Anyone tried keto diet?

Hidden

I'm considering going on Keto diet which is very low on fat and protein and heavy on fats. We, Asians tend to load up on carbs because rice used to be cheaper than other foods in the market. But carbs are generally harmful for the body because of insulin and blood sugar spikes. So it make sense to cut back on carbs and allow the body to use fats as fuel instead. What do you guys think?

Kem

Citizen
Yes! Have been doing keto more on than off for years. More and more research shows that the cholesterol that everyone worries about is nonsense and the real problem is insulin levels. Many more in this country and elsewhere are pre-diabetic and diabetic than are aware. Very low carb, high fat diet will correct the problem and save many lives if big pharm and big food industry didn't suppress the information. Sadly many people are firmly addicted to sweets, grain and the idea that taking medicine will fix everything.

The problem with high insulin, which is a response to sweets, grain and other carbs is that it is always followed by a drop in blood glucose causing hunger and more desire for sweets, followed by high insulin, followed by hunger....and on and on. Eventually the body's cells become resistant to the insulin and do not take in the glucose they need very easily. This contributes to dementia, cardiac disease and of course obesity as a person continues to get hungry frequently and often becomes obese. There is a strong correlation between obesity and cancer also.

bblnizflln

Revelation 18:2
Yes! Have been doing keto more on than off for years. More and more research shows that the cholesterol that everyone worries about is nonsense and the real problem is insulin levels. Many more in this country and elsewhere are pre-diabetic and diabetic than are aware. Very low carb, high fat diet will correct the problem and save many lives if big pharm and big food industry didn't suppress the information. Sadly many people are firmly addicted to sweets, grain and the idea that taking medicine will fix everything.

The problem with high insulin, which is a response to sweets, grain and other carbs is that it is always followed by a drop in blood glucose causing hunger and more desire for sweets, followed by high insulin, followed by hunger....and on and on. Eventually the body's cells become resistant to the insulin and do not take in the glucose they need very easily. This contributes to dementia, cardiac disease and of course obesity as a person continues to get hungry frequently and often becomes obese. There is a strong correlation between obesity and cancer also.
Well put Kem! I was addicted and always hungry. Could go to all you can eat buffet and be rummaging through the fridge 2 hours later. That's crazy!

Micki

MARANATHA!!
I’m obese and borderline diabetic. Back in January I went gluten free just to see what would happen. Based on the results I have to conclude I’m gluten sensitive. Gluten free foods are very high in carbs and I am borderline diabetic, so I started the Keto lifestyle about a month ago. So far I’ve lost some weight and a lot of inches! It’s just unbelievable how unhealthy the food pyramid really is!

Hidden

Sorry for the late reply. Your posts are so encouraging! Living alone here in Qatar I've gotten used to the instant quick fix lifestyle where I consume lots of processed foods and drinks which are loaded with sugar and carbs. And I've been seeing the negative effects not only on my weight but I experience foggy mind and I'm just generally tired all the time. It is definitely by God's grace that I've discovered Keto diet while watching YouTube. It really makes a lot of sense. Sugar and unhealthy carbs are the enemies of the body and I suspect they were part of the corruption that occurred when the world fell into sin thousands of years ago. I've started easing up on carbs although I haven't let go of banana as I like to consume my avocado sweet and having banana on it does the trick. However I will look for alternative sweetener and hopefully totally eliminate carbs and sugar from my diet.

Kem

Citizen
It really is best to eliminate all sweeteners from the diet except perhaps for a spoon full of raw honey now and then. Artificial sweeteners are so bad for the health as to be worse than sugar. Not only will they damage the nervous system, they still trigger an insulin response in the body. You might try a little stevia just until you can completely let go of any kind of sweetener.

Andy C

There certainly are pros and cons for this extreme diet. For me personally, no way would I try this. Others of course have different opinions , so if it works for you, and your aware of the possible complications with this diet, go for it. I definitely believe we should all reduce carbs, but for someone who is able to do a lot of high cardio workouts, this may become an issue.

Throughout my life I have experimented with different diets/eating habits. Most I found too extreme and hard to follow. What I found to work best for ME is eat what I want, but be smart about it, limit junk food (but not totally eliminate), eat smaller portions at meal times, and eat dinner early vice late in the evening before bedtime. If I have to follow an extreme diet plan, and eliminate completely certain foods I have ate all my life, then try as I might, those foods are what I will crave and eventually give in to.

Here are a few links about the Keto diet to help in making an informed decision on what works best for you.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/keto-diet-is-gaining-popularity-but-is-it-safe-121914#1

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/ketogenic-diet/what-are-benefits-risks-keto-diet/

https://www.today.com/health/ketogenic-diet-not-recommended-weight-loss-experts-say-t105932

Kem

Citizen
Just be aware that many studies "showing" that the keto diet is unhealthy are funded by and come from both big pharma and big food industries. It is always good when reading an article citing studies, to check who's money funded the study. Of course that info is not always readily available but do be aware that this money usually comes from the pharma or manufactured food folks.

Andy C

Just be aware that many studies "showing" that the keto diet is unhealthy are funded by and come from both big pharma and big food industries. It is always good when reading an article citing studies, to check who's money funded the study. Of course that info is not always readily available but do be aware that this money usually comes from the pharma or manufactured food folks.
Agreed, but the same arguments can be made from both sides of wether this diet is safe. Im not trying to rain on the Keto parade, just showing that not everyone agrees with this diet being healthy. If it works for someone, and they can faithfully adhere to it, great. I will always be a firm believer in not eliminating most foods, just eat smaller portions. Most people after early success fail over the long haul on any diet, and mainly because they are hard to follow. I prefer to view my eating habits as not being on a diet, but simply being smarter on what, and the amounts of food I eat. The only items I never indulge in is any sweetened drinks to include sodas, and diet sodas. I almost exclusively drink water only and in high quantities.

Carol Berubee

I've started easing up on carbs although I haven't let go of banana as I like to consume my avocado sweet and having banana on it does the trick. However I will look for alternative sweetener and hopefully totally eliminate carbs and sugar from my diet.
Carbs are essential for good health. You shouldn't eliminate all carbs. There's nothing wrong with bananas. :) The sugar we must eliminate is processed sugar, including cane sugar and, of course, all artificial sweeteners. The main thing is to get enough good fats (70% of your caloric intake), and then proteins and carbs, including fruits. The carbs you want to eliminate are processed carbs, like most breads. I find Ezekiel bread to be fine for me. It's flourless and sugarless, all sprouted grains, so it's easy to digest.

Andy C

Carbs are essential for good health. You shouldn't eliminate all carbs. There's nothing wrong with bananas. :) The sugar we must eliminate is processed sugar, including cane sugar and, of course, all artificial sweeteners. The main thing is to get enough good fats (70% of your caloric intake), and then proteins and carbs, including fruits. The carbs you want to eliminate are processed carbs, like most breads. I find Ezekiel bread to be fine for me. It's flourless and sugarless, all sprouted grains, so it's easy to digest.
Good post. I have never heard of this bread, but will research it. Bread has been a weak spot for me, but slowly, Im eliminating heavy bread eating, and will look in to this Ezekiel bread, and if it agrees with my minor gerd problems, I will use this.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have never been overweight. Up until I was about 43, diet was a word I knew, but never attempted. I was running 40-50 miles every week, and had no need to diet with all the calories I was burning. Yes, I know that was the wrong way to look at diet, but it worked for me. Over the last 18 years or so, I pay more attention to what I eat. I still exercise like a madman, but now try to be smart in diet without being overly restrictive. Im an extremely disciplined man when it comes to never missing a workout, but only recently have I tried applying this same discipline to eating.

Im learning from all of you so “thanks”.

Carol Berubee

Bread has been a weak spot for me, but slowly, Im eliminating heavy bread eating, and will look in to this Ezekiel bread, and if it agrees with my minor gerd problems, I will use this.
Andy, you're in Oregon, right? If you're near a Trader Joe's, they have the best prices on Ezekiel bread, barring some other store having a special sale. Though I do eat Ezekiel bread, I don't eat it every day. Just make sure when you eat it (or any carb) that you eat it with fat, such as butter. And it's not just about weight/losing weight. It's about overall health. Sugar causes inflammation and that's bad for the whole body.

Kem

Citizen
Those wanting to further examine the health benefits of keto beyond weight loss might want to check out the book Grain Brain by David Perlmutter M.D. I purchased mine used on Amazon for a very low price.

ShilohRose

Andy, you're in Oregon, right? If you're near a Trader Joe's, they have the best prices on Ezekiel bread, barring some other store having a special sale. Though I do eat Ezekiel bread, I don't eat it every day. Just make sure when you eat it (or any carb) that you eat it with fat, such as butter. And it's not just about weight/losing weight. It's about overall health. Sugar causes inflammation and that's bad for the whole body.
I have periodically tried a low carb, high protein diet. I feel better and look better, but it is very hard to stay on for more than 6 weeks. My relationship with food is an unhealthy one, however. It is interesting that you recommend eating bread with butter. I have to eliminate almost all wheat products in order to lose weight. I used to get Ezekiel bread, and it's pretty good though. I'm trying to muster up the determination to go back on the low carb diet. I desperately need to lose at least 60 pounds.

Carol Berubee

I have to eliminate almost all wheat products in order to lose weight. I used to get Ezekiel bread, and it's pretty good though.
Yeah, grains aren't for everyone. If you have a gluten intolerance, then this bread isn't for you.
It is interesting that you recommend eating bread with butter.
I put butter on lots of things. :) But I eat only raw dairy, so getting a good fat like butter on my plate is easy. I don't have to worry about pasteurized dairy that is harmful to the body. When I eat meat, I eat as much of the fat as I can handle. I drink raw milk, whole, lots of cream on top! Raw cheese, too. And nuts and seeds that are high in fat.

But before all that, I had to find out what foods I was sensitive to. By eliminating those foods for 1 to 2 years, I was able to re-introduce them with no ill effects. The key for me is to stay away from the sugar. As long as I do that and keep my other carbs in check, I'm okay.

Micki

MARANATHA!!
Please view this movie. I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful the Keto way of eating has been for me and many people do not understand it’s health benefits, especially doctors.

There are many Keto groups with all kinds of information on social media. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to mention the social platform, but it begins with an “F”. On there you will find tips, tricks, recipes but most of all, testimonies of how going Keto has changed peoples lives and allowed them to reclaim those lives.

Micki

MARANATHA!!
Yeah, grains aren't for everyone. If you have a gluten intolerance, then this bread isn't for you.

I put butter on lots of things. :) But I eat only raw dairy, so getting a good fat like butter on my plate is easy. I don't have to worry about pasteurized dairy that is harmful to the body. When I eat meat, I eat as much of the fat as I can handle. I drink raw milk, whole, lots of cream on top! Raw cheese, too. And nuts and seeds that are high in fat.
At least some of the Ezekiel breads are gluten free. One needs to check the label. The cinnamon raisin bread is one I’m able to eat. I toast it and then slather it in coconut oil and it’s just yummy! This is a treat for me once in a while since grains aren’t Keto.

If you’re looking for a low carb bread recipe, here’s a delicious one! I use honey in this recipe instead of p̶o̶i̶s̶o̶n̶ artificial sweetener and it’s delicious and mostly Keto.

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2139292

Last edited:

Micki

MARANATHA!!
I have periodically tried a low carb, high protein diet. I feel better and look better, but it is very hard to stay on for more than 6 weeks. My relationship with food is an unhealthy one, however. It is interesting that you recommend eating bread with butter. I have to eliminate almost all wheat products in order to lose weight. I used to get Ezekiel bread, and it's pretty good though. I'm trying to muster up the determination to go back on the low carb diet. I desperately need to lose at least 60 pounds.
I’ve done this diet many times. It’s not easy to stay on because it just isn’t satisfying. Also I’ve read that eating too much protein will cause excess amino acids to form in the blood and those excess aminos are converted to fats and sugars. For me the high protein low carbs thing has been a 3-4 week diet, not anything I was ever able to sustain longer.