Anyone into board, card, or puzzle games?

Discussion in 'Word Games, Polls, Music, & Poetry' started by Jonathan, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

I'm an avid computer gamer, but recently I have become interested in going "old school" and getting back to some of the games my grandmother used to teach us as kids, and some she didn't. I just recently picked up a dominoes set and a backgammon board. The rules for both aren't too hard, but there is a subtle strategy (especially with backgammon) that makes me think it would be a lot of fun when the power is out or even if it isn't.

Spades and hearts can be a lot of fun too.

And of course, Monopoly is the best, I don't care who you are. ;P

I guess the real allure is having good games to play with real people in your presence without the need for electricity (even if the electricity IS on). Kind of more intimate.

Anyone else into these types of games? If so, what is your favorite?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. Batfan7

Batfan7 Well-Known Member

Yes! I love games! I remember as a kid watching my parents and grandparents play pinochle and now my hubby and I do this with my parents as my kids watch.

We try to find other people to play games with - it's a great excuse to get together and hang out. This is something I really look forward to doing with others in Heaven!

3. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

Love jigsaw puzzles and most of all, the king of games: Chess!

4. Jonathan

That's a great way to look at it, about playing in heaven, especially for me because while I have friends to play computer games and do other things with, not many are up for playing dominoes. lol.

I've never played Pinochle before (don't even know how), but there is a free online website somewhere that has this games as one of it's options so I will have to learn it.

And I agree entirely about "hanging out." (and doing something other than stare at the TV).

5. Jonathan

How odd, I had a dream about jigsaw puzzles last night! (No, there is no prophetic significance to that, lol). It's been a long time since I really put together one, except when my dad was in the mid-course of his Alzheimers and we were trying to find ways to stimulate him intellectually. Unfortunately, the pieces were huge (and therefore easy) but even then he had a hard time. Very depressing.

Chess is great, but I'll be the first to admit I am mediocre at it. I know the rules (it was actually one of the first games I ever learned) but I could never see the forest for the trees so kinda always felt like I was winging it without a master plan.

Anyways, good gaming!

6. HeIsRisen

HeIsRisen Well-Known Member

YES! To all games, especially on a family vacation at the beach or campground! My family and outer family (close family friends who vacation with all of us every year) always brings games along, and there is always a new game in the mix for us to play, too.

7. Jonathan

The campground sounds like a perfect place!

8. Judy4Jesus

Judy4Jesus Well-Known Member

My 87 year old MIL who has Parkinsons spent the summer with us this past year. She adores playing dominoes and so I learned to play "Mexican Train" and another dominoes game involving making chicken sounds! Lol it was fun and new to us.
    We also enjoy playing cards, but for a large group we play 31. My grandkids all love to play board games which is great!
    Love me some jigsaw puzzles too!

9. ShilohRose

ShilohRose Well-Known Member

I haven't played board or card games in years, but when I was in college, my friends and I would play Spades until 4:00 in the morning.

10. Jonathan

I've seen youtube videos about Mexican Train and it looks like a really fun way of playing the bones, so to speak. That's the thing, there are so many variations in dominoes that I guess everyone has to make sure they are on the same page as far as rules go, the same way you should, if you are wise, do so when starting a Monopoly game. I think there are as many rules for Monopoly as there are players. ;P

But right now I'm getting settled into backgammon and liking it. Played two games so far against a human opponent (my mother), and obviously bested her beyond redemption. Hopefully she'll get better. ;P

(Sorry, I can't resist). In all truthfulness, we were both learning as we went and it basically took us almost an hour to complete each game. I figure once the rules become second nature we will be playing a round in 10-15 minutes. So good times.

11. Jonathan

As a side note, Chess and Backgammon are ancient games. Chess, as best as historians can tell, is roughly 2500 years old, putting it around 5th to 6th century before Christ.

Backgammon is generally thought to have originated 5000 years ago (3000 BC).

Both came from Mesopotamia (Iraq, Iran) and India (Chess).

They are both ancient games but Backgammon is by far the oldest.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  12. bap

bap Well-Known Member

Bridge, but not played in many years.

13. Jan51

Jan51 Well-Known Member

I have a Bible Trivia game, and when I was teaching jr hi and high school SS classes, I used the cards each week at the beginning of class. I divided them into teams and the first to know the answer could blurt it. If no one knew, I gave them the reference and the first to find it, read it and got the point. It often started some good discussions that ended up being the entire Bible study.

I got the idea to create a similar game I called Quote-It. There would be cards with a Bible quote on one side, and on the other would be who said it, who it was said to, and the reference. I kind of looked into marketing it but didn't know much about that. The Bible Trivia came with a game board you moved around on, and I didn't know about adding something like that. So anyhow, I never did anything with it. Oh well. It was fun trying to create it.

14. Jonathan

Several people steered me towards bridge, but honestly, that game is so complex it is hard to get a foot in the pool, so to speak. I love Spades, which I think of as "Bridge-Light." I also think you need a steady group of people who know how to play the game and spend the time needed. It really is a social occasion that can take hours, at least according to my mother who used to play bridge every week with a group of friends and colleagues.

In my generation, at least where I live, there aren't a lot of people into this sort of thing. At least with Backgammon, all you need is one other player. But still, I plan on learning Bridge soon.

15. Jonathan

Creating a game can be great fun. Selling it, I imagine, is a whole other deal. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

16. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

I have always liked Scrabble, Chess and loved playing Battleship board game with my younger brother, that was like 1970 and it kept us occupied on rainy days.

17. bap

bap Well-Known Member

U make good points & R correct about bridge! Guess that's why not playing.

18. Judy4Jesus

Judy4Jesus Well-Known Member

Oh...Scrabble and Battleship! Yes! Yahtzee and yes, I LOVE BINGO too...there, I said it! Hehe

19. greg64

greg64 Well-Known Member

On backgammon -- there was a book I got back the late 70's or early 80's called Backgammon for Blood. If you like the game, it's probably worth trying to find -- gives you a whole new outlook on the strategy and probability involved.

For card games, I've finally learned euchre. It's more of a regional game, but much easier than bridge.

For Christmas, my daughter got me a board game called Ticket to Ride that I like a lot. Along the same vein as Settlers of Catan but instead you're building rail links between cities and trying to obtain certain objectives. Good mix between not too long to play but also lets you explore various strategies.

Judy4Jesus, Andy C, chaser and 3 others like this.
  20. Sowen

Sowen Well-Known Member

I’m a gamer as in video games, but I like board and card games too.

My favorite board game is Monopoly. I like it so much that I’ve bought video game versions of it. It’s been my favorite since childhood.

My other favorites are dominoes, checkers, Uno, Connect Four, Scrabble, and Hangman.

It’s most fun when we make up our own rules.

Judy4Jesus, Andy C, chaser and 2 others like this.