Anybody using secure email and VPNs?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone here using any secure email services and/or VPNs?

I've been having some trouble with the raptureforums.com emails coming in for one reason or another. I thought I'd try out the ProtonMail service and I see they also have a VPN service as well.

Does anyone here us e secure email and/or VPN? If so, which one do you use? How do you like it?

Jonathan

I've been having some trouble with the raptureforums.com emails coming in for one reason or another. I thought I'd try out the ProtonMail service and I see they also have a VPN service as well.

Does anyone here us e secure email and/or VPN? If so, which one do you use? How do you like it?
I used to use a proper VPN, and actually do still but it is not truly secure since it basically just connects to the router at my alternate residence and engages the internet from there (useful for watching Cable TV over the intenet when away from home because the cable company compares your current IP to your account to let you watch. This way, the cable company thinks I am accessing from home).

I think using a proper VPN service is a great idea for EVERYONE. And from what I understand, you can get solid service from respectable companies like Norton for just a few dollars a month.

Never go with a "free" one though. Nothing is free.

Just my thoughts.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I have used it so far and it seems to work fine, but I've only gotten one email in 2-3 days now. :lol So, I don't really have anything to compare it to.

I was looking at the ProtonVPN service. I've experimented with the TunnelBear VPN, too. Theirs is better priced, but ProtonVPN has a free account with unlimited bandwidth but the service speed is "medium" instead of "fast" like the paying service. But some of the reviews I've read say there is little difference between the non-paid and paid account as far as speed wise.

I'm not sure if I will use a VPN or not. I just upgraded to AT&T Fiber and my speeds are pretty fast. They slow donw on the VPN. :ohno

Work4Peanuts

I've been using Protonmail for a long time now. I love it.

Jonathan

Hmmm. has anyone else experienced slowdown with a good VPN? Technically, it makes sense, in that, there is an additional node you have to go through, but if the VPN node is good, it shouldn't be a problem. If you run a trace program on how you get to a lot of sites, there are often 5-15 stops it takes to go through. It is the nature of the internet. The only thing I can think of is that the VPN jumping point is overloaded.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I have SurfEasy VPN on my phone and laptop. I get 250 MB free which goes fast. I turn it off when I'm not doing anything that needs to be protected. It seems to activate on its own sometimes and then blows through that free stuff in no time at all, then I'm without protection for the rest of the month. I've got another VPN on a device I don't have with me at the moment so I can't look to see what it is called.

Edited to add: the other VPN I use is VPN Free, an android app. I think there is more than one with the same name and I don't know for sure which one it is... I'm using it on an Amazon fire device.

Last edited:

Work4Peanuts

Hmmm. has anyone else experienced slowdown with a good VPN? Technically, it makes sense, in that, there is an additional node you have to go through, but if the VPN node is good, it shouldn't be a problem. If you run a trace program on how you get to a lot of sites, there are often 5-15 stops it takes to go through. It is the nature of the internet. The only thing I can think of is that the VPN jumping point is overloaded.
I use Epic privacy browser, which supposedly has a VPN built in. None of the websites I visit seem to actually know where I'm from, so there's that. It actually seems to run faster because it also blocks most of the tracking.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried TunnelBear.com and it is pretty good. They give you some free service and if you tweet about their service they will give you another 1GB. So, if you advertise for them, you can use the service free. :lol

Since I upgraded to AT&T Fiber I've been a little more concerned about my Internet speed lately.

Jonathan

Just out of curiosity, what kind of speeds do all of you have, down and up? I'm not using a VPN currently, but I am on wifi (about 15 feet from the router), but just ran a test on speedtest.net and got the following results:

Ping: 18ms
Download: 106.05 mbps
Upload: 8.33 mbps

Needless to say, I have pretty good service (Cox) and a good router (Asus).

Just curious what others get.

Jonathan

This is what I got:

Ping 6ms
Download 855.58 Mbps
Upload 717.29 Mbps
Are you kidding me Chris!?!?! The national average is about 20 Mbps, and I felt pretty slick getting with a smooth 100. Whoever your service provider is, you should send them flowers. That is amazing!

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Are you kidding me Chris!?!?! The national average is about 20 Mbps, and I felt pretty slick getting a smooth 100. Whoever your service provider is, you should send them flowers. That is amazing!
I upgraded a couple of weeks ago to AT&T Fiber. I used to get about 40+Mbps on regular AT&T Internet service.

Jonathan

I'm now officially jealous!! Seriously, awesome bandwidth you got there. It's also incredible that your upload speed matches your download speed. Usually, upload is about 10% of the download speed. 6ms Ping? Again, wow.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'm now officially jealous!! Seriously, awesome bandwidth you got there. It's also incredible that your upload speed matches your download speed. Usually, upload is about 10% of the download speed. 6ms Ping? Again, wow.
You might have Fiber available where you are. Is AT&T in your area or are you out "in the woods"?

I think you only see the download times when you try to download files and movies, etc. I haven't noticed a ton from my online browsing experience. You probably aren't missing much at all with what you've got.

Jonathan

I'm now officially jealous!! Seriously, awesome bandwidth you got there.
You might have Fiber available where you are. Is AT&T in your area or are you out "in the woods"?

I think you only see the download times when you try to download files and movies, etc. I haven't noticed a ton from my online browsing experience. You probably aren't missing much at all with what you've got.
We do have fiber but just like the cable connection, both companies (Cox and Verizon) artificially limit the bandwidth. It use to be 20, then they upped it to 50, and now it is 100.

I think you are right though, with 100mps you could be watching 4 or 5 different HD movies streamed at the same time probably. So it's not like I need any more bandwidth.