Are We Like the Bereans?

PhilR

Since I have been here on RF I have often read the accolades of well known Bible teachers, particularly of Andy Woods. I just want to say that as Bible believing Christians we can listen to and read what these teachers have to say, but we need to remember to see if their teachings line up with what the Bible, the word of God says. (Acts 17:10-11). In posting this, I hope we as believers are like the Bereans.
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to put down Andy Woods. I enjoy his videos and reading what he has to say.

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
Yes, following someone, anyone, lockstep is a dangerous path to follow.

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (Act 17:11)

These Bereans tested even what the Apostles were teaching against Scripture and were called 'more noble' for it.

Last edited:

Blue Sky

In my opinion, it's just as egregious for a conservative to parrot a conservative scholar as it is for a reformed advocate to parrot a reformed scholar. If people would spend just a little time reading the Bible for themselves, I believe it would clear up a lot of confusion amongst the brethren.