Basic military training will be offered to all Polish citizens

GEOINTAnalyst

Warsaw — The Polish army is to offer a basic one-day training course to all citizens aged between 18 and 65, the Defence Ministry announced in Warsaw on Monday.

The course is to include weapons handling, shooting, close combat and map reading and will be held at 17 army bases on Saturdays in October and November, it said. Only Polish citizens will be eligible.

The war in Ukraine has lent increased urgency to longstanding plans to increase the size of the Polish military.

Voluntary military service has recently been introduced and employees of the postal service have been urged to to undergo weapons training with the country’s Territorial Defence Force (WOT).

https://warisboring.com/basic-military-training-will-be-offered-to-all-polish-citizens/

Wally

Choose your words carefully...
Over here, we just play Call of Duty and read non-fiction Tom Clancy.

And include a trip to the local range.

With so many AR's in the public's possession, its amazing how few know how to use one, let alone safely unload it.

MapleLeaf

I think I would prefer a handgun because rifles feel so unwieldy but Canada would have to vote in a new government to overturn the handgun ban. Though I am displaying my ignorance here because they could be harder to handle for all I know.

I do hate the "sitting duck" feeling I have with no means of self-defence. We're not really allowed to do self-defence here but in a system-failure I'm not sure that would matter anymore.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I think I would prefer a handgun because rifles feel so unwieldy but Canada would have to vote in a new government to overturn the handgun ban. Though I am displaying my ignorance here because they could be harder to handle for all I know.

I do hate the "sitting duck" feeling I have with no means of self-defence. We're not really allowed to do self-defence here but in a system-failure I'm not sure that would matter anymore.

The longer the barrel the easier it will be to aim in the general direction of your target and actually hit it. If a person has less skill/experience, a rifle is probably better though a handgun is easier to maneuver in/around a building.

Wally

Handguns are not for most. Practice and training are very important.

Most do well with a shotgun. .410 [lighter kick] or 20 gauge pump with a slug barrel. Pretty much aim and shoot. Still you need to know how to operate and properly use one.
But it is much easier than a pistol. Accordingly it is not a conceal weapon and those who wish to go that route need to know the local laws on top of just using the pistol competently.

Wally

The longer the barrel the easier it will be to aim in the general direction of your target and actually hit it. If a person has less skill/experience, a rifle is probably better though a handgun is easier to maneuver in/around a building.
Pistols are nice but for more umph, get an SBR [with tax stamp] or a bullpup like a Tavor X95

NewWine2020

While it’s not the same feeling as I would imagine owning and being competent with a firearm would give, you can find many nasty things that are totally innocuous at the local hardware store; hammers of varying size, shovels that can have their edges filed very sharp and of course hatchets and axes.

And remember, you know the layout of your hone/neighborhood much better than invaders do. I’m not a violent person by nature but during the “summer of love” in the USA I acquired several large hunting knives and a modern version of a tomahawk For my family. We literally thought that BLM/Antifa was going to run door to door in neighborhoods at one point and just having these within arms reach did much to give us a sense of at least having something to defend our home with if someone kicked in the door.

Soviet (and I would imagine modern Russian) soldiers looked to the entrenching tool/spade the same way that many other nations look to the bayonet; seemingly simple hand tools can be surprisingly effective if that’s all you have.

Wally

Nothing like the Rrrrrrrrrr of a chainsaw to make an intruder take flight.

Or you could go organic and get a pet skunk. But then that may breach some Bio Chemical warfare treaties.

Wally

I bet all those new recruits will be thanking Biden/Obama for stopping the import of Russian ammo and firearms.

Now THEY can have like new M1891 Mosin Nagants. Or if lucky, an old SKS.