Are you a person after God's own heart?

Pat

WHAT mATTERS? DAVID: A Man After God’s Own Heart​

Abraham, Job, and David stand out as significant and influential characters of the Old Testament Scriptures. All three have a common attribute that God endows, reveals, and develops, without which, salvation cannot come. Do you know what it is? The answer is FAITH, and that is unquestionably the truth, for we are told from scripture, “But without faith it is impossible to please him:” Hebrews 11:6 But before one receives salvation by faith, he must face the truth of his own spiritual condition by faith too. That spiritual condition is revealed to us by David in Psalm 51 when he recognized and acknowledged the depravity of his self-serving heart. David’s prior justification of his actions collapsed under the scrutiny of God’s perfect requirements revealed by His law. Before the faith that delivers forgiveness and salvation, one must come to the faith that agrees with what God says is seeded from conception in the heart of man, which is Adam’s sinful nature. We have all been born spiritually dead in Adam and as a result we prove it by committing sins. “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:” and “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God;” Romans 3:10,23 When once we acknowledge that fact, we will agree with David, offering the only thing we have left, humble confession. “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.” Psalm 51:17 This is the heart that David is known for, and the kind of heart God is looking for, “I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart,” Acts 13:22 It was David’s broken heart and acknowledgement of his sin and sins against God that God was after, not David’s religious deeds. David prayed in Psalm 139, “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me and lead me in the way everlasting.” Psalm 139:23-24

These three renowned men, Abraham, Job, and David, all had tremendous victories, failures, and eventual lives of great faith, but before receiving forgiveness and eternal life, they revealed their broken and contrite status before the Almighty Holy God. It is the spiritual place every man must come to before being born again. Justifying our sins and trying to do the best we can is not an adequate excuse that can replace our faith in the work of Jesus dying for our sin and sins at the cross, paying for them by His death, proving his death in the grave, then raising victorious over death three days later by His resurrection. As we are all dead in Adam, the remedy from God is when we are taken out of Adam and placed in Christ. It is there that we receive His life and perfect righteousness. What matters is, have you come to the place of total honesty, having a broken and contrite heart before Him, then asked Him to make you a new creation? Believe Jesus. “Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.” John 3:7