Because She Was a Girl

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Because She Was a Girl
By Hannah Harrison

I spend a lot of time combing through stories and headlines filled with harsh and saddening news in my profession. But every so often, a headline or two, in particular, catches my eye, and I wrestle with its darkness all day long. Recently, a Christian Post (CP) article titled: “Indian woman beaten for giving birth to girl as ‘son preference’ leads to 60% drop in female births.”

Those words left me pondering one question…what is a girl worth?

That conglomeration of a headline left me heartbroken for the women and girls of India. In this article, the woman was disowned and attacked by her husband and in-laws after giving birth to a daughter.

Wait, what? Because she was a woman who had a daughter…she was attacked? Certainty not!

Unfortunately, in India and other eastern parts of the world, women have never been viewed as equal, and having daughters rather than sons is considered a curse. In recent years, sex-selective abortions have raged as Indian women choose abortion over having their daughters subjected to such torment and danger. Due to this, in recent decades, there has been a 60% increase in “vanishing girls.”

Again, what is a girl worth?

When I was in high school, I read about a missionary couple serving in an eastern country. One day, they were in town and met a couple with several boys and a little girl. After spending more time with them, they realized that the young girl was very sickly and needed medical attention. After urging the parents and seeing no drive to care for the child, the missionary couple took the child until she was nursed back to health.

But shortly after, they noticed the child was evener sicker, and malnourished. Now, loving the child as their own, the couple took and cared for her until she was well. Months passed again before they saw the family, and when they did, they noticed the daughter was no longer with them. Heartbroken, they asked what had happened. The family, without remorse, explained that the daughter had passed away, more than likely from malnourishment. Unable to speak and grasp what this family had done, the missionaries asked why they hadn’t cared for the girl as they did the boys in the family.

“If we were in your country, we would have just killed her before she left the womb. How is this any different?” was their response.

While abortion is more rampant globally than it was during my high school days, that story always gave me chills. It was that story that made abortion real. It’s murder, no matter how you slice or dice it.

In America, we look at those parents and think, “You murdered your daughter? Starving her to death? How cruel!” In India, just because she was born a girl, she was considered worthless.

But again, in America, we see nothing wrong with abortion on demand. So, what is a girl worth In America or India? At a minimum, she’s worth a chance, but to the Maker of the universe, she is worth dying for.

We have deteriorated into a world that doesn’t see the value of life. And oh, how sickening is the thought of the world losing ten little toes, tiny ears, a drooling mouth, or a soul that could someday change the world…just because she’s a girl.

“For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them” – (Psalm 139:13-16).

https://www.raptureforums.com/politics-culture-wars/because-she-was-a-girl/

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
It is very sad. Hasn't this been the way of some Oriental countries for long long ages? Girl children (or any unwanted child, esp those with birth defects) were exposed to the elements and left to die??

I love Chinese fiction, often told from a woman's point of view. In years past, females have had a rough life in these countries. So did the very poor men, but not as bad as the women.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Where is love and mutual between a husband and wife? Where is love for one's children. I think the condition of the parent(s) is worse than that of the victims. This is the world we live in. How much worse will it get? It will get worse even though it seems insane that it will. It is insane.

kathymendel

How all of this must break our Father's heart. Even in our own country........"the land of the free and home of the brave" (HA!) we abort children
without a second thought. We raise our boys and girls to not recognize how to embrace who they are, and they were created uniquely by God and
so loved by Him. We, the parents, are either fully involved in, or passively allowing our children to be indoctrinated into the evils of this world......... on tv - in the movies - in our schools - in our libraries - it is everywhere. I pity these parents when they someday stand before the great Judge - our Lord - and he
rebukes them for their sins. My heart breaks for their children now, that they are being so deceived by those who should be loving and valuing them.
It IS insane and it WILL get worse...........my prayer is we, and the children, will be removed from this horrible planet very, very soon.

Wings Like Eagles

We speak of it as "insane" but, a few generations ago, it would just have been regarded as evil. And evil often begets unforeseen consequences. The evil of selective abortion under China's one-child policy (which the super-wealthy globalists, like David Rockefeller, praised to the skies) has led to such an unforeseen consequence. There is now an entire generation of young Chinese men who so out-number Chinese women, that they have been forced to "import" women from other Asian countries like Vietnam and North Korea--without which they would have no hope of marrying. Then the " central planners" of the CCP, decided that this state of affairs might lead to unrest and changed the "one-child" policy to a "two-child" policy a few years back. But, another unforeseen consequence cropped up, making things even worse. Many Chinese couples opted to have TWO sons instead of a son and a daughter. The CCP has now said that a Chinese couple may have three children. But, too late, they have discovered that many young Chinese couples prefer to remain childless now.

Where are the feminists who should be speaking out about what amounts to femicide? Genocide comes in many forms but the devaluing of human life leads to all of them.

Eastxn

I would give almost anything to have a family of my own. But I was young and dumb and cared more for other less important things in years past. It was my own fault and I now have to live with that for the rest of my natural life. And it both saddens and burns me to see other people demonize and treat with contempt a blessing that I will never have.....a family of one's own.

cheeky200386

I would give almost anything to have a family of my own. But I was young and dumb and cared more for other less important things in years past. It was my own fault and I now have to live with that for the rest of my natural life. And it both saddens and burns me to see other people demonize and treat with contempt a blessing that I will never have.....a family of one's own.
It is sad when we realize how our priorities were all wrong for so many years. My husband and I aborted our first child because we were "too young" in our early 20's. We just gave birth to our son and we're in our mid to late 30's. We regret not keeping our first baby and focus on building a family while we were still young. We may not be able to have more children because of how long we waited. Like you, we'll have to live with that poor decision forever.

I hope I'll get to meet my baby in heaven because once I got saved, I realized the gravity of my sin.I hate how Satan has deceived the World into thinking lies about children and what we should prioritize over them. Children are such a blessing and gift from God. God bless you and I know God will use you to warn others of sin we made out of deception and ignorance.

cheeky200386

I'm surprised India didn't learn from China's failed one child policy and how terrible that turned out for the Chinese men. I had read a news article years back that the Chinese men were kidnapping foreign women or even other men's wives out of desperation.

CodyRhodesDiva

My mom got pregnant with me when she was 20 ( I will be 48 this Wednesday) and no way was she gonna go with an abortion. I am very grateful and blessed to be alive at this point.