Bad, unhealthy, unholy commercials

Andy C

I started muting commercials years ago, and when we got interactive TV,
we taped what we wanted to see to be able to fast-forward through the commercials.

Nowadays we gave up on TV altogether, we only watch YouTube pastors and Netflix.
And from Netflix only those that meet my standards (no swearing, no extreme violence).

Last week somebody quoted a commercial line, which I didn’t understand at all.
He was so taken aback about that, I had to laugh. I was a weirdo in his eyes. LOL!
Commercials also drive me nuts.

Most of what we watch, we watch from our DVR option on cable. By doing this, we can fast forward through the commercials. Now, they have a new feature that when its commercial time, I press fast foward and it will automatically stop at the end of the last commercial, thus eliminting me from having to manually try and time it right. I bet the advertising companies hate this new feature.

chaser

We trust you Jesus, you are the only King forever!
I only have over the air tv so I guess I just haven't seen a lot of these.
Same here, we have free tv, no cable/dish/net etc. and we like it, lots of oldies, westerns, police shows like Adam 12 / highway patrol and the show with the two emt fire fighter guys, lots of old black & white shows. I do not watch tv a lot, mostly some news early morn and during the day I am occupied with other things then a little news and something to watch before I hit the hay.
Yeah there are quite a few shows titled “Evil” these days I’ve noticed.
Yes there is, and there will be more!

Lookingup83

Same here, we have free tv, no cable/dish/net etc. and we like it, lots of oldies, westerns, police shows like Adam 12 / highway patrol and the show with the two emt fire fighter guys, lots of old black & white shows. I do not watch tv a lot, mostly some news early morn and during the day I am occupied with other things then a little news and something to watch before I hit the hay.

Yes there is, and there will be more!
The emt show is Emergency! I like to watch the old stuff like Andy Griffith and Gomer Pyle too. I can't watch most of the new stuff, it's just so filthy.

Randy - Saved by Grace

I detest commercials! They insert sleaze into your living room, and also try to manipulate us with marketing techniques into greed.

I began a policy in our home when our boys were small to always mute commercials, and we still do this, even if it’s just my husband and me at home. I can do without that noise!
I always have a backup channel for when commercials come on, I switch to the backup channel.

moosejive

I watch YouTube mostly because I can pick and choose at will what I want to watch. I like a number of good preachers and teachings about God and the Bible . Netflix for any of the other types of shows I want to view. Regular TV is for up to date weather reports...backed up by weather channels on line. News is not from MSM, TV or print. There are some good conservative sites that give the facts and let you make the decision. :)

TrustinHim

I detest commercials! They insert sleaze into your living room, and also try to manipulate us with marketing techniques into greed.

I began a policy in our home when our boys were small to always mute commercials, and we still do this, even if it’s just my husband and me at home. I can do without that noise!
Yes they anticipate the muting of the offensive stuff or images and it jumps out at the start of the commercial. I see an effort to condition people in a lot of advertising.

SonSeeker

We record everything we want to watch, then fast forward thru the commercials. Not only do we skip the bulk of commercials, we save tons of time, too.
I want to add we are replete with weak men being portrayed in sit-coms and ads. Whatever happened to manly men?
I can't speak for sit-coms, but there are many good shows with manly men. All 3 of the NCIS series, all 3 of the Chicago series, Blue Bloods, and one that is becoming our personal favorite, Bull. Granted, most of those are cop shows, so there's a lot of shoot-em ups.

One show that we really liked was Madame Secretary. It was great in the beginning, but last season there was a bull-dyke on there that just drove me up the wall. Apparently, I wasn't alone as they seem to have written "her?" out of this season's shows. But, last night's show portrayed 2 males about to get married, and 2 females who were 'together'.:puke

I may have to join Kim and watch the Hallmark channel.

LisaJoe1986

I have read that now even the Hallmark Channel is not an option. I remember years ago when the commercials came on for Erectile Dysfunction medication and how horrified I was at that. I had young children at the time and I did not want to have to explain to them what that was. We have come a long, dreadful way in a very short time. God help us all to stay strong and true to His word.

Andy C

We record everything we want to watch, then fast forward thru the commercials. Not only do we skip the bulk of commercials, we save tons of time, too.

I can't speak for sit-coms, but there are many good shows with manly men. All 3 of the NCIS series, all 3 of the Chicago series, Blue Bloods, and one that is becoming our personal favorite, Bull. Granted, most of those are cop shows, so there's a lot of shoot-em ups.

One show that we really liked was Madame Secretary. It was great in the beginning, but last season there was a bull-dyke on there that just drove me up the wall. Apparently, I wasn't alone as they seem to have written "her?" out of this season's shows. But, last night's show portrayed 2 males about to get married, and 2 females who were 'together'.:puke

I may have to join Kim and watch the Hallmark channel.
Seems we have TV shows in common. All the ones you mentioned we watch weekly, with one exception, NCIS New Orleans.
Chicago PD is fairly violent, but if someone needs to be caught asap, Im calling Hank.

rubyx1

rubyx1
It's mentioned in another thread but I am seeing a lot more commercials with same sex couples.
Let the normalization continue.

On a non concerned note, I am also seeing a lot of "mixed" couples. Just an interesting fact.

Part of the issue is that the ratio presented of all these "couples" does not even closely represent the true percentage of those types of mixings.

That's how you know they are pushing an agenda.
do you have an issue with mixed-race couples?

yeshua'sbride

♥ Standing with Israel
I hardly think the depiction of interracial couples in commercials is cause for concern. I agree about the rest, though.
do you have an issue with mixed-race couples?
:nono In my opinion, these comments were completely unwarranted and unnecessary. You’d have to perform some high-flying mental gymnastics to read ANY bigotry into @DanLMP ‘s post.

rubyx1

rubyx1
:nono In my opinion, these comments were completely unwarranted and unnecessary. You’d have to perform some high-flying mental gymnastics to read ANY bigotry into @DanLMP ‘s post.
I don`t think what I commented was unwarranted and unnecessary. merely asked a question. also, I did not assume there was any bigotry just the last two sentences seemed odd. but glad it was clarified.

DanLMP

I agree that I did find it odd you wrote that, especially after reading your very informative posts over the years. It seeded out of character, but hey, Im out of character too..... :bluesclues

Glad you clarified.
The intent of my overall post was to highlight the means by which advertising is used to normalize behaviors.

Just based on my own observations the advertisers, who I assume have a Left lean, have been using their ads to normalize same sex marriages, the trans movement and (same sex) mixed marriages, among other things. The last of these should never have been problem, the first two are.

So when watching advertising or listening to or watching any other media that is taking a stand on or trying to influence our behavior about these social issues, it's important for us Christians to VERY cognizant of what is going on and to make sure that we are wearing our armor. These types of tricks to influence us are used because they work.