Any "preppers" out there?

Philadelphia

it is food and Mac thinks I have too many cans of beans :D and soups.
hahahaha Now that just made me smile. I have more beans and soup than any family could ever need. And yet, my kids look in the pantry and say "why do we never have anything to eat!"

My beans and soup issue wasn't actually intended to be stock-piling, btw, more like a short term memory problem. LOL

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
I have enough for three days and I haven't intentionally prepped. I think a lot of my friends do too. I have three dried curries, a pot noodle, two ready meals in the fridge and, of course, a six pack of Heinz Baked Beans.

Ah the life of students. We have canned baked beans coming out of our ears. :p

If I was to prep I'd buy a bigger First Aid kit than my personal one, a six pack of 1.5 litre water bottles and a couple of big bottles of Whisky or Vodka for treating wounds. (Wine is cheaper but I'd rather drink that whereas Whisky or Vodka...yeeech! :puke )

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I don't give prepping much thought but the way I purchase stuff usually sees us with a few weeks of food or more. When something we use is on sale for a good price I buy about as much as I think we'd use before it goes bad. Then I just put it behind whatever we have of that item in the pantry. I have a decent sized pantry in the garage and two 15 cubic feet freezers. I guess the only thing I have that might be considered prepping is a 50 pound bag of pinto beans, and extra 25 pounds of rice, and a big bag of salt.

Where I live it isn't uncommon to have power outages and sometimes they'll last up to a week. When that happens I usually find that it's water that I don't have... like I said, I don't really give thought to prepping. Since we just recently had a long outage I've got a few gallons of water on hand... not that that would last long...

We're also kind of towards the end of the distribution line, so oftentimes local stores will run out of certain items for a while. It surprises me how quickly store shelves can empty.

When we were more of an agricultural society people tended to have stores to last until the next harvest. Now that we're mostly city dwellers I guess we're more vulnerable to supply chain issues...

True Believers have no cause to be concerned about the Tribulation years since we'll be home and quite perfectly safe and we'll have everything we could possibly need... forever...

Last edited:

athenasius

I used to use a pantry system to beat prices, buying & storing sale priced stuff in freezer & pantry but that was when we had a house & I had quit work as an RN in favour of homeschooling our 2 teens, but they grew up, we downsized & now it's a smaller apartment. I still find storage space for sale items that are worth the space & I think we could manage a short term crisis du jour like weather or earthquake but as for serious prepping, no. My freezer is a part of my fridge so it just holds a few extra meat bargains. Which is similar to the fridge, enough to go a week between grocery trips, no more.

ReadyforSupper

A warning to those who store plastic water bottles...they're biodegradable and they'll burst after a couple years. Rotate your stock.

I live in a hurricane prone area and after spending eight months in a fema camp in Homestead after Andrew, I've learned what I need vs what I thought I needed.

I have a non electric version of my most important appliances, wash tubs, ringers etc, a vortex blender, solar oven (okay okay...it's a cardboard box with aluminum foil but it'll bake biscuits and small cakes and cornbread so I'm happy).

I don't require heat for winter (we don't do winter as such) nor do I require a.c. for summer (but the hubby would be fairly useless the first summer without it.)

I grow all our veggies and most of our fruit, eggs and chicken are fifty feet away.

A VERY BIG DEAL in your emergency supply kits is unwaxed dental floss and dollmaker's needless. (You'd be surprised at how beautifully they'll stitch a wound.) Everclear grain alcohol is extremely cheap and works as a disinfectant better than vodka (190 proof) and people are less apt to actually drink it...it's foul.

Make sure your tetanus shots are kept up to date as well.

The only things I really stock up on are things that don't grow here...rice, tea, coffee and wheat...luxuries because they're not absolute must haves here, but one does tire of cornbread as a constant diet.

vmoon

I didn't build it to prep, more to see how it worked, but I have a "rocket stove" made of about 20 bricks that I could use to boil water with twigs as fuel if we needed to.
I've been looking at those on pinterest. They are so neat. My oldest has a sawmill and he wants to build me an outside room. Screened in with my chiminea somehow included. A rocket stove would be really, really neat though.

ReadyforSupper

I didn't build it to prep, more to see how it worked, but I have a "rocket stove" made of about 20 bricks that I could use to boil water with twigs as fuel if we needed to.
I'll have to look that up! When we were kids in South Florida, tropical weather ALWAYS meant no power. We learned to make and successfully use solar ovens. They don't leak air as badly as commercial ones either lol.

Natalie

I have an unsaved family and I have pretty much tried to prepare my family for several months (hopefully longer) of dire circumstances. I have a lot of flour (20lb bags at sams for like $10), sugar, canned goods, an abundance of canned tomatoes from a great harvest, rice, a small generator and solar panel (my biggest purchase). I have printed out a lot of prophecy and salvation pages and extra bibles. I don't have an answer for keeping warm (I'm in the north), but I've done the best I can with what I've got. Even if the economy crashes and we are still here, we should be good for quite a while.

I know there are people out there who poo poo stocking up. They say we are not trusting God. I would remind them of the story of Joseph who was given a dream of 7 years of abundance and 7 years of famine. He put away for the lean years as a good steward.
I have unsaved family and friends as well and I have extra supplies in part for that reason. Like you I also have a solar panel and generator. The Joseph story is a good one to keep in mind.

Lily

Looking Up
Lately I've been reconsidering planning for an emergency. I looked for a recommended list today and found this at the Red Cross site:

http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit/anatomy

That's a long list and if you include a first aid kit, that's going to take me some time to get together. They suggest what you need for three days and for two weeks, and if you have pets you need to think about them too.

I'm sure I have some things already, and I have a good sized duffle bag I could store it all in. I live in a very tiny apartment, the hardest thing to find room for would be water and I'm pretty sure that's the most important thing. I'm going to have to take some time to think this through.

All the recent earthquakes have me on a moderate alert, as I live on the Ring of Fire and they say Oregon is due for a big one. Even if it's off the coast, if there's flooding it'll go right up the Willamette River and into my front yard. Part of the river is just a stone's throw away from me.

I'm not scared, I just want to be a little prepared so this is my next project as my situation allows.

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
It is wise to be prepared for trouble.

I could now last for a couple weeks with my stash of tinned and dry foods but only a week water wise.

The only thing I lack is a decent weapon (in the event of a disaster that caused people to go looting. But those can be improvised.)

Lily

Looking Up
It is wise to be prepared for trouble.

I could now last for a couple weeks with my stash of tinned and dry foods but only a week water wise.

The only thing I lack is a decent weapon (in the event of a disaster that caused people to go looting. But those can be improvised.)
I need to get busy. I do have a weapon of sorts, not sure how effective it is. It's a metal bat that I spray painted gold and I keep it by my bed, also scissors are handy. I probably need some sort of pepper spray or something, I need to look into that.

ReadyforSupper

the hardest thing to find room for would be water and I'm pretty sure that's the most important thing. I'm going to have to take some time to think this through
Check out Berkey water filtration. You can get any size from water bottle to 3 gallons and they'll FULLY filter even raw sewage.

The Red Cross uses them in disaster areas.

I have 2 personal bottles ( we keep them in the truck, there's always water in a roadside ditch here) and a Royal ( next to largest size) in the kitchen.

4 filters will filter a half million gallons.

Lily

Looking Up
Check out Berkey water filtration. You can get any size from water bottle to 3 gallons and they'll FULLY filter even raw sewage.

The Red Cross uses them in disaster areas.

I have 2 personal bottles ( we keep them in the truck, there's always water in a roadside ditch here) and a Royal ( next to largest size) in the kitchen.

4 filters will filter a half million gallons.
I'll check into this, didn't know about it. I can see where that could easily become the most valuable possession for miles around! Thank you!

Carl

Remember for the short term your water heater holds from 30 to 50 gallons of drinking water.

At this point in time the most needed item is a relationship with Jesus Christ. (at least then if you die you will be better off). Things seem to be really speeding up now. I don't see how it can go on for too many more years!

Natalie

Lately I've been reconsidering planning for an emergency. I looked for a recommended list today and found this at the Red Cross site:

http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit/anatomy

That's a long list and if you include a first aid kit, that's going to take me some time to get together. They suggest what you need for three days and for two weeks, and if you have pets you need to think about them too.

I'm sure I have some things already, and I have a good sized duffle bag I could store it all in. I live in a very tiny apartment, the hardest thing to find room for would be water and I'm pretty sure that's the most important thing. I'm going to have to take some time to think this through.

All the recent earthquakes have me on a moderate alert, as I live on the Ring of Fire and they say Oregon is due for a big one. Even if it's off the coast, if there's flooding it'll go right up the Willamette River and into my front yard. Part of the river is just a stone's throw away from me.

I'm not scared, I just want to be a little prepared so this is my next project as my situation allows.
For water don't get the gallon jugs as the plastic decays and eventually they start leaking. There are safe water storage containers on Amazon, if you have room. Amazon also has solar rechargeable lights and flashlights so you don't have to worry about matches, batteries, etc. They're inexpensive.

I've also seen hand crank generators for cell phones and so forth, but I haven't gotten one of those.

Stun guns are also inexpensive, though they're illegal in some areas. I don't think Oregon is one of them.