Authentic Wax Stamping

Jonathan

I'm sure you have read about, or, more likely seen a King in a movie or other royalty use melted wax to seal an envelope, using their own unique "stamp."

The idea being that the recipient could be assured the letter was never opened, because a opening the envelope (or scroll) will be immediately obvious to the recipient. Also, the King/Royalty/etc. had a one-of a kind wax stamp that couldn't be easily duplicated at the time. Often, this was stamp was in the form a metal ring on a finger.

Last night, I took my mother out to a very nice restaurant and gave her a few presents to make up for the fact we didn't really celebrate her birthday or mother's day appropriately. My gift(s) consisted of a number of seals/stamps with wooden handles, and waxes all across the rainbow in terms of color, as well as stationary and envelopes to use them on.

But back to topic, do any of you play around with this craft? It's a lot of fun and the results are excellent. It turns a normal envelope into a work of art, on the cheap.

It's also cool to be a reenactor of a practice long gone (mostly) from times past.

If you are the type of person is happiest when being creative with crafts, I suggest you look into it.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I've burned my fingers and thumbs a number of times :biggrin

Used to have a letter stamp for the first letter of my last name that I used.

Been thinking about getting a Christian stamp of some sort (someday). Thought about a Jerusalem Cross, but then I found out it's used by some hate groups :mad

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I haven't played around with them, but I think they're really cool. The closest I've gotten is buying a fountain pen and trying to teach myself cursive (I was never really taught it in school). I loved writing with the fountain pen; it was a lot smoother than any ballpoint. I haven't used it in a while, though.

Yes, I do realize fountain pens aren't quite as old. I haven't attempted writing with a quill

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I haven't played around with them, but I think they're really cool. The closest I've gotten is buying a fountain pen and trying to teach myself cursive (I was never really taught it in school). I loved writing with the fountain pen; it was a lot smoother than any ballpoint. I haven't used it in a while, though.

Yes, I do realize fountain pens aren't quite as old. I haven't attempted writing with a quill

I learned cursive in grade school but at a fairly young age I went through a Junior Police Academy and we had to print in block letters there. I've been writing that way ever since and no longer remember how to write in cursive. I remember some of the letters but I don't remember enough of them to write in cursive...

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I learned cursive in grade school but at a fairly young age I went through a Junior Police Academy and we had to print in block letters there. I've been writing that way ever since and no longer remember how to write in cursive. I remember some of the letters but I don't remember enough of them to write in cursive...

I think there's a lot of beauty in it, but I can also see why many see it as obsolete in the face of things like typing. Handwriting in total, not just cursive. Especially when you need to edit something; it's infinitely easier when you can just highlight and delete instead of rewriting an entire page. Handwriting is going the way the scribes went in the wake of the printing press

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
There's nothing quite so elegant than a simple, handwritten thank you note or apology on nice stationary or a simple (blank inside) card. Love letters . . .

I used to have a fountain pen that used a replaceable ink cartridge. Less messy than the refillable bladder kind, but have to worry about the company going out of business or the cartridges being discontinued :frown Always good to get a replacement bladder (or two) for the older type . . .

Just used the fountain pen for daily writing. But never learned to do calligraphy, which is fancy, beautiful.