Anyone read Jonathan Cahn's latest book?

RonJohnSilver

It's called The Oracle. My SS teacher recommended it to the class today along with Cahn's other books. I read all of this forums comments and I can't get a real consensus on whether he is well intentioned but not quite on the mark or if he is significantly off base. He seems to hang around with some marginal types though. I have yet to read any of his writings so would appreciate others thoughts. If he is a heretic, then I need to confront the teacher.

GotGrace

It's called The Oracle. My SS teacher recommended it to the class today along with Cahn's other books. I read all of this forums comments and I can't get a real consensus on whether he is well intentioned but not quite on the mark or if he is significantly off base. He seems to hang around with some marginal types though. I have yet to read any of his writings so would appreciate others thoughts. If he is a heretic, then I need to confront the teacher.
I’ve not read his books but have wondered about them.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Don't buy his book. If you really want to read it, borrow it from a library. From what I know about him it seems he'll distort/twist the facts to reach whatever conclusions he argues for. I think selling books trumps the truth when it comes to his motives. That's just my humble opinion based on my previous exposure to him as an author.

athenasius

Here's what Pulpit and Pen has to say, and it's not complimentary. https://pulpitandpen.org/2019/07/01/false-prophet-jonathan-cahn-to-sell-yet-another-prophecy-book/

I've bumped into Jonathan before. Very very deceptive actually and quite clever how he avoids making a prophetic statement but implying it or relying on the claim that his books are fiction so not theological in nature.

I bought his first 2 books to see for myself. False prophet from start to finish.

We've had his books critiqued in the apostasy section before. I'm trying to remember the critic who took apart his first book, he's actually got a membership here, but is no longer active on RF.

Long story short, his usual methods stop short of actually making a flat out prophecy that you could nail him to the wall on, he relies on hints and innuendo and putting it in a fictional form. I'll see what I can dig up for you @RonJohnSilver

OK it's David James whose book The Harbinger Fact or Fiction did such a good job on detailing Mr.Cahn's many biblical errors. I seem to recall David wrote a blog post on book #2 as well. I forget if he used his actual name as a user name here, but we had a long thread over in Apostasy and I remember being happily surprised that David was a member here.

I know CIC had a good article on Cahn's first book too. https://www.cicministry.org/commentary/issue129.htm

The Berean Call had a good article here: https://www.thebereancall.org/content/when-false-teacher-calls-america-israel

I know you asked about this particular book, but I think once the discernment ministries dealt with book one and even 2 in David's case, they are kind of relying on people to avoid him based on the ---

---once a false prophet is proven false we are to avoid him principle (Deut 18:22)

which may or may not help with persuading your church to avoid this author.

I know both Lamb Lion ministries (Dr Reagan) and Jan Markell give him a free pass, but it's one of those times I completely disagree with them.

Last edited:

Footsteps

Cahn has a problem with the company he keeps. He appears often on the Jim Bakker show. After stirring up the audience with evidence that we are in the End Times, the focus goes to survivalism. Former inmate Bakker then hawks his food products you need to purchase to survive the hard times coming. The issues are the products' preservability, low cost compared to others, etc. Embarrassing. We have already seen the paucity of results when using OT feast and festival dates or other math-based speculation when trying to be too specific about the End Times.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Don't read a word further of it , he's a false prophet !!!!!!!!

Spartan Sprinter 1

Here's what Pulpit and Pen has to say, and it's not complimentary. https://pulpitandpen.org/2019/07/01/false-prophet-jonathan-cahn-to-sell-yet-another-prophecy-book/

I've bumped into Jonathan before. Very very deceptive actually and quite clever how he avoids making a prophetic statement but implying it or relying on the claim that his books are fiction so not theological in nature.

I bought his first 2 books to see for myself. False prophet from start to finish.

We've had his books critiqued in the apostasy section before. I'm trying to remember the critic who took apart his first book, he's actually got a membership here, but is no longer active on RF.

Long story short, his usual methods stop short of actually making a flat out prophecy that you could nail him to the wall on, he relies on hints and innuendo and putting it in a fictional form. I'll see what I can dig up for you @RonJohnSilver

OK it's David James whose book The Harbinger Fact or Fiction did such a good job on detailing Mr.Cahn's many biblical errors. I seem to recall David wrote a blog post on book #2 as well. I forget if he used his actual name as a user name here, but we had a long thread over in Apostasy and I remember being happily surprised that David was a member here.

I know CIC had a good article on Cahn's first book too. https://www.cicministry.org/commentary/issue129.htm

The Berean Call had a good article here: https://www.thebereancall.org/content/when-false-teacher-calls-america-israel

I know you asked about this particular book, but I think once the discernment ministries dealt with book one and even 2 in David's case, they are kind of relying on people to avoid him based on the ---

---once a false prophet is proven false we are to avoid him principle (Deut 18:22)

I know both Lamb Lion ministries (Dr Reagan) and Jan Markell give him a free pass, but it's one of those times I completely disagree with them.
Yeah Gary Stearman also seems to give him a validation pass to, i thought he woiuld know better

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
There is NOTHING Mr Cahn says that has any value whatsoever. Sorry to be so blunt, but there are enough good teachers available to Christians without corrupting your mind and your understanding of God's Word with the unscriptural ideas that he pedals. The real danger he poses is in how cleverly he twists God's Word to make his points: it is very, very easy to be caught up in bad doctrine.

Lynn

The real danger he poses is in how cleverly he twists God's Word to make his points: it is very, very easy to be caught up in bad doctrine.
Amen! Thank you, Adrian, for getting straight to the point about this guy. Unfortunately, some of the true teachers/Christian leaders have quoted him, interviewed him as a guest on their program, etc. , probably because of ratings.
Just guessing, but many discoveries are made when we 'follow the money.' Maybe the listeners more readily donate $$$ when the author of the top selling book that they're reading is on the program.
Christians have been confused by his writings & his promotion of false ideas ( significance of four blood red moons appearing in one year, etc.) People who have attended Bible believing churches for 'years' fell for this. These are the last days, and apostasy abounds.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Mr. Cahn wrote the fictional Harbinger which was designed as a call for America to repent. That purpose sounds very well and good, but he based—and then developed—his novel's underlying thesis on consistently misapplied Scripture. T.A. McMahon has an excellent review of it over at The Berean Call. https://www.thebereancall.org/content/harbinger-matter-critical-discernment

GotGrace

It seems like I remember something about that discussion and had forgotten it - senior moment.