:21; Lk. 19:17; 1 Cor. 4:5b).

(4) The Promises to Overcomers. These could refer to special blessing of rewards to those believers who overcomer special trials and tests rather than a general promise to all believers. See Rev. 2:7; 2:11, 17, 26.

(5) The Promise of Special Responsibilities and Authority of the Lord’s Possessions (cf. Matt. 19:28; 24:45-47; 25:21, 23; Lk. 19:17-19; 22:29-30; Rev. 2:26).

The Crowns
All six crowns of the New Testament are reserved for those who earn them. They are:
1. Righteousness -The crown for those who love Christ's appearing - 2 Timothy 4:8
2. Life - Reward for faithfulness, even unto death -James 1:12 - Revelation 2:10
3. Victor's - Incorruptible crown -living set apart for the Lord and from the world - 1 Corinthians 9:25
4. Rejoicing - Reward for bringing others to Christ- 1 Thessalonians 2:20 Philippians 4:1
5. Glory - Reward for leading and ministering to other believers - 1 Peter 5:2-4

The Crown of Righteousness – Reward for loving and anticipating the return of Jesus
2 Timothy 4:8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

The Crown of Life – Reward for faithfulness, even unto death
James 1:12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

Revelation 2:10 Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

The Incorruptible Crown or Victor's Crown – Reward for living set apart for the Lord and from the world
1 Corinthians 9:24-25 … Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.

The Crown of Rejoicing – Reward for bringing others to Christ
1 Thessalonians 2:17-20 But we, brethren, having been taken away from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavored more eagerly to see your face with great desire. Therefore we wanted to come to you—even I, Paul, time and again—but Satan hindered us. For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? For you are our glory and joy.

Philippians 4:1 Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved.

The Crown of Glory – Reward for leading and ministering to other believers
1 Peter 5:2-4 Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

1 Corinthians 3:12-15 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

1 Corinthians 9:27 “No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize”.

“Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully” (2 John 1:8). “I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown”. (Revelation 3:11)

Dr. H.L. Wilmington has done a good job of gleaning the truth about the things upon which Christians will be examined at the Judgment Seat of Christ. They are as follows:

How we treat other believers:
Hebrews 6:10, Matthew 10:41-42

How we exercise our authority over others:
Hebrews 13:17, James 3:1

How we employ our God-given abilities:
1 Corinthians 12:4, 12:12, 12:2, 2 Timothy 1:6, 1 Peter 4:10
Add to these Scriptures Jesus' teaching of the parables of the ten pounds (Luke 19: 11-26) and the talents (Matthew 25:14-29). Each believer has at least one talent (1 Corinthians 7:12, Ephesians 4:7, 1 Peter 4:10). There are 18 of these gifts (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4). It's up to each believer to find/discern his or her gifts.

How we use our money:
2 Corinthians 9:6-7, 1 Timothy 6:17-19

How we spend our time:
Psalm 90:12, Ephesians 5:16, Colossians 4:5, 1 Peter 1:17

How much we suffer for Jesus:
Matthew 5:11-12, Mark 10:29-30, Romans 8:18, 2 Corinthians 4:17, 1 Peter 4:12-13

How we run the particular race God has chosen for us:
1 Corinthians 9:24, Philippians 2:16, 3:13-14, Hebrews 12:1

How effectively we control the old nature:
1 Corinthians 9:25-27, 2 Timothy 2:15, 1 Corinthians 16:3, Philippians 1:10, 1 Thessalonians 2:4

How many souls we witness to and win to Christ:
Proverbs 11:30, Daniel 12:3, 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20

How we react to temptation:
James 1:2-3, Revelation 3:10

How much the doctrine of the rapture means to us:
2 Timothy 4:8

How faithful we are to the Word of God and the flock of God:
Acts 20:26-28, 2 Timothy 4:1-2, 1 Peter 5:2-4

Last edited:

Andy C

Here is stuff from my Bema Seat notes.

Bema Seat Rewards

(1) The Promise of Crowns. This seems to be used as a symbol of victory, authority, and responsibility.

(2) The Promise of Heavenly Treasure (Matt. 6:20; 1 Pet. 1:4). Stresses their eternal value and security.

(3) The Promise of Accolades or Commendations. This is seen in those passages where a reward is administered in the form of something like “well done thou good and faithful servant …” (cf. Matt. 25:21; Lk. 19:17; 1 Cor. 4:5b).

(4) The Promises to Overcomers. These could refer to special blessing of rewards to those believers who overcomer special trials and tests rather than a general promise to all believers. See Rev. 2:7; 2:11, 17, 26.

(5) The Promise of Special Responsibilities and Authority of the Lord’s Possessions (cf. Matt. 19:28; 24:45-47; 25:21, 23; Lk. 19:17-19; 22:29-30; Rev. 2:26).

The Crowns
All six crowns of the New Testament are reserved for those who earn them. They are:
1. Righteousness -The crown for those who love Christ's appearing - 2 Timothy 4:8
2. Life - Reward for faithfulness, even unto death -James 1:12 - Revelation 2:10
3. Victor's - Incorruptible crown -living set apart for the Lord and from the world - 1 Corinthians 9:25
4. Rejoicing - Reward for bringing others to Christ- 1 Thessalonians 2:20 Philippians 4:1
5. Glory - Reward for leading and ministering to other believers - 1 Peter 5:2-4

The Crown of Righteousness – Reward for loving and anticipating the return of Jesus
2 Timothy 4:8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

The Crown of Life – Reward for faithfulness, even unto death
James 1:12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

Revelation 2:10 Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

The Incorruptible Crown or Victor's Crown – Reward for living set apart for the Lord and from the world
1 Corinthians 9:24-25 … Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.

The Crown of Rejoicing – Reward for bringing others to Christ
1 Thessalonians 2:17-20 But we, brethren, having been taken away from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavored more eagerly to see your face with great desire. Therefore we wanted to come to you—even I, Paul, time and again—but Satan hindered us. For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? For you are our glory and joy.

Philippians 4:1 Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved.

The Crown of Glory – Reward for leading and ministering to other believers
1 Peter 5:2-4 Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

1 Corinthians 3:12-15 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

1 Corinthians 9:27 “No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize”.

“Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully” (2 John 1:8). “I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown”. (Revelation 3:11)

Dr. H.L. Wilmington has done a good job of gleaning the truth about the things upon which Christians will be examined at the Judgment Seat of Christ. They are as follows:

How we treat other believers:
Hebrews 6:10, Matthew 10:41-42

How we exercise our authority over others:
Hebrews 13:17, James 3:1

How we employ our God-given abilities:
1 Corinthians 12:4, 12:12, 12:2, 2 Timothy 1:6, 1 Peter 4:10
Add to these Scriptures Jesus' teaching of the parables of the ten pounds (Luke 19: 11-26) and the talents (Matthew 25:14-29). Each believer has at least one talent (1 Corinthians 7:12, Ephesians 4:7, 1 Peter 4:10). There are 18 of these gifts (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4). It's up to each believer to find/discern his or her gifts.

How we use our money:
2 Corinthians 9:6-7, 1 Timothy 6:17-19

How we spend our time:
Psalm 90:12, Ephesians 5:16, Colossians 4:5, 1 Peter 1:17

How much we suffer for Jesus:
Matthew 5:11-12, Mark 10:29-30, Romans 8:18, 2 Corinthians 4:17, 1 Peter 4:12-13

How we run the particular race God has chosen for us:
1 Corinthians 9:24, Philippians 2:16, 3:13-14, Hebrews 12:1

How effectively we control the old nature:
1 Corinthians 9:25-27, 2 Timothy 2:15, 1 Corinthians 16:3, Philippians 1:10, 1 Thessalonians 2:4

How many souls we witness to and win to Christ:
Proverbs 11:30, Daniel 12:3, 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20

How we react to temptation:
James 1:2-3, Revelation 3:10

How much the doctrine of the rapture means to us:
2 Timothy 4:8

How faithful we are to the Word of God and the flock of God:
Acts 20:26-28, 2 Timothy 4:1-2, 1 Peter 5:2-4
Thanks for putting all this info on one post. Excellent.

You have no idea how discouraging this thread is to me. It took me 40 years to fully apprehend grace and now you are telling me it isn't enough?? It just doesn't compute with the Jesus I know. I am so sad! Where is the Blessed Hope and the Joy and the Peace that Passes all Understanding?

Ugh!! Back to the books....

DanLMP

You have no idea how discouraging this thread is to me. It took me 40 years to fully apprehend grace and now you are telling me it isn't enough?? It just doesn't compute with the Jesus I know. I am so sad! Where is the Blessed Hope and the Joy and the Peace that Passes all Understanding?

It's probably a very fine line in understanding between the result of Grace and the result of living in gratitude for that Grace.
This is what James in his book is essentially admonishing believers to do. And it has also caused confusion in understanding James' book.
Salvation is a gift. Given by our Father freely through the sacrifice of Jesus, if we accept it.
The next step is to live in gratitude for that gift. If we go on living as usual after accepting that Gift it is essentially spitting in Jesus' eye and devaluing the sacrifice He made for us.
He hung on a cross and took the sins of BILLIONS of people with Him. That is not a sacrifice that should be taken lightly.

The receiving of "rewards" that is described is a little more simple to understand when you realize that a large part of that is to "live in gratitude" for His sacrifice.
Our Father does not call all of us to be the same exact Christian. All have a different calling. Some callings are lofty, some are modest.

If you ask Him what it is He would like you to do He will tell you.

It is really not as difficult as it sounds.

Andy C

Why would you feel discouraged? You are saved, so you do have the blessed Hope of His second coming, and the church going Home. Rewards has nothing to do with Grace.

Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Galatians 3:3

I just feel that we are NOTHING without Jesus. It isn't what we can do for Him, it is what has already been done for us. It is Christ IN me which is my hope of glory. I feel like a "foolish galation" if I think there is anything I can do on my own. It feels very self-righteous which we all agree is filthy rags to our Lord.

And I am not at all referring to my salvation which we know is set. That's not even on the table. But I don't want to be a palm waiver for all eternity. Which will be pretty awesome and perfect, I am sure. But I wanna be WITH Jesus in the throne room!! What about being blessed with all spiritual blessings in the heavens and the earth? What about being made righteous and clean by accepting His grace. And what about the fact that "He will prefect that which concerns me?" Psalms 138:8 How does it make sense that God is offering us these things, but then making us earn them? I really don't get it!

Jesus is the Author and Finisher of our faith, and He does not fail!

I agree!! Except what I am reading here is that HE is the author and finisher as long as I do my part. Can you understand my consternation?

LibertyBelle

Cracked.
I was wondering if we meet privately with Jesus at the Bema Seat. I don't know that I want everyone to see how many mistakes I made and how much gets burned up. Is everyone going to be a witness to that?
I have been having a lot of anxiety about what is going to happen.

I struggle with this a great deal. In my mind, it's the Worst Being-Called-To-The-Principal's-Office-EVER. (and I was there a lot. like, a lot a lot.)

I saw a tract when I was a kid (several of them) that really helped solidify fears & anxieties about these things. It was called "This was Your Life!" or something like that, and the dude (unsaved) has his whole life shown on a movie screen in front of everyone.

I think almost everyone has stuff they would be mortified for anyone to know about, sin-wise, but I think the Bema thing is for rewards - you get them for your motive for your works, or something like that. I'm sure other people explained it way better than I ever could.

Just wanted to say - you aren't alone in worrying about it. Try not to. It is what it is. Worrying about it ain't gonna change it.

Andy C

Below is a question and answer from the late Jack Kelley. It really pains me to say "the late Jack Kelley". Even though I never met him, I feel like I lost a very close brother.

His answer below is very interesting.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/a-question-on-rewards/

cid:E2484B50-75D5-428C-9E7F-752EB95F8313@mobilenotes.apple.com

A Question On Rewards
Friday, July 7th, 2006

Q. I was having a think recently about the fact that by doing good things here on Earth, we build up rewards for ourselves in heaven. Then I thought about what you said regarding our inability to recall our time on Earth while in Eternity. If this is so, wouldn’t the people who suddenly appear in Eternity look around and realize that some have more rewards than others? Then isn’t it natural to question why? And not remembering their Earth lives, they won’t be able to answer the question. What happens then? Do they just disregard it or will God give an answer? I’m pretty sure we won’t be fat, dumb and happy in Eternity so we would need an answer somehow. Which brings us back to not remembering Earth. So how would this be answered?

A. First we must realize that all believers arrive at the Bema Seat judgment of 1 Cor. 3:10-15 at the same time. It takes place just after the Rapture of the Church. Second, Isaiah 65:17, the verse where we’re told that the former things won’t be remembered, is in the context of the new heavens and new earth, something that happens at the beginning of the Millennium.

So here’s the way I see it. When we all arrive at the Bema Seat, as each one of us comes before the Lord the good works of our life flash through our memories. As they do, the Lord reveals what our motives were in performing these works and we’ll understand immediately if they qualify for rewards or not. (1 Cor. 4:5)

Then we’ll take our place in the New Jerusalem with complete awareness and acceptance of our position relative to all the others. As I Cor. 13:12 tells us, we’ll know as we’re known. That means our perception of ourselves will be consistent the Lord’s perception of us.

When the Great Tribulation is completed, as the kingdom is established and everyone’s fate is sealed, any memory of our former lives that would detract from our ability to achieve and maintain an uninterrupted state of pure joy will then be erased and we’ll have no further concerns about the past.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
We have had this discussion in another thread and I am putting Adrian's (mattfivefour's) response from that thread below for your perusal Philadelphia. It might be good, when you are rested, to revisit the issue by reading the other thread. The Holy Spirit will give you understanding, in the final analysis. As Andrew said above, we have nothing to fear. Be of good courage!

http://www.raptureforums.com/forums...judgement-and-judgement-seat-of-christ.66921/

The "Bema" judgment of Christ is for all who are His. In other words, only those who are saved will appear there. The rewards are for what we build on the foundation of Christ. Remewmber, we are saved to serve, not jusst sit around and wait for blessings. The entire issue is dealt with in 1 Corinthians 3:10-15.

"10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14 If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire."

Upon the foundation of Christ we can build gold (righteousness toward God), and/or silver (redemption toward the lost), and/or precious stones (service to the saints). These all will survive the fiire of judgment. They speak incorruptible things. But wood, hay and stubble (which all speak corruptible things) will be devoured by the flames. Nevertheless, as verse 15 states, the individuals whose work is destroyed will not themselves be destroyed ... because, of course, our salvation rests on what Christ did, not on what we do.

The thing to note about this is that works that are done out of a pure heart and poure motive for Christ are rewarded; but sometimes what men do for Christ is actually done for their own pleasure or their own ego and this will clearly NOT be rewarded. The individuals will be saved, but none of their works will survive the judgment and thus they will not receive the full weight of glory that others will who were faithful and did things for proper motives, even if that was not recognized on this earth. that is why Jesus said,""And behold, some are last who will be first and some are first who will be last." (Luke 13:30) What we view as being good work in others may not be. We cannot see the heart; but God does, and He alone can judge it.The Great White Throne judgement is only for those who have never accepted Christ. We read about it in Revelation 20:5, 7-15.

" 7 When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison, 8 and will come out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war; the number of them is like the sand of the seashore. 9 And they came up on the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, and fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. 11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."

The things to note about this are 1) that this takes place at the end of Christ's Thousand Year Reign (The Millennial Reign, sometimes abbreviated to MK because many people cannot spell millennial :lol:); 2) that the righteous souls were already either raptured prior to the Great Tribulation, taken to heaven during the first half of the Great Trib (Revelation 6:9), or resurrected at the end of it (Revelation 20:4,6).

Does that help, Kristine?

Hol

Worships Him

For my own peculiarly different working out my salvation (grace alone in Christ alone) I have come to discern that once I confidently resign my own efforts (sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it!), and rest in His work; it frees me up for sanctification, or works of faith. These 'works of faith' are more of the surrender that brought me to faith to begin with. I still have nothing but my thanksgiving to offer, because any lasting work is going to be out of perfect love. Well, guess who doesn't have a thimble full of perfect love to toss as water on a house fire, me.

The Holy Spirit, so full of life & love, performs the wonder of perfect love when I step aside. I did not produce the Fruit of the Spirit ever, at all. He IS that unperishable, undoubting trust in Christ, and with His help I learn to trust / yield, and so He bears fruit worthy of eternal reward.

I think we need to fellowship with folks who simply reverence Christ, learn our faith according to the Bible, trust His grace, and pray for the Holy Spirit's filling in all wisdom.

Christ is the vine, and apart from Him we have zero fruit, zero reward.

You sound like your growth in faith is lots like mine :hug

And no offense Libertybell, but the track series 'Chic,' tends to be works based / Calvanistic.

Last edited:

RandallB

Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Galatians 3:3

I just feel that we are NOTHING without Jesus. It isn't what we can do for Him, it is what has already been done for us. It is Christ IN me which is my hope of glory. I feel like a "foolish galation" if I think there is anything I can do on my own. It feels very self-righteous which we all agree is filthy rags to our Lord.

And I am not at all referring to my salvation which we know is set. That's not even on the table. But I don't want to be a palm waiver for all eternity. Which will be pretty awesome and perfect, I am sure. But I wanna be WITH Jesus in the throne room!! What about being blessed with all spiritual blessings in the heavens and the earth? What about being made righteous and clean by accepting His grace. And what about the fact that "He will prefect that which concerns me?" Psalms 138:8 How does it make sense that God is offering us these things, but then making us earn them? I really don't get it!

I agree!! Except what I am reading here is that HE is the author and finisher as long as I do my part. Can you understand my consternation?

Sorry to be the bearer of this news :hug

As others have put it so well above - Salvation (Justification) is of Free Grace - A Gift of God via Christ's expense thru our Faith alone.

However -- Discipleship after Salvation is an entirely different story. The Lord Himself warned those who are already saved to count the cost of Discipleship.

He is the author and finisher and the only part we have in Salvation is the Faith part and that is also a gift.

The Holy Spirit is also responsible to Finish the work that has been begun in us.

He does ask us, however, to cooperate with Him in this Sanctification Process.

Justification (past tense of Salvation in a Believer's life) is concerned about "Eternal Life after Death".

Sanctification (present tense of Salvation in a Believer's life) is concerned about "Life after Re-Birth".

As for being a Palm Waiver, the Lord Himself stated that the Least Member in the Church will have a greater position in the MK & Eternity than anybody else ever born.

Last edited:

Andrew

Well known member
What is Sanctification?

Sanctification means to be set apart. In scripture it is always for God and for His own purposes. The Greek and Hebrew root words are translated in English both as “holy” and as “set apart”.

Who are the sanctified?

God views every believer in Jesus as being set apart from the moment of his or her conversion.

Why do we need to be sanctified?

The purpose of sanctification is to make us suitable for the presence and service of God. Scripture assures us that it rests on the finished work of Christ: “We are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” (Hebrews 10:10). It is His own work: “For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.” (Hebrews 2:11-12).

But Scripture also tells us we need to be holy practically in order to be suitable to serve God here. “Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1). So while we are regarded by God as sanctified from the day of our conversion, we do need to be holy in our lives here.

Here is an example (from J N Darby, Collected Writings, Vol. 16, p. 191)

“But here is what God has done: He has separated us to Himself, as a man hews stones out of a quarry. The stone is hewn out of the quarry and set apart, destined to be placed in the appointed building. And God detaches a soul from the quarry of this world to separate it for Himself.

There is much to do, for a rough stone cut out of the quarry often requires considerable labour before it is placed in the building for which it is destined. Even so God separates, prepares, and fashions this soul to introduce it into His spiritual building. There are many useless matters to take off, but God acts every day in His grace. Nevertheless, this soul is sanctified, set apart for God, from the moment it is taken out of the quarry of this world.”How are we to be sanctified here?"

The Lord’s prayer in John 17:16-17 is for His disciples (and for us), and there He prays “They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: they word is truth.” This is the practical effect on the believer of the word of God, producing practical holiness.

What is the result?

The result is a sanctified company of believers, with Christ in the centre, leading praise to His God and Father. We enjoy our part in this company as we are sanctified practically by the truth.

[Reproduced with permission]

RonJohnSilver

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's always good to get perspectives from believers who are at different stages in our ongoing growth. Here are a couple of items from my lesson that might be of interest. By the way, a lot useful information in the books, Our Eternal Rewards by Erwin Lutzer and Things to Come by J. Dwight Pentecost. Anyway, a couple more thoughts.
Besides the crowns and what they represent, what kind of daily things can we do that glorify God? Here, in no particular order, are some things we can do daily.
1. Financial Generosity.
2. Faithfulness in our vocations.
3. Hospitality.
4. Joyful acceptance of suffering/persecution.
5. Loving the unloveable, especially our enemies.
6. Spiritual disciplines (prayer, Bible study, giving, attending, etc.)
7. Doctrinal Integrity (more than just reading, it's knowing/understanding truth and error)
8. Investing in People
9. Looking for Jesus' return.
10. Pure motives

And then I like this quote from Jonathan Edwards, a preacher in the 1700s.
“Resolved: to endeavor to obtain for myself as much happiness in the other world that I can, with all the power,
might, vigor and vehemence I am capable of, or can bring myself to exert, in any way that can be thought of.”

A lot more to share but that would involve posting my entire lesson. Thanks again. RJS

Back