At what point do you walk away?

InsuranceGuy

When you are trying to reach a family member with the gospel, at what point do you kick the dust from your heels and move on? I am trying to reach some folks in my family. I get nonsense type comments about aliens, that we live in a simulation, that there are many gods so why should they believe in mine..... I'm sort of fed up and realize at this point it is more game playing by my family and nothing I say can help convince them. Do I just shut up now and pray for them?

When you are trying to reach a family member with the gospel, at what point do you kick the dust from your heels and move on? I am trying to reach some folks in my family. I get nonsense type comments about aliens, that we live in a simulation, that there are many gods so why should they believe in mine..... I'm sort of fed up and realize at this point it is more game playing by my family and nothing I say can help convince them. Do I just shut up now and pray for them?

Dan, if they aren't listening to you, I would say now is time to just turn them over to the Lord, but continue to pray for them. if they ask you about it so they can tease or mock you, just tell them "When you're ready to listen for real, I'll be ready to talk."

The Lord doesn't require us to repeatedly tell the same people about salvation, hoping that they will break down (unless He moves us in certain instances). They have the truth now, and it's up to them to act on it. If they don't, then when the times comes, it's on them should they find themselves on the wrong side of the Great White Throne.

Last edited:

RestInHim

Two Scriptures that you may already be aware of Dan.

Matthew 10:13-14 (KJV) And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

I believe we are not to waste our time trying to convince people who refuse to hear the Gospel. I know I've done it and I don't believe it has done any good. The same with those who profess to be Christians but are not willing to grow in spiritual maturity... we can spend some time with them but if they are not willing, we are wasting time that we could be sharing the gospel elsewhere.

Here's some info. on both Scriptures...

https://www.gotquestions.org/pearls-before-swine.html

Saved and Waiting

I believe there are people who respond the best with our silence. They don't expect that. You've planted many seeds. They can close their ears to you but God never does. Continue to pray for them...the Lord knows how much you want them to believe and our prayers never come back void.

InsuranceGuy

Two Scriptures that you may already be aware of Dan.

Matthew 10:13-14 (KJV) And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

I believe we are not to waste our time trying to convince people who refuse to hear the Gospel. I know I've done it and I don't believe it has done any good. The same with those who profess to be Christians but are not willing to grow in spiritual maturity... we can spend some time with them but if they are not willing, we are wasting time that we could be sharing the gospel elsewhere.

Here's some info. on both Scriptures...

https://www.gotquestions.org/pearls-before-swine.html

Today was the first time I felt openly mocked for my beliefs. My sister began throwing out stupid things, like aliens are real so i need to look into that, or Elon Musk says we are in a simulation so I need to watch him on some podcast. I've been practically begging her to come to Christ before it is too late. In return, she has made me out to be a fool to the family. I'll just keep on with the prayers, but I no longer will try and discuss things with her.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Do I just shut up now and pray for them?

If you've shared the gospel with them, then yes, shut up now, pray for them, and do your best to live in a way pleasing to God. The example of your life compared with Words already shared will be like a one two knock out punch should they ever pause and consider God. But you're not walking away. You're ministering to them with God's love.

borrowedtime

READ WHAT I SAY ENTIRELY BEFORE PASSING JUDGEMENT ON THE POST PRETTY PLEASE.

God is the one who calls us out. We must also be seeking Him for truth.

Sometimes a preacher is there when the lost is seeking and God uses them as the means to call them out. But the lost was already seeking Him out.

We can be ambassadors of God and preach, but the conversion is God and them. If they aren’t seeking then there will be no reconciliation.

If seeds have been planted then do as Jesus told the apostles and dust off the sandals, let Jesus shine through you and let what happens happens.

Last edited:

kathymendel

YES.

RestInHim

Today was the first time I felt openly mocked for my beliefs. My sister began throwing out stupid things, like aliens are real so i need to look into that, or Elon Musk says we are in a simulation so I need to watch him on some podcast. I've been practically begging her to come to Christ before it is too late. In return, she has made me out to be a fool to the family. I'll just keep on with the prayers, but I no longer will try and discuss things with her.

Dan, I think that with all that you are going through, you want to see your loved one's come to accept Jesus as their Savior. I would want that too if I knew that my time left on earth here we're nearing it's end and would more than likely have more anxiety over it too.

For 10 years at least with our own children whom a couple of them professed salvation and we're baptized and a couple of married spouses who also professed to be Christians, we have had an extremely stressful relationship. With other extended family members whom I shared the gospel with more than once things have only worsened to the point where there is pretty much no contact! No amount of trying by repeated topics of gospel or God's word made any difference. There is a great amount of hatred and as I said it is worse. What is really sad is the one's who aren't saved are seeing two opposing behaviors from some who profess to be Christian, myself and our children and spouses.

What have I learnt? Trying to convince and going out of my way to attend family get togethers and trying to be a part of their lives so as to be a light in their lives made no difference. Now, it is DH and I and our one son who still talks to us.

You know the saying. When you see someone drowning you don't jump in right away to try and save them or you will go down with them. Sometimes we have to let them go through life and let God work in their lives and hopefully your words about God's love for them will one day take route.

Lovin Jesus

If you are confident you’ve shared the gospel clearly with them and they are not being receptive, it’s ok to back off. They know where you stand and they know where you think they stand, it’s time to be quiet and pray. If they come to want to seek God they will find Him whether it be through you or someone else. You may Just have to take a break. Remember Jesus knows who his sheep are and they listen to his voice.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Although they aren't family, i have very close friends who will accept conpsiracy theories and a coming Alien invasion but will not accept that there is a God who will be returning very soon to judge this evil world and that they can be spared from this impending judgement if they accept his gift of salvation through Jesus sacrifice.

For that i'm deemed crazy but the conspiracy theories they indulge in and believe is far more crazier , it kills me !!!!

cheeky200386

I've struggled with this one since day one of my conversion. For me, it's with my siblings who are extremely left in their world-views. Any topics about Christianity, politics, and or against the MSM are off topics. As a result, conversations are superficial and infrequent. Unfortunately, I have gotten angry with my youngest brother in his attacks towards me and God. I have to constantly pray for more patience and love towards him especially. I'm sad it has damaged my witness and pray the Lord bring someone to them that will witness the truth of the Gospel.

I'm at the point where I'm fine not having any contact with them. I just don't see them as my family, my sisters and brothers in Christ are. As of the past year, I've focused more on my Christian relationships and spreading the Gospel. I will continue to pray for my siblings and wait on what only God can do. This might be all you can do at this point. God bless you and I will pray for your family too.

InsuranceGuy

I've struggled with this one since day one of my conversion. For me, it's with my siblings who are extremely left in their world-views. Any topics about Christianity, politics, and or against the MSM are off topics. As a result, conversations are superficial and infrequent. Unfortunately, I have gotten angry with my youngest brother in his attacks towards me and God. I have to constantly pray for more patience and love towards him especially. I'm sad it has damaged my witness and pray the Lord bring someone to them that will witness the truth of the Gospel.

I'm at the point where I'm fine not having any contact with them. I just don't see them as my family, my sisters and brothers in Christ are. As of the past year, I've focused more on my Christian relationships and spreading the Gospel. I will continue to pray for my siblings and wait on what only God can do. This might be all you can do at this point. God bless you and I will pray for your family too.

I hate the thought of not talking with my only sibling before I depart, but what she is doing almost seems demonic. Who tries to get their dying brother to abandon his belief in God as they are dying? It makes me angry, sad and every emotion all at once. We stopped speaking over 10 years ago because she is evil. I began speaking with her again in January, only to explain the Bible, Jesus, his love and Heaven. At first she would ask questions, then I began hearing she was making fun of my beliefs. Now she is almost mocking them. I tried with everything I had to make my family a family again. It didn't work. Now I just feel dumb for trying, or expecting someone to understand. She grew up in church. She knows the Bible stories. She's never known Jesus though and does t seem to want to. It is maddening to me as I just want the entire family in Heaven someday.

FaithnHope

Loved and changed by Jesus.
Yes, as hard as it is to do. I love my brother to pieces but this is what I had to do. He really believes in aliens and I can’t convince him otherwise. The Jesus he claims to know isn’t the Biblical Jesus. I love him enough to walk away and let the Lord work on him. He has heard the truth, without me to debate with, maybe he will really give it serious thought. I still pray for him though.
Although they aren't family, i have very close friends who will accept conpsiracy theories and a coming Alien invasion but will not accept that there is a God who will be returning very soon to judge this evil world and that they can be spared from this impending judgement if they accept his gift of salvation through Jesus sacrifice.

For that i'm deemed crazy but the conspiracy theories they indulge in and believe is far more crazier , it kills me !!!!
Same here. If they refuse to wake up now, I do pray they are tribulation saints. Revelation talks about a massive amount of believers who die for their faith. If they are unwilling now, they possibly could be preaching once we are gone. I find peace in that. They will pay with their lives but most people will die during that time period. Why not do it for our Lord? That’s my hope, especially if we are as close as we think we are.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I hate the thought of not talking with my only sibling before I depart, but what she is doing almost seems demonic. Who tries to get their dying brother to abandon his belief in God as they are dying? It makes me angry, sad and every emotion all at once. We stopped speaking over 10 years ago because she is evil. I began speaking with her again in January, only to explain the Bible, Jesus, his love and Heaven. At first she would ask questions, then I began hearing she was making fun of my beliefs. Now she is almost mocking them. I tried with everything I had to make my family a family again. It didn't work. Now I just feel dumb for trying, or expecting someone to understand. She grew up in church. She knows the Bible stories. She's never known Jesus though and does t seem to want to. It is maddening to me as I just want the entire family in Heaven someday.

Yes, it is frustrating. I just keep praying for my dad, uncle, and half-brother. Sometimes prayer is the answer. JMHO.

cheeky200386

I'm so sorry to hear that. WOW. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post right now. This has been my struggle for years now and it's just getting worse. I wish I had more words of encouragement too. I'm just at a loss because I can feel the pain in your post and yet I can't even imagine how you're feeling knowing that your time is literally slipping away with a terminal illness. Oh Lord I pray that you provide this man your wisdom, comfort, and encouragement. Lord we need your peace so badly. You know his heart and how desperately he wants his family to be with him in your presence. Please Father I cry out to you Lord for a miracle. Please God reveal yourself to them in such a way that his sister and daughters will repent and have faith.

I will be keeping you and your family in continued prayer. I just truly can't imagine yet I can also relate to the hurt at seeing families ripped apart because of Jesus Christ. These two very popular verses always come to my mind after any negative interaction with my youngest brother:

Matthew 10:34-36. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Matthew 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

The most recent verse that I learned is one I struggle to apply but is so appropriate for dealing with hostile siblings:

2 Timothy 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

This is extremely difficult for me, which is why I highlighted it. I get so emotional and want to defend myself. I also remember that they are ensared by Satan. What she's doing is demonic. She is a child of Satan for the time. Yet we were once there too. This gives me comfort knowing that even as bad as I was, God did not give up on me.

I really pray the Lord grant you the privilege to see her saved before your passing, but I also trust when God says he wishes none to perish. I trust the Lord is working on our siblings' lives when we're not present. Your passing may be what it takes for her to be softened to the Lord.