Anyone on here play videogames?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I was on a Monster Hunter: World kick for a month or so, but my computer just stopped working the other day, so I can't get back into it until that's fixed :(

I played the newest animal crossing game for a couple weeks, but school has kept me too busy. I only really have time for sermons/Bible and class stuff these days, maybe an episode of TV show every few days :shrug

TheRedeemed

When I was younger, though a Christian, I loved playing the DOOM games. Something appealed to me about killing demons.

These older years (I'm in my 50's), I like to play more modern games like Farming Simulator 17 or 19, and/or Satisfactory to relieve stress, while I'll have Jack Hibbs, Chuck Missler, JD Faraq or Jan Markell playing in the background. Or sometimes I'll have old sermons playing in the background from my pastor from back in the 90's.

But if I want something more action oriented... I'll play X-com.

So anyway... if it's action, it's always facing off against demons or aliens. I don't play games where you hunt or kill "people".
I have PS4 and only play football games, the two most popular being FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer. Although I am tempted to try Train Simulator 2020, what man wouldn’t like to drive a train about the place!?

I too play my games while listening to my audio bible or sermons like you do too. Football games don’t require any sound to play, so don’t have to listen for instructions etc., so I can just turn audio off and play.

dalebreton

I play only on PC. It is more comfortable than playing on PS4 or on the phone. My favorite game is League of Legends. I play on it since it appeared and I am one of the best gamers in this game. One thing I can say that it is very hard to achieve the highest level in that game. I spent on it for some weeks but I couldn't reach it. I bought a boosting service from boosteria.org and the guys helped me to achieve the desired rank for a reasonable price in some days.

Last edited:

MAJ

Let me preface this comment by saying I haven't posted in a very long time.

Around a year ago or so I had a really bad falling out with God. I was angry with Him because so much... too much... was going wrong in my life. As such, not only was I struggling (and pretty much failing due to the weight of everything) to trust Him, but I came to the supposition that He didn't want me. I truly felt like He'd given up on me. I had a meltdown in the Prayer Request section and left the forum. Due to past dealings with incredibly mean-spirited Christians, I have a HORRIBLE time reading replies and responding to comments directed at me. It's incredibly difficult for me to fellowship with anyone, online or offline, because of the Christian PTSD I seem to suffer with.

I eventually decided to come back and just be an occasional lurker- mostly in order to read the Jack Kinsella articles. I noticed one of the Christians I've encountered online who was pretty nasty joined RF. I broke my silence to make one comment, ratting him out. Looking back on it, that was probably petty and childish of me, but I've seen this guy get banned from other sites. I felt like I had to warn and say something because I saw first-hand how demeaning and nasty he can be towards Pre-tribbers.

As for my relationship with God, I'm honestly trying to repair it... but I feel like I'm in such a pit with Him. I'm still wrestling with the fear of Him possibly given up on me. Faith is also something I seem to have chronic difficulty with.

Nobody ever taught me HOW to have faith. They just told me to "do it." But no matter how hard I try to have faith, I always feel like I'm somehow doing it wrong because I have no context to inform me of if I'm doing it right. I feel like I can't do anything right when it comes to this whole "Christian" thing. I deeply want to be a warm, gentle, godly man who always pleases God...

... but who I am in reality falls so depressingly short of who I envision God wants me to be. I feel like I can never please Him and I'm ALWAYS doing something wrong somehow...

Which leads me into my main inquiry.

For starters, I like games. No, I'm not someone who plays 10-16 hours a day. After about an hour or so I've usually had my fill and want to move on to something else.

Still, growing up, my family and I never really went on vacation, so games allowed me to visit new worlds and characters.

One genre I particularly like are RPG's. Sometimes they can feature epic, emotional stories... sweeping landscapes to traverse... incredible music... and giant monsters to topple.

I like that. It's fun to train and grow and take down that level 92 hulking behemoth that used to give you trouble.

What I DON'T like is the use of magic. Plenty of RPG's (but not all) can feature heavy uses of magic... and that sort of stuff makes me wary. I don't like the occult. I like fighting monsters and exploring sweeping worlds... but I don't like the occult.

Well, here's where my trouble begins...

Recently, I was trying to find a new game to play. I haven't played a new one in quite a while, so I was trying to find something safe to play. Well, I wound up on a video game review site and one of the User Reviews was discussing magic in video games.

They essentially said this...

"Jesus said that to look upon a woman with lust is no different than actual adultery, right? So how is using "pretend" magic in video games no different than using actual occult practices?"

... Not only did that make me feel like yet again I can't do anything right and I always displease God, but now I feel like I'm headed for hell because apparently, by my playing some RPGs, that means I've been dabbling in the occult and didn't even realise it by using a character who can lob a fire ball at enemies.

Then I thought to myself, "Well, by that same line of logic, how is killing enemies in games any different from actual murder?"

When you consider how many Goombas and Koopa-Troopas I've stomped in Mario games throughout the years... my body count is probably somewhere in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

So I feel pretty damned, doomed, and hopeless anymore.

So my question is this...

Is magic in games the same as real magic? Is killing enemies in games no different than actual murder?

Sorry if this is a really seedy, tricky, loaded issue to just dump on here. I really don't know where else to go for help and insight. Most Christians would just probably give me a trite response or a severe scolding. "Be done with games and play chess! Do something productive!"

I try to be productive... but sometimes it's fun to jump into and explore another world, y'know? Especially when it's difficult for me to travel.

Anyways, any insight would be really appreciated. Please don't take it personally if I don't respond. Like I said in my preface... that's incredibly difficult for me to do. I seem to be going through a lot of difficulties when it comes to faith and being a Christian as a whole. I want to get things right but I feel like I just...

can't.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member

Around a year ago or so I had a really bad falling out with God. I was angry with Him because so much... too much... was going wrong in my life. As such, not only was I struggling (and pretty much failing due to the weight of everything) to trust Him, but I came to the supposition that He didn't want me. I truly felt like He'd given up on me. I had a meltdown in the Prayer Request section and left the forum. Due to past dealings with incredibly mean-spirited Christians, I have a HORRIBLE time reading replies and responding to comments directed at me. It's incredibly difficult for me to fellowship with anyone, online or offline, because of the Christian PTSD I seem to suffer with.

I eventually decided to come back and just be an occasional lurker- mostly in order to read the Jack Kinsella articles. I noticed one of the Christians I've encountered online who was pretty nasty joined RF. I broke my silence to make one comment, ratting him out. Looking back on it, that was probably petty and childish of me, but I've seen this guy get banned from other sites. I felt like I had to warn and say something because I saw first-hand how demeaning and nasty he can be towards Pre-tribbers.

As for my relationship with God, I'm honestly trying to repair it... but I feel like I'm in such a pit with Him. I'm still wrestling with the fear of Him possibly given up on me. Faith is also something I seem to have chronic difficulty with.

Nobody ever taught me HOW to have faith. They just told me to "do it." But no matter how hard I try to have faith, I always feel like I'm somehow doing it wrong because I have no context to inform me of if I'm doing it right. I feel like I can't do anything right when it comes to this whole "Christian" thing. I deeply want to be a warm, gentle, godly man who always pleases God...

... but who I am in reality falls so depressingly short of who I envision God wants me to be. I feel like I can never please Him and I'm ALWAYS doing something wrong somehow...

For starters, I like games. No, I'm not someone who plays 10-16 hours a day. After about an hour or so I've usually had my fill and want to move on to something else.

Still, growing up, my family and I never really went on vacation, so games allowed me to visit new worlds and characters.

One genre I particularly like are RPG's. Sometimes they can feature epic, emotional stories... sweeping landscapes to traverse... incredible music... and giant monsters to topple.

I like that. It's fun to train and grow and take down that level 92 hulking behemoth that used to give you trouble.

What I DON'T like is the use of magic. Plenty of RPG's (but not all) can feature heavy uses of magic... and that sort of stuff makes me wary. I don't like the occult. I like fighting monsters and exploring sweeping worlds... but I don't like the occult.

Recently, I was trying to find a new game to play. I haven't played a new one in quite a while, so I was trying to find something safe to play. Well, I wound up on a video game review site and one of the User Reviews was discussing magic in video games.

"Jesus said that to look upon a woman with lust is no different than actual adultery, right? So how is using "pretend" magic in video games no different than using actual occult practices?"

... Not only did that make me feel like yet again I can't do anything right and I always displease God, but now I feel like I'm headed for hell because apparently, by my playing some RPGs, that means I've been dabbling in the occult and didn't even realise it by using a character who can lob a fire ball at enemies.

Then I thought to myself, "Well, by that same line of logic, how is killing enemies in games any different from actual murder?"

When you consider how many Goombas and Koopa-Troopas I've stomped in Mario games throughout the years... my body count is probably somewhere in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

Is magic in games the same as real magic? Is killing enemies in games no different than actual murder?

Sorry if this is a really seedy, tricky, loaded issue to just dump on here. I really don't know where else to go for help and insight. Most Christians would just probably give me a trite response or a severe scolding. "Be done with games and play chess! Do something productive!"

I try to be productive... but sometimes it's fun to jump into and explore another world, y'know? Especially when it's difficult for me to travel.

Anyways, any insight would be really appreciated. Please don't take it personally if I don't respond. Like I said in my preface... that's incredibly difficult for me to do. I seem to be going through a lot of difficulties when it comes to faith and being a Christian as a whole. I want to get things right but I feel like I just...

can't.
MAJ, your post has touched my heart. I want to pray before I jump in with an answer. But I will answer. Just hang in there. And I am sure others here will offer help as well.

InsuranceGuy

I play on PS4 and rarely on XBOX One. I like Dark Souls, Dying Light, etc etc.

I do that too, Scilent. I'll be playing and have a sermon on. Good times!
I jist read this. I do the same thing. I'll have a sermon on youtube going while playing. I also play Dying Light and was hoping to be around for part 2. It looks great in the trailer I saw. I just ordered The Last of Us 2 today. I know some people hate the game because of the gay characters depicted, but I was emotionally attached to the first game.

Eric Nicholas

I jist read this. I do the same thing. I'll have a sermon on youtube going while playing. I also play Dying Light and was hoping to be around for part 2. It looks great in the trailer I saw. I just ordered The Last of Us 2 today. I know some people hate the game because of the gay characters depicted, but I was emotionally attached to the first game.
Let me know how the Last of Us 2 goes, Brother Dan. I loved, loved Dying Light. The music and ambience were just great. I just didn't like weapon durability.

I think you are going to be around, I do. I love you and it's always good to see you.

InsuranceGuy

can't.
You are being much too hard on yourself my friend. I have done some flat out horrible things in my life, yet I know I have been forgiven. The Bible tells me so.

I do not know the answer to your video game question. That may be a different answer for each person individually. I play a lot of online free poker because I am confined to the bed or recliner. I do not see it as a bad thing. It eases my severe anxiety about dying, so I dont think it is a bad thing for me personally.

Like you, I am a huge fan of the RPG genre. I love the Dragon Age series. If you do not like the magic, do not play with a mage. Use a warrior instead. I think video games teach kids horrible things. That said, i am no longer a child and can differentiate between what is real and what is in a game. I mostly play poker now, but understand your thought process. Treat it for what it is, a video game. If you are not worshipping it, or glorifying it, I do not see an issue. It could be you are being convicted to not play those games with killing and/or magic. Pray. You are not in a pit with Christ. Talk with him often. More than just a small prayer each day. It helps me a lot.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
@MAJ ...

After prayer, I am going to echo what @Dan (InsuranceGuy) said in the last paragraph of his post #76.

"Treat it for what it is, a video game. If you are not worshipping it, or glorifying it, I do not see an issue. It could be you are being convicted to not play those games with killing and/or magic. Pray. You are not in a pit with Christ. Talk with him often. More than just a small prayer each day. It helps me a lot."

What is important is that you do what is right for you. If God is convicting you of something rather than Satan condemning you over it, then obey God. The way you know conviction from condemnation is this: conviction is a steady but gentle push that makes you want to follow it and it does not entail threats of loss of salvation or God's blessing. Condemnation is exactly what it says: you are filled with feelings that God is condemning you becase he is angry or frustrated or disappointed in you. None of that is true. It is Satan performing his role as "Accuser of the brethren" (as he is revealed in Zechariah 3:1 and Revelation 12:10). And he is very good at that. In fact, he is perfect in evil.

God loves you so much that He sent His Son to die for you so that you might live with Him for eternity. That love is not conditional upon anything you do or do not do. All He asked of you was to respond to Him and accept Him. You did that. That faith is all you need. Nothing else. Jesus did all the rest.

My young brother, the changes in you are His work, not yours. You just have to want them. And be willing to change something (that is be willing to start doing something or stop doing something) that He shows you must change. When he does show you something, wrestle it out in conversation with God until you get to the point where you can make up your mind to obey Him. Then simply trust Him to provide the power to do whatever it is.

As Dan said, "Talk with Him often. More than just a small prayer each day." Talking to God is the way you develop your relationship with him. Prayer isn't some fancy, formal thing you do; its's simply having a conversation with Him. Nothing more. When you walk in this kind of faith—with Christ and His finished work on the Cross as the object of your faith—you will be surprised at how peaceful your life will become and how strong you will find yourself in the Lord.

Dave

Matthew 24:14
You are being much too hard on yourself my friend. I have done some flat out horrible things in my life, yet I know I have been forgiven. The Bible tells me so.

I do not know the answer to your video game question. That may be a different answer for each person individually. I play a lot of online free poker because I am confined to the bed or recliner. I do not see it as a bad thing. It eases my severe anxiety about dying, so I dont think it is a bad thing for me personally.

Like you, I am a huge fan of the RPG genre. I love the Dragon Age series. If you do not like the magic, do not play with a mage. Use a warrior instead. I think video games teach kids horrible things. That said, i am no longer a child and can differentiate between what is real and what is in a game. I mostly play poker now, but understand your thought process. Treat it for what it is, a video game. If you are not worshipping it, or glorifying it, I do not see an issue. It could be you are being convicted to not play those games with killing and/or magic. Pray. You are not in a pit with Christ. Talk with him often. More than just a small prayer each day. It helps me a lot.
I used to be pretty heavy into RPG also back in the Super Nintendo days. I played Final Fantasy 2 and 3, Mystic Quest, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Breath of Fire. Those were fun games.

Dave

Matthew 24:14

can't.
I have had mental breakdowns too. Your not alone. My last one was a couple years ago and I had to ask for help.