Baptists

ShilohRose

I understand that the Southern Baptist Convention is meeting in Nashville, TN, this week and is expected to be a knock down drag out. The last time I heard of this was in the 70s. The conservatives won that battle, but I'm not certain what will happen now. I told my mother that I thought the SBC should split, let the liberals go their own way. The thing is churches in the SBC are not governed by the convention, which is a loose confederation, that is supposed to be banded together mostly for the purpose of the furtherance of the Gospel-- missionary work. If there is a huge difference in doctrine in the churches, they should separate. I would be fine with this solution, although I'm sure there would be a titanic struggle over the money, possessions, and publishing company. Lifeway has not been much punkin in years though, and they closed all of the physical stores.

Burnboss

While a spilt might seem like a good things, there are many factors that would come into play that would be painful. Many Pastors in the SBC churches have paid into the SBC retirement program since many churches don't have a retirement program themselves. SBC Retirement homes, Children Hospitals, when splits happen, a lot of the money is frozen in courts for many many years.

ShilohRose

While a spilt might seem like a good things, there are many factors that would come into play that would be painful. Many Pastors in the SBC churches have paid into the SBC retirement program since many churches don't have a retirement program themselves. SBC Retirement homes, Children Hospitals, when splits happen, a lot of the money is frozen in courts for many many years.
That's true. My father, who passed away last September, received a small pension from them. I had not considered that aspect of it. Sigh. I guess we'll see what happens. I doubt there will be a split, however. I expect the Liberals to take it over and ruin it.

ProxDee222

I attend a Baptist Church myself, thankfully Pastors there also believe Salvation is from faith on Christ alone and our brothers are really friendly, we take our time to read some Christian books on Sunday and there's some sort of activity Saturdays but at that time is late I can't attend sadly, I feel so blessed Daddy put a Church like this close to where I live. :D

GA Watchman

Did you ever watch any sermons of Billy Graham he is the most well known pastor that was of the Baptist denomination? Also, have you watched Robert Jeffress First Baptist of Dallas, Texas? He went to the White House, and prayed with Trump. You can find his sermons, and probably statement of faith. I decided it was best not to put a link on here so you will have to check it out privately.
Add Dr. Charles Stanley

pythons

Its true is it not that of the Baptist Churches that exist today the most conservative hail out of the S.B.C. Growing up I had a friend who lived about a mile away from me who attended a "fundamentalist Baptist" Church. The woke rot keeps creeping into all the Churches.

Jan51

Its true is it not that of the Baptist Churches that exist today the most conservative hail out of the S.B.C. Growing up I had a friend who lived about a mile away from me who attended a "fundamentalist Baptist" Church. The woke rot keeps creeping into all the Churches.
I grew up in a excellent church that was part of the Conservative Baptists. They are more conservative and fundamental than SBC but are not like the legalistic Independent Fundamental Baptists.

Crow Underhill

I was born and raised in a Hardcore, Fundamental, Independent Baptist church, yes Hellfire and Brimstone. I do not have anything bad to say about it. They considered themselves to be a New Testament church. The pastor was a crusty old WWII veteran with a strong limp, would scare the skin off of you and turn your bones to jelly. A good and honest man. The church was devoted to the salvation of souls, not money. As a matter of fact, every Sunday morning before service they rolled out a chalkboard where they showed the congregation how much tithes have been collected, where the money was being spent and what their plans were. My uncle was the assistant pastor, another WWll veteran. The church was a multi-family, mulit-generational congregation, my mother and father's family were members. Church three times a week and visitation on Thursday. Southern Baptists were a no no, as a matter of fact everybody else was a no no. I, being a true prodigal and seeker of things always questioned why, why, why. Today I know why but I am not so hardcore as I was raised. I have attended many churches in my life, Southern Baptist, AME, Methodist, Church of Christ, even Catholic, I am glad I did so and believe we all have a common ground to work upon.

Wings Like Eagles

Very sad that the once-mighty SBC would be splintering. The loss of the Bible as the core of Baptistic thought has been diluted by those who want to form doctrine that compromises with the world. Since when is the Church ever supposed to that?