Apologetic Bullet Point #12

DanLMP

God is the only being who exists with all of the “omni” qualities

Explanation:

This is a restatement of the phrase that there is only one God.

God is omnipresent (everywhere), omniscient (all knowing), omnipotent (all powerful) and whatever other “omni” you can think of.

The statement that God is omnipresent or everywhere is not a statement to say that God is “in” everything. God is a distinct and separate being from His creation. God’s creation is a lesser reflection of God and God can’t be restrained or contained within creation’s limits.

To say that God is everywhere and all-knowing is a restatement of the idea that God is timeless. Since God exists outside of time, He is able to see everything, everywhere, within time and throughout all time that occurs.

Since God put all of the knowledge that exists within His created universe in place, and since mankind’s knowledge can’t exceed God’s knowledge, from mankind’s perspective at least, God is all knowing.

Since God put all of the available energy that exists within His created universe in place, from mankind’s perspective at least, God is all powerful.

To have more than one initial creative being in existence, both with the same and exactly equal properties and characteristics is illogical and redundant.

Cross Talk

I don't believe God is inherently everywhere. His knowledge is though. If He were everywhere (pantheism) then He wouldn't be holy (separate). If God is everywhere then he inhabits unbelievers and animals too. He is in Heaven.

A lot of people site the poetic Psalm 139:8. Prov. 15:3 explains this:

The eyes of the Lord are in every place,
Keeping watch on the evil and the good.

The Lord looks from heaven;
He sees all the sons of men.
From the place of His dwelling He looks
On all the inhabitants of the earth; Ps. 133:13-14

God is in Heaven, not everywhere. This is very plain in Scripture.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I don't believe God is inherently everywhere. His knowledge is though. If He were everywhere (pantheism) then He wouldn't be holy (separate). If God is everywhere then he inhabits unbelievers and animals too. He is in Heaven.

A lot of people site the poetic Psalm 139:8. Prov. 15:3 explains this:

The eyes of the Lord are in every place,
Keeping watch on the evil and the good.

The Lord looks from heaven;
He sees all the sons of men.
From the place of His dwelling He looks
On all the inhabitants of the earth; Ps. 133:13-14

God is in Heaven, not everywhere. This is very plain in Scripture.
So what is your definition of how God is omnipresent ?

DanLMP

I think that when we say that God is everywhere that that does not necessarily imply that He is "in" everything. To me it means that God is aware of all of the workings of His creation at all times. And since God is spirit this is easy for Him to do, not needing to split Himself up physically in order to be omnipresent.

He can reside in His spiritual realm and still be omnipresent in all of His creation.

Cross Talk

I think that when we say that God is everywhere that that does not necessarily imply that He is "in" everything. To me it means that God is aware of all of the workings of His creation at all times. And since God is spirit this is easy for Him to do, not needing to split Himself up physically in order to be omnipresent.

He can reside in His spiritual realm and still be omnipresent in all of His creation.
I'm fine with that, but omni means everywhere and in everything. I believe the same thing, but this attribute is covered in the term omniscience. There is no limit to omniscience or omnipotence. Not one iota...I prefer maybe ubiquitous as a term for His presence.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Holiness is to be sinless.

God is outside the realm of time and matter. The laws of physics (that He invented) don't apply to Him. This is why He can be everywhere at a single point in time.

Colossians 1:15-18 NLT — Christ is the visible image of the invisible God.
He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation, for through him God created everything
in the heavenly realms and on earth.
He made the things we can see
and the things we can’t see—
such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world.
Everything was created through him and for him. He existed before anything else,
and he holds all creation together. Christ is also the head of the church,
which is his body.
He is the beginning,
supreme over all who rise from the dead.
So he is first in everything.

Our finite minds cannot begin to comprehend these things.

DanLMP

I'm fine with that, but omni means everywhere and in everything. I believe the same thing, but this attribute is covered in the term omniscience. There is no limit to omniscience or omnipotence. Not one iota...I prefer maybe ubiquitous as a term for His presence.

Sounds like we are just talking semantics then.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
thanks for elaborating a bit more , i get now what you were originally trying to explain and agree

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Psalm 139 talks about God's presence being everywhere.

7Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? 8If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! 9If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, 10even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. 11If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,” 12even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.

And Jeremiah 23 has this to say:

23 “Am I a God at hand, declares the Lord, and not a God far away? 24 Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

I'll take that statement at face value and say God is everywhere. But God can also manifest Himself and His glory in a more concentrated manner like the burning bush or His glory that was in the Holy of Holies or the fire or cloud that was above the tabernacle. I'd say the seal of the Holy Spirit on believers and God dwelling in us is a similar concept.

So maybe that God is everywhere, but God is more dense in certain places? As a sort of analogy.

Back