Babel and Linguistics

Salluz

You mean we can change these titles?
Has anyone ever come across a study that tries to figure out where the languages in the world now came from in regards to the 70 languages created by God at Babel? Obviously languages have further fragmented over the thousands of years since, but it would be absolutely fascinating to look at which ones came from the same source

Salluz

I have a great book about this, but unfortunately it’s in Dutch. Sorry.

But maybe this helps? Also you can link to more related articles.

https://creation.com/tower-of-babel-languages
I gave the article a read and enjoyed it, thanks! The part about languages becoming less and less complex as time has gone on stuck with me, although it wasn't on my mind at all going in. It makes me excited thinking about what sort of language will used when we get our upgrade bodies.

Everyone at Babel forgot their original languages and received the one God prepared for each "nation." I wonder if we will learn a new language like that at the time of the Rapture. Imagine the kinds of written works like books or poems that could be made with language in it's most pure form as God intended it originally.

I also wonder if angels have a native language they spoke before mankind was even created. I also wonder if we will retain our native languages while also learning "Redeemed." I'd imagine the people going into the millennium would keep their native languages... I'm not sure.

I do agree with the idea though that human DNA has been progressively been run down over the course of thousands of years. It makes sense that language is no exception. I'm eager to see what we will all be capable of when we are given bodies that aren't subject to a run down blueprint. I'd like to imagine we will all have eidetic memories (at the very least, I would like to have one :lol) and perform feats that would put modern day Guinness record holders to shame.

I've always wished I had the skill to be a poet or a writer or do anything creative really, so I'm hoping I'll get some (or all!) of those skills come eternity. I was telling someone the other day: imagine if Beethoven had thousands of years to study music without going deaf. Then think of what the music would be like millions of years into forever.

I'd hope the geniuses of heaven would put the geniuses of earth to shame, though.

InsuranceGuy

I have wondered about the language used in Heaven too. Is it English? If not, I'm in trouble. I guess we will just understand one another once we are there. Maybe there is a Heavenly language we know nothing about.

I watched a documentary on the tower of Babel on one of the cable networks a couple Saturdays ago. It was really neat. The blue color used made it truly appear to be touching the clouds. It was a marvel for its time.

Kaatje

Listening for that trumpet sound
I have wondered about the language used in Heaven too. Is it English? If not, I'm in trouble. I guess we will just understand one another once we are there. Maybe there is a Heavenly language we know nothing about.

I watched a documentary on the tower of Babel on one of the cable networks a couple Saturdays ago. It was really neat. The blue color used made it truly appear to be touching the clouds. It was a marvel for its time.
My best guess is it will be Hebrew, God’s people’s tongue.
And we will all be able to both understand and speak it.
Like in the days of the first Pentacost!

Salluz

My best guess is it will be Hebrew, God’s people’s tongue.
And we will all be able to both understand and speak it.
Like in the days of the first Pentacost!
I think it just depends whether Hebrew is the language God gave Adam, or whether Hebrew was created as one of the 70 at babel and Adam's language was lost. I'll put bets on the idea we speak Adamic, whether that's Hebrew or something else

Salluz

God created Adam fully capable of speaking without learning it (otherwise, how could God explain the rule about not eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil?). I think you'll be fine :smile

I also imagine we will all be a good deal smarter after the rapture/resurrection and we get our new and improved bodies, so I think even learning a new language would be a cinch. Think how fast two year olds pick up on language even now; I think we will be able to learn like that with anything we try. Ever wanted to learn an instrument? I bet it would only take a couple years to be as good as the best people are on earth now. But that's just me hoping haha

Kaatje

I think it just depends whether Hebrew is the language God gave Adam, or whether Hebrew was created as one of the 70 at babel and Adam's language was lost. I'll put bets on the idea we speak Adamic, whether that's Hebrew or something else
I thought Hebrew because of Zeph. 3:9.
And because it is called the pure language, I guess Adam spoke it too. :prophet

joshuaisme

i have heard that if one takes Israel as the center of the world[which biblically it is] and then one compares the written languages one will find out that those languages which are east of Israel are written right to left thus pointing to Israel and those which are west are written left to right thus pointing to Israel....

i haven't fully verified this tho.

Kaatje

i have heard that if one takes Israel as the center of the world[which biblically it is] and then one compares the written languages one will find out that those languages which are east of Israel are written right to left thus pointing to Israel and those which are west are written left to right thus pointing to Israel....

It's true!

Jan51

God gave early Christians the ability to instantly speak fluently in another language—the spiritual gift of tongues—so He might do that for us. In Acts 2 it seems the miracle was that men of various language groups “heard” in his own language, since we are not told that anyone spoke in other tongues. So it’s also possible that we will each speak our own language and others will hear it in their own language. Or it might be different than either of those scenarios!

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone ever come across a study that tries to figure out where the languages in the world now came from in regards to the 70 languages created by God at Babel? Obviously languages have further fragmented over the thousands of years since, but it would be absolutely fascinating to look at which ones came from the same source
Brother, you may find what you are looking for on this secular linguistics site: https://www.angmohdan.com/the-root-of-all-human-languages/

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member

It's true!
Sorry, Erika, it cant be true. India is a huge nation well east of Israel and its main languages (Hindi and Bengali) are written left to right. So are Thai, and Vietnamese. Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean are also often written left to right (although they are also often written top to bottom, reading the columns from right to left. But they are not read from right to left.)

Kaatje

Sorry, Erika, it cant be true. India is a huge nation well east of Israel and its main languages (Hindi and Bengali) are written left to right. So are Thai, and Vietnamese. Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean are also often written left to right (although they are also often written top to bottom, reading the columns from right to left. But they are not read from right to left.)
I bow to your wisdom.
My source was Chuck Missler, but I can’t find the article.