Archaeologists find dance floor where John the Baptist was condemned

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Archaeologists find dance floor where John the Baptist was condemned
Josephus said that the assassination was carried out at Machaerus, a fort near the Dead Sea in what is now part of Jordan.
By HANNAH BROWN
JANUARY 6, 2021

In an article in Live Science, Owen Jarus reports that archaeologists believe they have figured out the location of the dance floor where John the Baptist, the preacher who predicted the coming of Jesus, was sentenced to death in around 29 CE, after a sensuous dance was performed by Salome, which sealed his unhappy fate. According to the biblical story and the account by the ancient historian Flavius Josephus (37-100 CE), King Herod Antipas, one of the sons of King Herod, ordered the execution of John the Baptist. Josephus said that the assassination was carried out at Machaerus, a fort near the Dead Sea in modern-day Jordan.

Herod Antipas wanted to curb the influence of John the Baptist and had him killed, according to Josephus. The Bible tells a more sensational tale, saying that Herod Antipas was going to marry a woman named Herodias, and that both members of the couple were divorced, which John the Baptist thought was immoral. During Herod Antipas’s birthday party, in the biblical account, Salome, the daughter of Herodias, danced for Herod Antipas, which pleased the king, who promised her anything she wanted. At her mother’s urging, Salome requested John the Baptist’s head, which she eventually received on a platter.

more............. https://www.jpost.com/archaeology/a...r-where-john-the-baptist-was-condemned-654474

Batman

And this is why Baptists don't approve of dancing.
Baptists would probably be more apt to approve of dancing if the dancers "could hold a tune with their feet". Most Baptists I've ever seen dance look pretty lame! In the MK we obviously won't have a sin nature so breaking any dance move rules would not be a problem..............so I hope many moves I've seen by the best dancers (Astaire first, everyone else next) are able to be performed b/c I would love to do them now that I have that perfect skill (or at least I hope I will).

Wings Like Eagles

Baptists would probably be more apt to approve of dancing if the dancers "could hold a tune with their feet". Most Baptists I've ever seen dance look pretty lame! In the MK we obviously won't have a sin nature so breaking any dance move rules would not be a problem..............so I hope many moves I've seen by the best dancers (Astaire first, everyone else next) are able to be performed b/c I would love to do them now that I have that perfect skill (or at least I hope I will).
Hey--are you saying that we Baptists dance like this: :pink:mousedance (I can confirm.) :jazzercise

Back