Are the "Jezebels" of life keeping us from hearing God's still small voice?

Pat

WHAT mATTERS? A STILL SMALL VOICE​

I’ve been consumed for over a week with some unexpected and unusual aftereffects of the coronavirus. I’ve had trouble sleeping, experienced painful swelling and gout-like immobility in hands and feet and then sudden, extremely high blood pressure. Finding myself not wanting to die yet, I prayed to God asking for His mercy and then reminded Him that I still had a lot of work to do for Him here. What I heard Him say to me (in my spirit) was something like, “If I want you home, that’s my business. Get your eyes off yourself and your circumstances. This is just something you must go through for now. In the meantime, trust me, and listen for my “still small voice.” Having been gently rebuked for my lack of trust and my arrogance, I was reminded of someone in the Old Testament who felt sorry for himself like I was feeling and relied on circumstances instead of the living God. He too feared for his life instead of listening for a “still small voice.” 1Kings 19:12

Elijah had just been used powerfully by God to prove that Jehovah God was more powerful than Ahab and Jezebel’s 850 Baal and idol worshipping false prophets. After proving them and their gods helpless against the true God, he slayed them all, and then prayed the famous “effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much” mentioned in James 5:16-18 that ended 3 1/2 years of drought. Then, something changed in Elijah when he received a message from Jezebel that she was going to kill him. Fearing her threats more than God’s protection, Elijah fled. He let circumstances rule him instead of recognizing God’s sovereignty in the situation. While hiding under a Juniper tree waiting to die, the Lord ministered to him with super-natural food and strength and took him to a cave of instruction. There, God allowed three horrific events to occur: Hurricane winds, a devastating earthquake, and a consuming wildfire. God was not speaking nor revealing His will to Elijah in those circumstantial events, but He allowed them so that Elijah would pay attention and listen for God’s Word. Not in any circumstances that life brings, but in a “still, small voice.” About 850 years later, Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” John10:27

The lesson I am learning is that I shouldn’t let pandemics, sicknesses, politics, wars, nor any other circumstance of life (including "Jezebels") distract me from hearing God’s “still small voice.” That voice becomes louder and more prominent than the affairs of this life when my focus changes from self to Him. It wasn’t easy for Elijah to hear that God had 7,000 other faithful prophets in Israel besides himself. Elijah was thinking more highly of himself than he should have. What matters is, are we doing the same? It is better to heed the admonition, “Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and He shall lift you up” James 4:10 As of today, the swelling and pain are gone in my hands and feet, my blood pressure is normal, and I had a good night’s sleep. God is so good and faithful. “Praise ye the Lord” Psalm 100, 117

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Your post really resonated with me Pat, i guess the Lord game me a trial on patience (which i failed abysmally) in relation to my internet network and speed being down for a couple of days and i was getting really frustrated.

My prayer for this to get fixed was eventually answered but reading your post gave a lot of perspective and really calmed my frustrations down so thank you for posting that.

Pat

Your post really resonated with me Pat, i guess the Lord game me a trial on patience (which i failed abysmally) in relation to my internet network and speed being down for a couple of days and i was getting really frustrated.

My prayer for this to get fixed was eventually answered but reading your post gave a lot of perspective and really calmed my frustrations down so thank you for posting that.
It's where our focus is, that is important. Philippians 2 draws me back into perspective. Jesus esteemed others better than Himself...enough to die for us. It is hard for me to wrap my head around. It keeps me humble. Blessings brother.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Thank you Pat for this encouraging and strengthening post. I'm so glad you listen to God. :nod I appreciate your faithful heart for Him.

It's those faithful people in the Lord in my life that brought such life changing impact for me. I know there's people God is using you to impact as well.

And, I'm sorry for this illness that you've wrestled with. It can be hard in such times to keep eyes on God, especially in times that can seem hopeless (from the human perspective). But as you wonderfully shared, God is always with us to guide as we listen.

I'll certainly continue praying for your complete healing and the Lord's encouraging strength for you. And others who are struggling in the same way you have.

God Bless.

:pray

daygo

WHAT mATTERS? A STILL SMALL VOICE​

I’ve been consumed for over a week with some unexpected and unusual aftereffects of the coronavirus. I’ve had trouble sleeping, experienced painful swelling and gout-like immobility in hands and feet and then sudden, extremely high blood pressure. Finding myself not wanting to die yet, I prayed to God asking for His mercy and then reminded Him that I still had a lot of work to do for Him here. What I heard Him say to me (in my spirit) was something like, “If I want you home, that’s my business. Get your eyes off yourself and your circumstances. This is just something you must go through for now. In the meantime, trust me, and listen for my “still small voice.” Having been gently rebuked for my lack of trust and my arrogance, I was reminded of someone in the Old Testament who felt sorry for himself like I was feeling and relied on circumstances instead of the living God. He too feared for his life instead of listening for a “still small voice.” 1Kings 19:12

Elijah had just been used powerfully by God to prove that Jehovah God was more powerful than Ahab and Jezebel’s 850 Baal and idol worshipping false prophets. After proving them and their gods helpless against the true God, he slayed them all, and then prayed the famous “effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much” mentioned in James 5:16-18 that ended 3 1/2 years of drought. Then, something changed in Elijah when he received a message from Jezebel that she was going to kill him. Fearing her threats more than God’s protection, Elijah fled. He let circumstances rule him instead of recognizing God’s sovereignty in the situation. While hiding under a Juniper tree waiting to die, the Lord ministered to him with super-natural food and strength and took him to a cave of instruction. There, God allowed three horrific events to occur: Hurricane winds, a devastating earthquake, and a consuming wildfire. God was not speaking nor revealing His will to Elijah in those circumstantial events, but He allowed them so that Elijah would pay attention and listen for God’s Word. Not in any circumstances that life brings, but in a “still, small voice.” About 850 years later, Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” John10:27

The lesson I am learning is that I shouldn’t let pandemics, sicknesses, politics, wars, nor any other circumstance of life (including "Jezebels") distract me from hearing God’s “still small voice.” That voice becomes louder and more prominent than the affairs of this life when my focus changes from self to Him. It wasn’t easy for Elijah to hear that God had 7,000 other faithful prophets in Israel besides himself. Elijah was thinking more highly of himself than he should have. What matters is, are we doing the same? It is better to heed the admonition, “Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and He shall lift you up” James 4:10 As of today, the swelling and pain are gone in my hands and feet, my blood pressure is normal, and I had a good night’s sleep. God is so good and faithful. “Praise ye the Lord” Psalm 100, 117
Good one.