Are there carnal Christians?

lamonte

It is one thing to make a decision for Christ in the warm emotion of a mass evangelistic rally or at Church. But it is quite another thing to deny one’s self, and take up the cross daily, and follow Christ. Although it costs nothing to become a Christian, it costs plenty to be a consistent believer walking in a path of sacrifice, separation and suffering for Christ’s sake. It is one thing to begin the Christian race well, but it is quite another thing to slug it out, day after day, through fair weather and foul, through prosperity and adversity, through joy and through grief.

A critical world is watching.
By some strange instinct, it realizes that the Christian life deserves everything or nothing. When it sees an out-and-out Christian, it may sneer, and scoff and ridicule—yet inwardly, it has deep respect for the man who recklessly abandons himself to Christ. But when it sees a half-hearted Christian, it has nothing but contempt. It begins to mock him, saying, “This man began to build, and was not able to finish. He made a big commotion when he was converted, but now he’s very much like the rest of us. He started out at high speed, but now he’s spinning his wheels.”

Rev 3:14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation. 15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Jojo4124

We are told in the Word not to judge the world, cuz sin is what they do. We are told to be wise and gentle. Humbly assist a brother who is in sin to stop. If they refuse to stop sinning, we hand them to God.

Discernment is important because we are warned about wolves who pretend to be sheep. God doesnt want sheep subjected to abuse and false doctrine. We ARE to discern if someone calls themself a Christ follower to see if they really are. Judgement n discernment are 2 different things, imho.

If there is zero humility and turning from sin consistently, then someone's claim to be a Christ follower is in question. We dont judge, but decide if such ppl could corrupt our morals if we hang out with them.

If someone claims to be a car mechanic, yet they consistently show you that they are not so, you turn away from them. Not judging them, but trusting your car care with someone who does what they say.

2 Tim 3 tells us to turn away from so-called believers who indulge in carnal lives with zero desire to change, let alone repent. If God leads us to ask someone to stop gossipping, for example, and they don't...then if we continue to listen to them gossip, we enable their sin. We also allow our hearts to be exposed to their sin.

By turning away from ppl who dont want to obey God, we allow God to work on them. Maybe lack of fellowship may cause them to talk to God about it, and God can correct them.

It's loving to cause ppl to seek God, if we disengage humbly n lovingly.

We also are told to guard our hearts. God doesnt want ppl who choose to embrace sin constantly to hurt our own faith. Boundaries...

Churches are supposed to not tolerate unrepented of sin. Biblically, if sinners dont repent after a couple of humble confrontations, the church is supposed to kick them out so that hopefully they'll get right with God and obey how He tells us to live. Churches generally dont do this, I have always wondered why. I also wonder if enabling ppl in the Church to keep sinning prevents God from blessing the Church more with healings n miracles etc like Jesus did often n freely?

The worst is when pastors n counselors tell ppl to stay in an abusive relationship. Why not ask the abused to seperate from abuse? Staying in it often enables the abuse. Sadly, if pastors n other Christians havent gone through abuse and other things, they dont understand the dynamics of it. Kind of like going to a RCC priest for marriage advice ... ;)

Back