Asbury "Revival"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Perhaps is more our hope and prayer than our actual perception.

Revival starts with God.
If man is unresponsive whether returning to the roots of our faith, or finding it for the first time, it's still about God moving.

Unfortunately, revivals aren't about how it starts, its about it's lasting effects.

Yet even for a few, God would relent.
I expect we'll know soon if we are living in a condemned Sodom.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I'm kind of curious about how we define what a 'revival' actually is. It seems to be somewhat all over the place in this thread. I don't have the impression that any of us really disagree much about the cautionary nature that this 'news' should be approached with or that there's much disparity on how we look at the exciting possibilities, IF this is a true revival.

I reiterate, what exactly is a revival and how would we define it? Is it even possible for a group like us, here at RF to even come to consensus about it? And would a revival today necessarily look like a revival from the past?

Andy Woods like to state that, "God is a God of diversity." (or something along those lines). I agree with that and I wonder if maybe the analogue for what constitutes revival is either static by historical definition or rather something that's dynamic in nature, adaptive to the times and people. I lean towards a dynamic definition as long as it's Christ focused and Bible-centric.

I can't fathom any current day 'revival' equaling anything like what I've read from historic accounts. I'm thinking along the lines of Jonathan Edwards and the awakening stemming from his sermon, "Sinners in the hands of an angry God", and how it swept much of society and had major social impacts and effects. I don't believe for a second that anyone is going to make america great again. I truly believe that we are circling the drain and deservedly so. I hope I'm wrong and will happily eat the crow (lots of BBQ sauce) if time and circumstance prove me wrong.

So, maybe revival in our current days that so much resemble what we know of the days of Lot and Noah is something different? Maybe it's something about lives being won for eternity more than society being changed for posterity?

I dunno, help me muddle through this, please.
What the Bible descibes that takes place in Israel during the Tribulation , is a revival , or the next one.

Zechariah 12:10 as well as many other verses.
They will be revived.
They will see.

Last edited:

soundingthealarm

Just adding this as a general comment not specifically to Asbury but just the last quarter century if not longer.....MUSIC has been a bridge to ecumenical compromise for quite some time and not just ecumenically but in doctrinal compromise of the worst kind.

No greater example than Jesus Culture. The fact it gets played on "Christian" radio or air play of any kind shows the depth of compromise that is out there! They of Bethel Church in Redding California boastfully tout that Jesus had to be "born again" and practice "tattoo reading" and "grave soaking" ....it is a CULT and NOT a church and the same could be said for many other movements in the WEST...IE IHOP (international house of prayer) where they boast of 24/7 prayer meetings where people "soak" in the presence of God.

I could write a book and one of the common apologist type of lines is "don't throw out the baby with the bath water" or "I'm wise enough to pick out the bones."

Jesus warned "many will come in my name to deceive" and "Churches" in His name and "Bookstores" in His Name and "Conferences" IE Passion Conferences in His name etc etc etc....have been used mightily to deceive on a massive level. Mardi Gras is going on, I have led a mission team to Mardi Gras and led people to the Lord at Mardi Gras which is a "religious" festival at its founding but I sure wouldn't encourage people to go to Mardi Gras to "experience" God.

Its a time to vet everything, being as the Bereans and taking heed.

We have been inundated with the "seeker friendly" movement in the West and yet scripture says "no one seeks God, no not one." America's pastor fleeced gazillions with "purpose driven" when the Bible says to NOT be purpose driven but to be Spirit led. Mass deception isn't coming ...it has been happening and music, which seems to be a hallmark of Asbury, again has been used mightily to disarm many!!!

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Just adding this as a general comment not specifically to Asbury but just the last quarter century if not longer.....MUSIC has been a bridge to ecumenical compromise for quite some time and not just ecumenically but in doctrinal compromise of the worst kind.

No greater example than Jesus Culture. The fact it gets played on "Christian" radio or air play of any kind shows the depth of compromise that is out there! They of Bethel Church in Redding California boastfully tout that Jesus had to be "born again" and practice "tattoo reading" and "grave soaking" ....it is a CULT and NOT a church and the same could be said for many other movements in the WEST...IE IHOP (international house of prayer) where they boast of 24/7 prayer meetings where people "soak" in the presence of God.

I could write a book and one of the common apologist type of lines is "don't throw out the baby with the bath water" or "I'm wise enough to pick out the bones."

Jesus warned "many will come in my name to deceive" and "Churches" in His name and "Bookstores" in His Name and "Conferences" IE Passion Conferences in His name etc etc etc....have been used mightily to deceive on a massive level. Mardi Gras is going on, I have led a mission team to Mardi Gras and led people to the Lord at Mardi Gras which is a "religious" festival at its founding but I sure wouldn't encourage people to go to Mardi Gras to "experience" God.

Its a time to vet everything, being as the Bereans and taking heed.

We have been inundated with the "seeker friendly" movement in the West and yet scripture says "no one seeks God, no not one." America's pastor fleeced gazillions with "purpose driven" when the Bible says to NOT be purpose driven but to be Spirit led. Mass deception isn't coming ...it has been happening and music, which seems to be a hallmark of Asbury, again has been used mightily to disarm many!!!
:agree

Reading through this thread I am reminded of Matthew 6:33 - Seek the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and everything will be added to you.

If this is a revival or not, I have no idea. I know the wolves are prowling around it. Can we even have a movement of God nowadays without some of these Profits showing up? :mope

But God knows who is really seeking Him or something else. I pray there are many truly seeking Jesus for salvation. Or just to even know if He is real or not. He will answer and reveal Himself in His way if you are truly seeking. Only God knows.

Kelpe

Might we balance that question by adding, while at the same time, thousands are drawn into deception or false conversions and drawn away from the Bible?
Interestingly . . .
Today Michael Aper, a theological student at Asbury, was interviewed by Charlie Kirk just now. I highly encourage a listen. He said people are repenting, praying, seeing healing, freedom from addictions. He said people are coming there to experience the service/worship so they can take it home to their church. It has spread to 22 other colleges. They are not allowing anyone with a "big name" to speak or do worship, including Tucker Carlson (who wanted to come there to interview people) because it isn't a show and they don't want anyone on a pedestal other than "Jesus Christ".

I've seen people come to church, be involved 24/7 and burn out or disappear after a time. Same with happen with some of the people at this college and others, but again, I am hoping and praying that God will move among our young people, change hearts and lives. Our nation certainly needs it.

Jan51

If someone can be drawn away by song and praise then I’d wonder if their salvation was for real. We all just need to be in prayer.
As I stated earlier, I don't think "revival" is a biblical concept, but those who do usually point to Josiah as an example, II Kings 22-23. God's Word was rediscovered and read to the people and they made a covenant to obey God. They did not spend days praying and singing gushy songs, but they changed what they did. Many churches and denominations put emotional experience first, which is what I have seen so far. Many of these type churches actually criticize and ridicule those who would put the Bible first.

Yes, people can indeed be drawn away by "song and praise." And more is required of us than just prayer. We are to exercise discernment and be on guard against false teachers. Remember that Satan appears as an angel of light.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
David wrote songs and was a man after God's heart.

Without a doubt music can influence either way, but even the Apostles sang songs.

Getting back to one's First love is important. I pray many that hear God's Word remember where they came from, and where they are to be going.

It's never about taking back America,

It's about giving our lives to Christ, that we may truly live.

And sometimes the saved need a reminder of Who they gave the title to.

glc11

Interestingly . . .
Today Michael Aper, a theological student at Asbury, was interviewed by Charlie Kirk just now. I highly encourage a listen. He said people are repenting, praying, seeing healing, freedom from addictions. He said people are coming there to experience the service/worship so they can take it home to their church. It has spread to 22 other colleges. They are not allowing anyone with a "big name" to speak or do worship, including Tucker Carlson (who wanted to come there to interview people) because it isn't a show and they don't want anyone on a pedestal other than "Jesus Christ".

I've seen people come to church, be involved 24/7 and burn out or disappear after a time. Same with happen with some of the people at this college and others, but again, I am hoping and praying that God will move among our young people, change hearts and lives. Our nation certainly needs it.
Thanks for posting. I saw another interview last night from a Turning Point USA student at Asbury (part of Charlie Kirk’s organization )

As one who still has wounds from years attending A judgmental, legalistic church who would cause people to doubt their own salvation, I don’t want to judge this scene at Asbury. I pray it’s truly turning people to God and salvation. My old church would always say “well, let’s see your fruit to believe you are saved”

So I am sensitive to casting too much judgement . I love reading the updates about this event.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
David wrote songs and was a man after God's heart.

Without a doubt music can influence either way, but even the Apostles sang songs.

Getting back to one's First love is important. I pray many that hear God's Word remember where they came from, and where they are to be going.

It's never about taking back America,

It's about giving our lives to Christ, that we may truly live.

And sometimes the saved need a reminder of Who they gave the title to.
LOL don't forget Jesus sung a hymn too after his final supper !!!

Dave123

I will not speak against it, if God is doing something. Frankly, I am glad that young people are spending their evenings worshiping the Lord, even if it doesn't really qualify as a "revival." Doesn't mean that God is not doing something. I have been seeing so many young people buying into the woke garbage, that it is refreshing to see so many of them trying to get closer to the Lord.

Momma D

@Dave123
I am moved even more that this is crossing denominational lines into many colleges.
Anne Graham Lotz believes this is the last outpouring before the Lord returns.

Many of the new colleges are experiencing open repentance and turning to Jesus. Crying out to return to their first love, as this world has darkened hearts by the sinfulness of what is being thrown at all of us.
I will not speak against it either...let God be God.
If this is not a revival, it is at least a spiritual awakening.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I will not speak against it, if God is doing something. Frankly, I am glad that young people are spending their evenings worshiping the Lord, even if it doesn't really qualify as a "revival." Doesn't mean that God is not doing something. I have been seeing so many young people buying into the woke garbage, that it is refreshing to see so many of them trying to get closer to the Lord.

What a revival is or isn't, or whether or not this thing happening at Asbury is or isn't a revival is immaterial by my way of thinking. If people are praising God, praying, seeking Jesus... that's a good thing, no matter how we box that up or serve it.

Campuses as a whole have become cesspools of anti-Godliness. Hopefully many come to saving faith through God's grace.

glc11

What a revival is or isn't, or whether or not this thing happening at Asbury is or isn't a revival is immaterial by my way of thinking. If people are praising God, praying, seeking Jesus... that's a good thing, no matter how we box that up or serve it.

Campuses as a whole have become cesspools of anti-Godliness. Hopefully many come to saving faith through God's grace.
Exactly !!!

I am so excited to see this. I don’t want Into the analysis/paralysis trap and play “devils advocate “ and judge with raise eyebrows. This world is so evil!

I have 4 teens
One in college
3 in high school

That horridness we heard about at the Grammys was disgusting. This is leaps and bounds a Turning in The right direction for college college experiences

With these numbers, I am sure there are actions of true hearts repenting . I have seen a bit of the interviews myself.

glc11

Exactly !!!

I am so excited to see this. I don’t want Into the analysis/paralysis trap and play “devils advocate “ and judge with raise eyebrows. This world is so evil!

I have 4 teens
One in college
3 in high school

That horridness we heard about at the Grammys was disgusting. This is leaps and bounds a Turning in The right direction for college college experiences

With these numbers, I am sure there are actions of true hearts repenting . I have seen a bit of the interviews myself.
Oh gosh sorry for all those typos
I was cooking, talking with my teens and I need to take out these contacts that seem dirty (lol).

glc11

Also
I am normally not a big fan of shutting down a thread etc…. But I think in this case, I agree with Andy C and maybe this should be closed or even deleted.

The reason is because this thread could easily be googled and there are a lot of strong various opinions being stated that may not put our group in a fair light.

Most of us have been on here for years sharing our insights…. We get each other and appreciate what we all have to bring to our discussions.

I always am grateful to hear what you all have to say about false teachers etc..

I just think that we need to be careful here… like Andy Woods said… not pass judgment…. We don’t know!
and since this whole discussion is public and searchable… maybe we should cool it on this topic. We want to promote the gospel and not sound like we believe in only evidenced based salvation.

I don’t know . Maybe it’s just me
I’m just uncomfortable with how our tone appears in this whole thread.

If one of my teens went to that college…. Called me up all excited and sounded truthful of his repentance, understanding, gratefulness and displayed excitement about turning around his life…. I would be very very very offended by doubters.

Like my old church “well, let’s see the fruit first.”

I know it’s not everyone here. And even some of the ones questioning….. I truly respect a lot of what they have shared on other topics!!!! So I am not trying to be rude. I just have a genuine concern about this thread overall since it has searchable key words. Anyone can find our threads.

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
What do they mean recently when they said they decided to “stop the revival”?

Men can stop men. But men can't stop God. If the "revival" is truly from God, then men won't be able to stop it. I think people should think about that when they wonder if this is from God. I won't say either way on this Asbury thing, but their are enough red flags to make you go :hmmm

People like experiences, emotions, and feelings. But in the end times the Bible warns us:

“The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons” (1 Timothy 4:1).

My advice is to question everything and hold fast to what is good. Search the scriptures like the Bereans to see if it is true. JMHO. :pray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back