Anyone want to help name some noise?

JSTyler

I posted about my particular personal situation in the prayer request forum, so I won't repeat the details here. I'm facing some serious additional hearing loss.

Before (or even if) that happens, I've been working on some "music" like a madman in my limited spare time. I like the one that follows in the link but it needs a title, and it's always more fun to have someone else lend ideas. The piece is short, 2:20 and orchestral/cinematic in nature, with no lyrics. I'm also open to constructive criticism, destructive too, for anyone that might bend that way. Feedback of any kind is fantastic. I do my best with the final mix but with limited hearing it's more a matter of dead-reckoning...

https://soundcloud.com/user-45351222/this-one

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I posted about my particular personal situation in the prayer request forum, so I won't repeat the details here. I'm facing some serious additional hearing loss.

Before (or even if) that happens, I've been working on some "music" like a madman in my limited spare time. I like the one that follows in the link but it needs a title, and it's always more fun to have someone else lend ideas. The piece is short, 2:20 and orchestral/cinematic in nature, with no lyrics. I'm also open to constructive criticism, destructive too, for anyone that might bend that way. Feedback of any kind is fantastic. I do my best with the final mix but with limited hearing it's more a matter of dead-reckoning...

Sounds like something that could be used for a nature thingee . . . birds hatching, flowers blooming, snow melting, brooks beginning to flow, etc. Especially as the sun rises and the temperature goes up and things get going.

Possible titles:
Spring Sunrise
Sunrise in Spring

sawas

Wow, I didn't expect that....really good. So, a few questions...how much of this is you (the engineer in me really wants to know, LOL). Are you personally playing any of the parts here or, rather, in the parlance of the modern era, "producing" the composition using pre-recorded loops and samples? No disrespect intended by that, btw. just recognizing how music is produced these days...all of which presents an enormous and rewarding challenge in of itself, fwiw. Hard to afford to keep orchestras hanging about to help us out. But, if you're personally playing the piano part, for instance, cudos on that particular talent. For the rest, at least, I'd assume construction from loops and/or midi-driven samples.

So, anyway, beyond all of that I love the "classical" sense of movement in the piece. Even when working on my own (very eclectic) instrumental pieces, I want just that sort movement to be present. Nothing against more traditional (popular, verse/chorus/verse) formats, which I also appreciate, but I find the classical form very compelling.

As to the mix, since we've talked about that a bit already, I'm still impressed. Nothing overtly suggesting that you're working with seriously sub-par components....which does suggest that better software, etc., would only contribute to the end product. I think you've got the gist of it at least. We can talk more about mixing techniques (a topic that I'm still hoping to master). My Nashville buddy always blows me away with his processes,

Thanks for sharing.

sawas

@JSTyler

Forgot two things...

A) Still bummed about the hearing loss issue and praying that you'll find relief.

B) The naming challenge of you thread title.......my impressions are hope, wonder, and the natural tension between patience and impatience (sort of reminds me of my dogs in their crates waiting for the next adventure to begin). All relevant and evocative for a Christian I would think. But, hey, I can't name songs worth a darn, sorry.

JSTyler

Wow, I didn't expect that....really good. So, a few questions...how much of this is you (the engineer in me really wants to know, LOL). Are you personally playing any of the parts here or, rather, in the parlance of the modern era, "producing" the composition using pre-recorded loops and samples? No disrespect intended by that, btw. just recognizing how music is produced these days...all of which presents an enormous and rewarding challenge in of itself, fwiw. Hard to afford to keep orchestras hanging about to help us out. But, if you're personally playing the piano part, for instance, cudos on that particular talent. For the rest, at least, I'd assume construction from loops and/or midi-driven samples.

So, anyway, beyond all of that I love the "classical" sense of movement in the piece. Even when working on my own (very eclectic) instrumental pieces, I want just that sort movement to be present. Nothing against more traditional (popular, verse/chorus/verse) formats, which I also appreciate, but I find the classical form very compelling.

As to the mix, since we've talked about that a bit already, I'm still impressed. Nothing overtly suggesting that you're working with seriously sub-par components....which does suggest that better software, etc., would only contribute to the end product. I think you've got the gist of it at least. We can talk more about mixing techniques (a topic that I'm still hoping to master). My Nashville buddy always blows me away with his processes,

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks!

90-95% professionally produced loops and I think a little of the playing is me,somewhat cleaned up, quantized and sequenced of course. I used to be able to play kinda-sorta okay but nothing like those piano runs. I definitely have to rely on the ability of others now which is crazy frustrating when I want more variance of something like a many measure arpeggio. My playing is typically background and always only simple chords. I guess that makes me a bit more of a producer but it's a good fit my limited playing abilities. There aren't any midi driven samples in that one, though I've been playing with them in other pieces. There's a really cool free tool, Labs by Spitfire audio that hands-in-gloves with most DAWS. The files are enormous but the samples are sublime and amazing. Did I mention that it's free? I'm just now beginning to write and perform with it. It's the type of tool that will put real playing power into my hands.

And I'm with you on style. I love all kinds of music (sans jazz, it's never clicked with me) but my heart resides in the classical-cinematic-orchestral with a really strong dose of instrumental post rock thrown in.

I'm playing with a weird conglomeration of riff-hop and synthwave right now. It's odd but it seems to work. I love non-traditional music.

JSTyler

@JSTyler

Forgot two things...

A) Still bummed about the hearing loss issue and praying that you'll find relief.

B) The naming challenge of you thread title.......my impressions are hope, wonder, and the natural tension between patience and impatience (sort of reminds me of my dogs in their crates waiting for the next adventure to begin). All relevant and evocative for a Christian I would think. But, hey, I can't name songs worth a darn, sorry.
Thanks! It's a bit devastating and daunting but there's quite a lot of hope with modern bone conduction alternatives. Tomorrow I will know a little more about the possibilities. I have a bone conduction stereo headset coming in the mail, if it works like the reviews claim, it will be amazing. It will also be the proving grounds for bone conduction hearing aids. If the one works, the other will. The trick is in whether I come away with sever nerve damage. When I wake from the surgery, if I can feel my face, I should be able to hear again, eventually.

No worries about the name. I wrote some and loved the naming process but it's more enjoyable to have input. I'm leaning on the idea of combining the ideas of @Ghoti Ichthus and @Footsteps and calling it something like Spring Dawn.

sawas

Thanks!

90-95% professionally produced loops and I think a little of the playing is me,somewhat cleaned up, quantized and sequenced of course. I used to be able to play kinda-sorta okay but nothing like those piano runs. I definitely have to rely on the ability of others now which is crazy frustrating when I want more variance of something like a many measure arpeggio. My playing is typically background and always only simple chords. I guess that makes me a bit more of a producer but it's a good fit my limited playing abilities. There aren't any midi driven samples in that one, though I've been playing with them in other pieces. There's a really cool free tool, Labs by Spitfire audio that hands-in-gloves with most DAWS. The files are enormous but the samples are sublime and amazing. Did I mention that it's free? I'm just now beginning to write and perform with it. It's the type of tool that will put real playing power into my hands.

And I'm with you on style. I love all kinds of music (sans jazz, it's never clicked with me) but my heart resides in the classical-cinematic-orchestral with a really strong dose of instrumental post rock thrown in.

I'm playing with a weird conglomeration of riff-hop and synthwave right now. It's odd but it seems to work. I love non-traditional music.
Well, shoot, I'm no drummer (or pianist, or violinist...), so if you need those instruments these days for something, you pretty much have to go in the box, as it were. And, truthfully, that's way more challenging than it might sound to the uninitiated. So, still, great job. And this Labs program (freeware no less :thumbup) I'll have to check it out.. Always on the hunt for good sample sets myself. Speaking of cinematic stuff, in particular, getting good sounding samples is a bugger, even for drum parts. The style blends you're talking about sound very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more.

JSTyler

I love the Sun in the tree photo, nice capture for someone.:)
We used to call that one the "lonely tree". It sat upon the edge of a farmed field and looked amazing in morning mist. Now it's got a lot of companions all around it. The field hasn't been farmed for over a decade. It's still identifiable as the same tree in the photo, however.

And full disclosure, the picture is a composite. The sky, clouds and sun were all "shop'd" into it. We'd be in a lot of trouble otherwise, that shot was taken facing cardinal north and we don't live in the antarctic.