Are books like 23 minutes in hell biblical?

Neonap

While I do not pay attention to supposed near death experiences or visions, the harrowing account of Bill Wiese's hell experience has always stayed stuck with me ever since I had come across it back in 8th grade. While he seems sincere, his experience raises some red flags such as demons torturing him in hell. Demons are actually terrified of hell evidenced by this verse.

Jesus asked him, saying, “What is your name?”

And he said, “Legion,” because many demons had entered him. And they begged Him that He would not command them to go out into the abyss. Luke 8 30-31

I truly do believe that hell does exist and it's horrible beyond our understanding or imagination, but I don't believe that people have gone there and lived to tell what they saw. The rich man in hell desired to warn his brothers and yet he was not granted the chance to.

What do you guys think?

Neonap

No if you don't see it in the :bibleit isn't true. We must not be deceived by the nonsense of the world!

Indeed. The story of The rich man and Lazarus is the closest literal description of hell/hades in the bible, I don't see anywhere in that account where demons are torturing the rich man. I think many have a inaccurate view on hell that is close to Dante's inferno than what God's Word says about it.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Indeed. The story of The rich man and Lazarus is the closest literal description of hell/hades in the bible, I don't see anywhere in that account where demons are torturing the rich man. I think many have a inaccurate view on hell that is close to Dante's inferno than what God's Word says about it.
There are a lot of stories about visits to heaven where people claim they died, and came back to earth. I don't see this in the :bibleanywhere. The truth is Hebrews 9:27 it is appointed unto man once to die, and after this the judgment.

Neonap

There are a lot of stories about visits to heaven where people claim they died, and came back to earth. I don't see this in the :bibleanywhere. The truth is Hebrews 9:27 it is appointed unto man once to die, and after this the judgment.

I have never brought into the going to heaven and back stories because of this verse.

1 Corinthians 2:9

I think many of these "near death experiences" or visions are either demonic in nature or a really bad dream.

Psalm37v4

Hated and laughed at by the world but loved by God
God is not giving free sneak peaks into heaven or hell. Paul was the only one who got to see heaven, and even he could not describe what he saw. I’ve had people tell me they “knew” they went to heaven And came back.
Seems like there are a lot of near death experiences lately. If it doesn’t line up with scripture, (And none of them do), dismiss it.

Psalm37v4

I have never brought into the going to heaven and back stories because of this verse.

1 Corinthians 2:9

I think many of these "near death experiences" or visions are either demonic in nature or a really bad dream.
That’s what I think too. I had someone try to convince me they had a near death experience and went to heaven. I can’t make people understand that God wouldn’t give anyone sneak peaks into heaven or hell. And any believer who claims God took them to hell to warn others is full of it.

I also wouldn’t put any stock in documentaries or special programs like “Lazarus phenomenon”… Those experiences are unbiblical and so full of holes. I was duped by it many years ago. But God showed me the truth.

Neonap

That’s what I think too. I had someone try to convince me they had a near death experience and went to heaven. I can’t make people understand that God wouldn’t give anyone sneak peaks into heaven or hell. And any believer who claims God took them to hell to warn others is full of it.

The only time I had a hellish experience was when I had awoken from a really bad nightmare of a pizza monster chasing me.

Most, if not all of the dreams or visions that people have of hell or heaven are very out there or inspired by catholic images of hell. Another factor that makes me suspect that these experiences are not legit is due to that fact that some make books and make a profit of their so called "experiences"... Like Bill Wiese who wrote 4 books about hell, Q and A's about hell etc etc.

Andy C

Agree. Many of these claims, the people might actually believe happened to them, but we know, they’re all false. Either they make them up for profit, or they cant tell when a demon inspired dream happened.

Neonap

Agree. Many of these claims, the people might actually believe happened to them, but we know, they’re all false. Either they make them up for profit, or they cant tell when a demon inspired dream happened.

I remember when I was about 12 or 11, I had a very vivid dream that I remember to this day. In the dream, I remember I was being cast into some dark place, into a lake which was set on fire. I believe that dream had shaken me to my very core at that time. Of course, I was unsaved at that time and was worshipping Satan..

Back then I could have easily believed that I actually went to hell/the lake of fire and had gone on, telling people that I had a dream from God that I had actually went to hell. I think most of the people who claim to have visited heaven or hell, probably believe it was from God but lack discernment.

Others have bad intentions and seek to make a buck by selling people lies about their out of this world experience.

Last edited:

Psalm37v4

I can remember when "Beyond And Back" was all the rage in cinemas. I remember watching it a few times as a teenager and believing they went to heaven.
I find it hard to believe when ppl's hearts stop beating, and then they're successfully resuscitated, when they claim they saw a bright light (or something similar), that they actually went to heaven briefly. I don't see any biblical support for it.

Neonap

I can remember when "Beyond And Back" was all the rage in cinemas. I remember watching it a few times as a teenager and believing they went to heaven.
I find it hard to believe when ppl's hearts stop beating, and then they're successfully resuscitated, when they claim they saw a bright light (or something similar), that they actually went to heaven briefly. I don't see any biblical support for it.

Yeah I remember as a teenager looking into NDE's, and eventually I stumbled upon 23 minutes in hell which scared the living daylights out of me. I must say that it made me think of the seriousness of hell and eternity. Although I do not believe Bill Wiese went to hell, I respect how he sticks to the fact that it's a real literal horrible place.

Unfortunately many churches downplay the reality of hell or deny it altogether.

Batman

It is very important to not get swayed into the "I went to Heaven" outbreaks of the past 30 to 50 years but when people do get pulled into it they need to do some serious research of every word, thought, and image that supposedly happened b/c they will find that unbiblical things are mentioned over and over. In the end it is also very important to remember that very few men have words of testimony in the Bible for confirmed Heavenly visitations so it is quite exclusive and the modern snake oil salesmen types and others saying it has happened to them are largely just for fame and fortune. It's really very sad that the Bible is not the lone source on Heaven.

Jonathan

I have no idea if they are "biblical" (you would have to refine that definition), but as far as I am concerned, they provide absolutely no real insight, at least not to me. I am not saying that the people who tell their stories via books of this kind of lying, but it is anecdotal and therefore not real evidence. The human psyche can experience all kinds of things, especially during physical trauma as well as under the medication used when being treated in an Emergency Room or ICU unit.

Dreams can also become VERY vivid for some people, especially under certain situations.

Also, small children are notorious for being suggestable when prompted by someone who is also "leading" or "guiding" them to a desired conclusion of what they experienced.)

Am I saying that that none of these people might have experienced the REAL THING? Well, strictly speaking, no. While II allow for the possibility that something like that could happen., i sincerely doubt it in all cases.

SkyRider

Terry James of Rapture Ready claims he had a couple of visions of what he thought was Heaven, when he flatlined a couple of times on the operating table, if I remember his account accurately. . He said he saw a bunch of young people expressing ultimate joy of being there. No visions of God the Father or Jesus, but these young people overjoyed. Again, I hope I'm retelling it correctly. I've heard him talk of that a couple of times. I don't know if I can totally discount any claims like that. A brief glimpse or two, or maybe just a dream? Even Paul, when given visions of Heaven, couldn't tell if he was there in spirit only or in the flesh. Whether in the body or out of the body, he didn't know.

Back