Azovstal defenders appear to signal end of siege

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Azovstal defenders appear to signal end of siege
Ukraine wary of Belarusian troops on its border * Russia continues to consolidate control of Kherson and Mariupol
By REUTERS, MICHAEL STARR
Published: MAY 16, 2022

The Ukrainian unit holed up beneath the Azovstal steelworks in Mariupol said on Monday its garrison was fulfilling orders to save the lives of troops, an apparent indication that the long siege there was coming to an end. The fighting at Azovstal in ruined Mariupol has symbolized Ukrainian resistance throughout Russia's nearly three-month-old invasion. Most civilians who had sought shelter at the vast Soviet-era plant were evacuated earlier this month.

"In order to save lives, the entire Mariupol garrison is implementing the approved decision of the Supreme Military Command and hopes for the support of the Ukrainian people," the Azov Regiment said in a social media post. In an accompanying video, one of the unit's senior commanders, Denys Prokopenko, said: "The main thing is to realize all the risks, is there a plan B, are you fully committed to that plan which must allow for fulfilling the assigned tasks and preserve the lives and health of personnel?"

"This is the highest level of overseeing troops. All the more so when your decision is endorsed by the highest military command."

more............. https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-706815

athenasius

So Ukraine is conceding defeat in Mariupol, and trying to get the last of the troops out of there with the least loss of life. For all the headlines about Russia losing the war, this was one of their targets, and they've won. Russia now has gained control over 2 out of the 3 major port cities for Ukraine. It's been costly on both sides. Now they will concentrate on Odessa to complete the corridor along the southern coastline and encircle Ukraine.

athenasius

The holdouts provided a long delay to enable arms shipments.
Praying the Russians don’t kill their prisoners as is their habit.
Wouldn't surprise me if they did kill everyone left standing. I've seen one report (don't know how credible so I won't post it here) that one Russian commander in particular is shooting his own troops when they are severely injured. If they can't walk, he shot them. It comes out of Russian prisoners telling the Ukrainians what's been happening on the Russian side so I take it with a large grain of salt but still. I just don't trust the truth on either side and the Ukrainian side is spinning things as hard as the Russians. Force of habit, desperation, whatever but it makes their credibility questionable.

daygo

Wouldn't surprise me if they did kill everyone left standing. I've seen one report (don't know how credible so I won't post it here) that one Russian commander in particular is shooting his own troops when they are severely injured. If they can't walk, he shot them. It comes out of Russian prisoners telling the Ukrainians what's been happening on the Russian side so I take it with a large grain of salt but still. I just don't trust the truth on either side and the Ukrainian side is spinning things as hard as the Russians. Force of habit, desperation, whatever but it makes their credibility questionable.
Injured captured soldiers won't be used for bargaining purposes then.