Assurance of Salvation

Simon

I pray that this will be a help and blessing to many.

My Testimony
I was brought up in a Christian home and led to the Lord by my mother before I had turned 6 years of age. I remember it now, kneeling down by the side of my bed with my mother by my side. I don't recall any conviction of sin or repentance, only that my primary motivation was one of fear that my parents were going to heaven and I would be left behind. That's about all I can remember, but my mother knew the gospel and I am sure that I had heard it and she did her best to explain it to me at the time.

Who can really say whether that was a saving faith or not? Only God knows for sure, but I think if a little child comes to him in belief not fully understanding faith, sin, repentance, justification, propitiation and the cross that God will have accepted me in my ignorance. Jesus accepted the little ones even when the disciples tried to turn them away. Matthew 19:14.

Now there were at least two significant factors that impacted on my faith growing up as a young believer.

1. There's a major difference between coming to faith as a child and getting saved as an adult. Although a young child is still a sinner there is no history of a life of sin prior to being born again. When an adult is saved there should be an immediate and fairly dramatic change in their life, indicated by a change of attitudes, motives and behaviour. With a child this is not so. They are still a normal child who will misbehave and need to be disciplined and parented and also go through their adolescence in the normal manner. There is, therefore, no obvious change in their behaviour. They need to mature in the normal sense as well as to grow spiritually. Their spiritual growth is hindered by the fact they are a child and they aren't able to bring an adult understanding to the scriptures and to their faith. Besides which most churches will still treat them as a child and not feed them properly. Probably because there is no obvious change in behaviour they lack assurance because they just don't feel saved. Over the years I have spoken to many Christians who were brought up in a Christian home and most - if not all - report that they lacked assurance of their salvation. So for any Christian parents reading this it's very likely that your children will have similar issues.

2. My parents and the church that I grew up in was a Bible believing, gospel preaching church. It was also rather legalistic and a little lacking in love. There were some wonderful godly Christians there, but not all of them. The fruits of the spirit were not in great evidence. They preached the gospel faithfully every week, both in the main adult services and in the children's work. All children's talks and Sunday school messages led back to Jesus, the cross and the message of salvation. By the time I was a teenager I must have heard the gospel message at least 1,000 times. I knew it forwards, backwards and inside-out. The problem was that all they really did was preach the gospel and very little else. If I'm completely honest it almost became boring because I needed to be fed and I wasn't even getting any milk. The midwives delivered a few babies occasionally and then just left them to starve. The young believers simply weren't taught clearly or systematically. The only real teaching that was done at that church was meat for the self-satisfied "spiritually superior". Over the years that church has dwindled because beyond preaching the gospel there was not much life in it.

So as a child I simply didn't grow spiritually. My knowledge of the Bible increased because they were a Bible believing church, but it was all in my head and not in my heart. I behaved like a normal child, and as a fairly normal teenager. Although as a teenager my behaviour was generally better than most of my peers and I believe God kept me away from anything particularly bad. No wonder then that I lacked assurance of my salvation. I just didn't feel saved, so over those years I got "saved" many times on my own in private. Looking back it seems to me that for anyone giving their heart to Jesus on a number of occasions, it is a reasonably good indication that they are a child of God who are simply lacking assurance.

Assurance of Salvation Part 1
As a teenager and young adult who doubted my salvation I naturally listened very intently to any and every sermon preached on assurance. I heard a number of messages on assurance during those years and they all more or less said the same thing. This is what they all said:

Because God says so.

This was their logic. The Bible is God's word. That was fine; I believed that was true. Then they quoted various verses about the gospel, such as John 3:16, John 5:24, Romans 10:9 etc. I'm sure the reader can think of others. Then they said that if you have repented of your sin and have put your faith in Jesus death on the cross as having paid the price then you will be saved. Because the Bible says so. I believed that too, so no problem with that either.

A common problem that many people have is that they don't "feel" saved. Salvation is not based on feelings, but rather it's based on God's certain promises given in his word. If God says we are saved then we are saved no matter how we feel. This is a good answer and for some people it will help them.

But it didn't solve my problem as it only gives half the answer.

My problem was this. How did I know that my repentance was real? and how did I know that my faith was real? They didn't answer that question, so I was left with the same doubts and uncertainty. How could I be sure?

Assurance of Salvation Part 2

Because I wasn't a terribly mature Christian who lacked assurance I never the read the Bible much by myself. I read it a little, just not enough. Immature believer, no assurance, not enough Bible, not much prayer, generally living partly for myself and not sold out for God. One foot in the church and the other in the world. It's a vicious circle as one problem feeds the other.

I eventually got the answer that I needed when I started reading the Bible extensively by myself.

1. If you're truly not saved then it's best to read John's Gospel. John explains why he wrote it:

"Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name." John 20:30-31

2. If you are saved and lacking assurance then it's best to read John's first epistle. John explains why he wrote it:

"I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God." 1 John 5:13

We can all have opinions about how to deal with lack of assurance, but the only one that really matters is God's. If you lack assurance of salvation then keep please reading John's first epistle. That's why he wrote it. God's words are the only ones that really matter.

I want to bring out two key points from 1 John that deal with assurance of salvation.

1. We must deal with unconfessed sin.

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us." 1 John 1:8-10

John is writing his letter to believers, whom he addresses as "My little children". When - and not if - we sin then we must confess it to God so that we put it right with him.

When we do sin and confess it then Jesus intercedes on our behalf:

"My little children, I am writing these things to you, so that you do not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous One." 1 John 2:1

If we don't confess our sin then we will lack assurance. In my opinion this is best done immediately but at least daily. Also see the so-called Lord's prayer.

2. We keep his commandments

"By this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. Whoever says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word truly has the love of God perfected in him. By this we know we are in Him. Whoever says he remains in Him ought to walk as He walked." 1 John 2:3-6

"If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who does righteousness is born of Him." 1 John 2:29

God's promise is clear. We will know that we know him if we keep his commandments. That is we obey the teachings of Jesus. That's what the scripture says.

It's also crucial for growth. If we sin - and don't confess it - then we are easy prey as we have little defence against the evil one. We need the breastplate of righteousness. Ephesians 6:14.

Let me be clear here, I am not advocating salvation by works. Rather that scripture teaches us the only way we can know our faith and salvation is real, is because true belief in Jesus and true repentance causes us to be obedient. In Hebrew a name wasn't simply what you called someone but it represented who they were and what they stood for. So it is with Jesus, believing in the name of Jesus also means believing in everything he did and taught. That means doing it. Putting Jesus' words into practice. He did tell us it wasn't going to be easy. Matthew 7:13-14

This is about assurance not salvation itself. Salvation by faith alone - but Assurance by righteousness (works).

James makes the same point in his letter.

"Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." James 2:17-18

If we are saved and we continue to sin, then we won't lose our salvation but we will lose our assurance. Also 1 John 2:4 says that those "who say, “I know Him,” and does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him." So if we continue to sin then it could be that we weren't saved in the first place. We just won't know which it is.

Jesus taught the same thing in the Sermon on the Mount.

15 “Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruit. Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit. But a corrupt tree bears evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a corrupt tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore, by their fruit you will know them. 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonderful works in Your name?’ 23 But then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from Me, you who practice evil.’ 24 “Whoever hears these sayings of Mine and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on a rock. Matthew 7:15-24

In scripture when something is important and clear then it is confirmed in many other scriptures.

So in summary, if you want assurance of your salvation then immerse yourself in the first epistle of John until you get it. Then for the rest of your life confess your sin regularly and obey the teachings of Jesus.

Satan Wants You To Lack Assurance

Finally, I want to turn to the role of the evil one in all of this.

Satan, which means adversary and he is also known as the great deceiver. In his pride Satan wanted to usurp the place of God and to be worshipped. When you are saved he's lost you so his next best option is to make you ineffective as a Christian.

A mature, obedient, humble servant of God is a danger to Satan. You might be the cause of others being saved. He wants to deal with you and make you ineffective. An immature, disobedient Christian is no threat and no danger to him, so he'd like to keep it that way.

He will find any way that he can to bring us down. He knows every trick in the book - and he knows the scriptures.

How does he do this?

1. Tempts us into sin.
2. Tries to stops us from confessing our sin.
3. He accuses us before God day and night. Rev 12:9-10. Zechariah 3:1.
4. He pricks our conscience and tells us we aren't really saved.
5. He blames God for calamities. See Job.
6. He tells us not to read the Bible.
7. He tells us not to pray.
8. He tells us to give up.
9. Discouragement and Persecution. If we are strong and he's not able to attack us directly then he attacks us through other means. Our marriages, families, friends and colleauges. Other believers. Adversaries.

Is this familiar to everyone?

Edited for formatting & presentation.

Last edited:

ShilohRose

I can relate to this. Daddy was a pastor, and our lives revolved around the church. I made a profession of faith three times. I was 7, the first time, and I remember it clearly. I suspect I was saved then, even though I didn't really understand. I knew something was wrong, and God could fix it, and this "fixing" had been called "being saved", so I asked Him to save me. There wasn't any change in my life, and a year or so following, I did it again. I didn't really understand it until the final time I prayed and asked for forgiveness, when I was 12. There was a change in me that time, and from then until now, I have been waiting for the Rapture, even though I have often gone my own way.

Hol

Worships Him
Thank you so much Simon! It is during sanctification the my assurance has grown. And it is because of His Word.

At times it seems my flesh has grown too, but it's that as I honor Jesus more & trust Him more deeply, I get a glimpse of how awful my flesh always was & still is.
:ego

Len

I certainly relate to to your post Simon and found it a really good read so thank your for sharing it, for myself I think for myself being unsaved is the more likely issue after reading it ..... and I really like your "George Muller signature" that is how I see the transition from the normal to born again.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
9. Discouragement and Persecution. If we are strong and he's not able to attack us directly then he attacks us through other means. Our marriages, families, friends and colleauges. Other believers. Adversaries.

Great post!! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. :)

You are so right about enemy tactics. There's been a real battle against some precious family members and it's pretty focused and obvious, causing me to stay in steady prayer and continually and lovingly pointing to Christ.

What almost took me under in grief , shock and discouragement was to have a close and loved member of extended family who has claimed to know Christ directly tell me to stop reading the bible, stop praying, and stop trusting God.

That sent me reeling for awhile. After wading through the powerful emotions and re-assessing the relationship the recognition pierced through the fog that this was enemy tactics.

What I also realized was there is great power in reading the Word, for it is instruction in Godly living and overcoming. There is great power in faith in Christ for that makes me a child of God and thus I am watched over with great care by a supreme being. There is great power in prayer for as a child of God, my prayers are heard and whether I'm aware of it or not prayers, along with following Jesus Christ and faith in Jesus Christ penetrates enemy territory.

As a result an attack meant to precisly cripple me and attempt to shut down these very things God wants me to do was executed.

However, God in His grace and kindness through His Word showed me what was going on and how to respond.

I found freedom, a course of action along with strength and encouragement. God's Word uncannily spoke directly and precisely to my particular situation.

So, faith, reading the Word and prayer only increased for me as I saw the reality of God's guidance and power in my life.

Now, there are other things flaring up, but again......God's Word, faith and prayer are the answer for me.

God has helped me to be aware of our enemy, but stay focused on Him.

georgeO

Very good testimony. Just want to say I also believe that I was saved at an early age. It has been a life long process of sanctification for me. I know the Lord has been with me every step of the way. Especially thru the sinful times which were plain stupid for my part. It's still an ongoing process for me.

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
I originally started writing this thread in response to another thread by Don Johnson, but decided that perhaps I should post it as a separate thread in "Testimonies". I pray that it will be a help and blessing to many.

My Testimony
I was brought up in a Christian home and led to the Lord by my mother before I had turned 6 years of age. I remember it now, kneeling down by the side of my bed with my mother by my side. I don't recall any conviction of sin or repentance, only that my primary motivation was one of fear that my parents were going to heaven and I would be left behind. That's about all I can remember, but my mother knew the gospel and I am sure that I had heard it and she did her best to explain it to me at the time.

Who can really say whether that was a saving faith or not? Only God knows for sure, but I think if a little child comes to him in belief not fully understanding faith, sin, repentance, justification, propitiation and the cross that God will have accepted me in my ignorance. Jesus accepted the little ones even when the disciples tried to turn them away. Matthew 19:14.

Now there were at least two significant factors that impacted on my faith growing up as a young believer.

1. There's a major difference between coming to faith as a child and getting saved as an adult. Although a young child is still a sinner there is no history of a life of sin prior to being born again. When an adult is saved there should be an immediate and fairly dramatic change in their life, indicated by a change of attitudes, motives and behaviour. With a child this is not so. They are still a normal child who will misbehave and need to be disciplined and parented and also go through their adolescence in the normal manner. There is, therefore, no obvious change in their behaviour. They need to mature in the normal sense as well as to grow spiritually. Their spiritual growth is hindered by the fact they are a child and they aren't able to bring an adult understanding to the scriptures and to their faith. Besides which most churches will still treat them as a child and not feed them properly. Probably because there is no obvious change in behaviour they lack assurance because they just don't feel saved. Over the years I have spoken to many Christians who were brought up in a Christian home and most - if not all - report that they lacked assurance of their salvation. So for any Christian parents reading this it's very likely that your children will have similar issues.

2. My parents and the church that I grew up in was a Bible believing, gospel preaching church. It was also rather legalistic and a little lacking in love. There were some wonderful godly Christians there, but not all of them. The fruits of the spirit were not in great evidence. They preached the gospel faithfully every week, both in the main adult services and in the children's work. All children's talks and Sunday school messages led back to Jesus, the cross and the message of salvation. By the time I was a teenager I must have heard the gospel message at least 1,000 times. I knew it forwards, backwards and inside-out. The problem was that all they really did was preach the gospel and very little else. If I'm completely honest it almost became boring because I needed to be fed and I wasn't even getting any milk. The midwives delivered a few babies occasionally and then just left them to starve. The young believers simply weren't taught clearly or systematically. The only real teaching that was done at that church was meat for the self-satisfied "spiritually superior". Over the years that church has dwindled because beyond preaching the gospel there was not much life in it.

So as a child I simply didn't grow spiritually. My knowledge of the Bible increased because they were a Bible believing church, but it was all in my head and not in my heart. I behaved like a normal child, and as a fairly normal teenager. Although as a teenager my behaviour was generally better than most of my peers and I believe God kept me away from anything particularly bad. No wonder then that I lacked assurance of my salvation. I just didn't feel saved, so over those years I got "saved" many times on my own in private. Looking back it seems to me that for anyone giving their heart to Jesus on a number of occasions, it is a reasonably good indication that they are a child of God who are simply lacking assurance.

Assurance of Salvation Part 1
As a teenager and young adult who doubted my salvation I naturally listened very intently to any and every sermon preached on assurance. I heard a number of messages on assurance during those years and they all more or less said the same thing. This is what they all said:

Because God says so.

This was their logic. The Bible is God's word. That was fine; I believed that was true. Then they quoted various verses about the gospel, such as John 3:16, John 5:24, Romans 10:9 etc. I'm sure the reader can think of others. Then they said that if you have repented of your sin and have put your faith in Jesus death on the cross as having paid the price then you will be saved. Because the Bible says so. I believed that too, so no problem with that either.

A common problem that many people have is that they don't "feel" saved. Salvation is not based on feelings, but rather it's based on God's certain promises given in his word. If God says we are saved then we are saved no matter how we feel. This is a good answer and for some people it will help them.

But it didn't solve my problem as it only gives half the answer.

My problem was this. How did I know that my repentance was real? and how did I know that my faith was real? They didn't answer that question, so I was left with the same doubts and uncertainty. How could I be sure?

Assurance of Salvation Part 2

Because I wasn't a terribly mature Christian who lacked assurance I never the read the Bible much by myself. I read it a little, just not enough. Immature believer, no assurance, not enough Bible, not much prayer, generally living partly for myself and not sold out for God. One foot in the church and the other in the world. It's a vicious circle as one problem feeds the other.

I eventually got the answer that I needed when I started reading the Bible extensively by myself.

1. If you're truly not saved then it's best to read John's Gospel. John explains why he wrote it:

"Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name." John 20:30-31

2. If you are saved and lacking assurance then it's best to read John's first epistle. John explains why he wrote it:

"I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God." 1 John 5:13

We can all have opinions about how to deal with lack of assurance, but the only one that really matters is God's. If you lack assurance of salvation then keep please reading John's first epistle. That's why he wrote it. God's words are the only ones that really matter.

I want to bring out two key points from 1 John that deal with assurance of salvation.

1. We must deal with unconfessed sin.
"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us." 1 John 1:8-10

John is writing his letter to believers, whom he addresses as "My little children". When - and not if - we sin then we must confess it to God so that we put it right with him.

When we do sin and confess it then Jesus intercedes on our behalf:
"My little children, I am writing these things to you, so that you do not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous One." 1 John 2:1

If we don't confess our sin then we will lack assurance. In my opinion this is best done immediately but at least daily. Also see the so-called Lord's prayer.

2. We keep his commandments
"By this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. Whoever says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word truly has the love of God perfected in him. By this we know we are in Him. Whoever says he remains in Him ought to walk as He walked." 1 John 2:3-6

"If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who does righteousness is born of Him." 1 John 2:29

God's promise is clear. We will know that we know him if we keep his commandments. That is we obey the teachings of Jesus. That's what the scripture says.

It's also crucial for growth. If we sin - and don't confess it - then we are easy prey as we have little defence against the evil one. We need the breastplate of righteousness. Ephesians 6:14.

Let me be clear here, I am not advocating salvation by works. Rather that scripture teaches us the only way we can know our faith and salvation is real, is because true belief in Jesus and true repentance causes us to be obedient. In Hebrew a name wasn't simply what you called someone but it represented who they were and what they stood for. So it is with Jesus, believing in the name of Jesus also means believing in everything he did and taught. That means doing it. Putting Jesus' words into practice. He did tell us it wasn't going to be easy. Matthew 7:13-14

This is about assurance not salvation itself. Salvation by faith alone - but Assurance by righteousness (works).

James makes the same point in his letter.

"Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." James 2:17-18

If we are saved and we continue to sin, then we won't lose our salvation but we will lose our assurance. Also 1 John 2:4 says that those "who say, “I know Him,” and does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him." So if we continue to sin then it could be that we weren't saved in the first place. We just won't know which it is.

Jesus taught the same thing in the Sermon on the Mount.

15 “Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruit. Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit. But a corrupt tree bears evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a corrupt tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore, by their fruit you will know them.
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonderful works in Your name?’ 23 But then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from Me, you who practice evil.’ 24 “Whoever hears these sayings of Mine and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on a rock. Matthew 7:15-24

In scripture when something is important and clear then it is confirmed in many other scriptures.

So in summary, if you want assurance of your salvation then immerse yourself in the first epistle of John until you get it. Then for the rest of your life confess your sin regularly and obey the teachings of Jesus.

Satan Wants You To Lack Assurance

Finally, I want to turn to the role of the evil one in all of this.

Satan, which means adversary and he is also known as the great deceiver. In his pride Satan wanted to usurp the place of God and to be worshipped. When you are saved he's lost you so his next best option is to make you ineffective as a Christian.

A mature, obedient, humble servant of God is a danger to Satan. You might be the cause of others being saved. He wants to deal with you and make you ineffective. An immature, disobedient Christian is no threat and no danger to him, so he'd like to keep it that way.

He will find any way that he can to bring us down. He knows every trick in the book - and he knows the scriptures.

How does he do this?

1. Tempts us into sin.
2. Tries to stops us from confessing our sin.
3. He accuses us before God day and night. Rev 12:9-10. Zechariah 3:1.
4. He pricks our conscience and tells us we aren't really saved.
5. He blames God for calamities. See Job.

Is this familiar to everyone?

PS. First draft. I'm happy to edit the above or add extra details based on constructive feedback.
Those who are saved are those who are forgiven. Our assurance comes with knowing who we are trusting in...ourselves or Jesus. Our lives will reflect what our hearts truly believe. I enjoyed reading everything you wrote and agree with it. Those who are not saved, do not desire to please God nor want His forgiveness. You will know that you are saved if you know that you have been forgiven. Luke 1:77, 24:47, Eph. 1:7 (remission=forgiveness of sins)
Brother Albert

Last edited:

ldonjohn

"God said it, that settles it!"
Those who are saved are those who are forgiven. Our assurance comes with knowing who we are trusting in...ourselves or Jesus. Our lives will reflect what our hearts truly believe. I enjoyed reading everything you wrote and agree with it. Those who are not saved, do not desire to please God nor want His forgiveness. You will know that you are saved if you know that you have been forgiven. Luke 1:77, 24:47, Eph. 1:7 (remission=forgiveness of sins)
Brother Albert

This, the part in bold, was the moment the Holy Spirit opened my eyes and "I got it." When I saw that my sin was paid for "in full" by Jesus' death on the cross & His shed blood there I knew I was forgiven. That was the moment then Holy Spirit "convinced" me that Jesus had already done all that God required for me to be forgiven, saved, and that instead of fretting over what "I" was doing, that I should just "rest" in the finished work of Jesus on the cross. Then my faith transferred from "me" to Jesus. The Holy Spirit literally made a "believer" out of me. I don't believe I am saved because I said the sinners' prayer, or because I confessed my sin, or I "believe in Jesus," or for anything I have done. Those are things that I should do, but those things don't save me, nor do they give me assurance that I am saved. The ONLY assurance I have is this that just before Jesus died He said, "It is finished." He was saying that "my" sin debt was "paid in full."

Don

Brother Albert R.

This, the part in bold, was the moment the Holy Spirit opened my eyes and "I got it." When I saw that my sin was paid for "in full" by Jesus' death on the cross & His shed blood there I knew I was forgiven. That was the moment then Holy Spirit "convinced" me that Jesus had already done all that God required for me to be forgiven, saved, and that instead of fretting over what "I" was doing, that I should just "rest" in the finished work of Jesus on the cross. Then my faith transferred from "me" to Jesus. The Holy Spirit literally made a "believer" out of me. I don't believe I am saved because I said the sinners' prayer, or because I confessed my sin, or I "believe in Jesus," or for anything I have done. Those are things that I should do, but those things don't save me, nor do they give me assurance that I am saved. The ONLY assurance I have is this that just before Jesus died He said, "It is finished." He was saying that "my" sin debt was "paid in full."

Don
AMEN!
Brother ALbert

Endangered

Simon, your avatar is the COOLEST!
I was also saved at a young age, maybe 8 or 9. I have also had doubts along life`s about the veracity of the Bible and Christianity. Rather than take Christianity completely by faith I began to look at things in the Bible that can be verified. RF has 101 Scientific Facts from the Bible. After reading facts stated in the Bible thousands of years before science verfied them I began to believe stronger and adopted the following philosophy : If the Bible is right about verifiable scientific facts thousands of years ago it's also right about the stuff you can't verify like salvation and eternal life.
I guess I had to verify what I could before accepting as truth what couldn't be verified. Now I accept without question cocncepts like rapture, reanimation, and the second coming. That`s how a natural skeptic like me accepts supernatural concepts.

RATHER

I was
S

Brother Albert R.

Simon, your avatar is the COOLEST!
I was also saved at a young age, maybe 8 or 9. I have also had doubts along life`s about the veracity of the Bible and Christianity. Rather than take Christianity completely by faith I began to look at things in the Bible that can be verified. RF has 101 Scientific Facts from the Bible. After reading facts stated in the Bible thousands of years before science verfied them I began to believe stronger and adopted the following philosophy : If the Bible is right about verifiable scientific facts thousands of years ago it's also right about the stuff you can't verify like salvation and eternal life.
I guess I had to verify what I could before accepting as truth what couldn't be verified. Now I accept without question cocncepts like rapture, reanimation, and the second coming. That`s how a natural skeptic like me accepts supernatural concepts.

RATHER

I was
S
Your response is wonderful. It is so wonderful I had to share it with a couple of Christian co-workers yesterday...and I will continue to repeat what you said because it is a great way for other Christians to realize not everything can be verified but since what can be verified checks out to be true, we can have all the more confidence in those areas that we cannot verify this side of eternity.
God bless you Endangered for posting this wise Berean response.
Brother Albert

Last edited:

Len

Yes I am guilty of plagiarising your response as well Endagered and I even posted it on my facebook page along with a link about science and the bible ...... though I remember reading the bible for the first time after hearing God's call and coming across the age of Methuselah and thinking how impossible that was to me, then saying to myself if you dont accept this as fact why bother with any of it? and that was my stance from then on ......... and occasionally when I am witnessing to unbelievers I am listening to what I am saying and realise how wild some of the ideas are (rapture, mark of the beast etc) but realise I believe it or I wouldn't be spouting it .....

(Berea - Acts 17:10-11)

My doubt is always resolved through His Word.

(KJV) Paul was inspired to teach us:
Rom 7:15 - For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16 - If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Is Paul teaching us that knowing what is wrong, is actually a witness to our faith? Is doubt a result of my inability to live a pure life which we know is impossible in the flesh? Doubt is a tool of the deceiver to silence the Gospel.

Rom 7:20 - Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:24 - O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 - I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Rom 9:32 - Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

In Psalms we read of the "rod and staff" that "comforts." I think about this verse a lot. With a staff, a shepherd gently leads but when the sheep continues wayward, the rod does the job. By His grace, I yearn to follow Him more closely. I don't do this to earn my way into heaven, although there is a heavy dose of fear involved. I want to be righteous because it's in Him where I find perfect peace, however, my righteousness is worthless and counts for nothing. Only my belief in Him and salvation through faith by His grace is sufficient.
Psa 23:4 - Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Last edited:

Andy C

Thank God that His bible has many verses attesting to assurance of salvation. For me, there are very brief moments of doubt, but I quickly dismiss them as I know the scriptures that support OSAS. IMO, with all the evil distractions in the world, its easy to momentarily get caught up in life here in this sin infested world, and this can cause us to lose confidence on that assurance. Emotionally, I may not always feel that assurance. However, living by Faith in what He told us, I know that assurance is there, because by believing in Jesus as my Savior, Im a child of God.