Any "preppers" out there?

XSLaura

Has anyone learned anything from the pandemic that would be good to share in this thread?

The biggest thing we found is keeping ahead on prescriptions and ordering refills as soon as they can be filled. We had a couple of close calls with Dad's meds. The pharmacy had them, but the insurance company was so understaffed/behind that authorizations were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow, mostly because of the phone system at the insurance company. New prescriptions/those coming from actual hospitals were higher priority than refills and prescriptions coming from doctors' offices. Also, sometimes there was a backlog of prescriptions to be filled at the pharmacy because people out sick. Mail order refills have been coming more quickly than usual, so much better than going in person and waiting for literally hours (now probably about an hour or so). Mail order prescriptions also coming faster from the VA, so maybe the mail prioritizing prescriptions.

So what has everyone else learned/relearned?
I am a minimalist in most areas but this pandemic situation has shown me there are some things I want and need to have extra of incase something happens to interfere with the supply chains. Prior to this I shopped for essentials as I needed them. Thankfully when I first heard about Covid (before it actually hit the USA) the Lord impressed upon me to go get some essential items to last me a month or so. And now I try to make sure those things do not run in short supply

athenasius

Has anyone learned anything from the pandemic that would be good to share in this thread?

The biggest thing we found is keeping ahead on prescriptions and ordering refills as soon as they can be filled. We had a couple of close calls with Dad's meds. The pharmacy had them, but the insurance company was so understaffed/behind that authorizations were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow, mostly because of the phone system at the insurance company. New prescriptions/those coming from actual hospitals were higher priority than refills and prescriptions coming from doctors' offices. Also, sometimes there was a backlog of prescriptions to be filled at the pharmacy because people out sick. Mail order refills have been coming more quickly than usual, so much better than going in person and waiting for literally hours (now probably about an hour or so). Mail order prescriptions also coming faster from the VA, so maybe the mail prioritizing prescriptions.

So what has everyone else learned/relearned?
I've increased my pantry supplies. I decluttered enough space on my shelves with that in mind, and I'm glad of it. I've gone from keeping 1 case of Costco toilet paper on hand to 2 or 3. When we break into one, I shop for a replacement. We had shortages again last month, but our stockpile sees us thru.

I don't like to keep too much on hand, but the shortages seem to happen in waves and sometimes odd stuff. Like diet Ginger Ale. So we keep stocked up ahead in all our most used things.

George and I stockpile our Rx meds because long before Covid there were shortages, and that meant we weathered the shortage on his brain tumour drug fall of 2019 by the Grace of God. And our pharmacist Lynette was hunting everywhere on our behalf. I like having a bit ahead stashed.

I tend to shop for replacements in clothing as I see something wearing out, but sometimes it takes a while to find the replacements even for the bog standard boring basics like the black pants I like. Cotton was in short supply for a few years, and the rayon they were using in it's place just is awful-- it pills, shrinks, wrinkles and fades.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
I'm increasing my food storage supplies right now. I got myself a food saver, and some more glass mason jars for canning, so if we have a good harvest this year, we can save a good bit of it. I bought some winter gear on steep clearance (about $2.50 for a set of gloves and a matching scarf that will go nicely with my winter coat.) I would like to get even more jars and lids, and a railroad type of kerosene lantern, so that if I need to use it outside I can. We have one, but I would like to have one for each person in the house. We have the kerosene already for the glass oil lamps we keep in the house. I would also like to get an outdoor stove ready. we have a barbeque grill, but I want something that will use wood. I think we're more or less set for clothing.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I'm increasing my food storage supplies right now. I got myself a food saver, and some more glass mason jars for canning, so if we have a good harvest this year, we can save a good bit of it. I bought some winter gear on steep clearance (about $2.50 for a set of gloves and a matching scarf that will go nicely with my winter coat.) I would like to get even more jars and lids, and a railroad type of kerosene lantern, so that if I need to use it outside I can. We have one, but I would like to have one for each person in the house. We have the kerosene already for the glass oil lamps we keep in the house. I would also like to get an outdoor stove ready. we have a barbeque grill, but I want something that will use wood. I think we're more or less set for clothing.

Does your food saver work to keep produce fresh from one day to the next? I'm looking for a way to keep avocados from turning after they've been cut because we don't use one all at once. I've been wrapping tightly in plastic wrap and then sealing in a zip loc sandwich bag. 3-4 days max, but I end up trimming the brown off each day when I make salad, so a little of each one gets wasted :frown

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Does your food saver work to keep produce fresh from one day to the next? I'm looking for a way to keep avocados from turning after they've been cut because we don't use one all at once. I've been wrapping tightly in plastic wrap and then sealing in a zip loc sandwich bag. 3-4 days max, but I end up trimming the brown off each day when I make salad, so a little of each one gets wasted :frown
I don't know- I'm still learning how to use it. But one lady I met in the store while shopping in Wal*Mart mentioned that you could keep avocadoes fresh by keeping the open side stored under water, since the browning is caused by oxidation. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds plausible to me.

Usually, I eat what I want of an avocado, set it down unwrapped on the counter, and when I come back later, someone in the house has made it magically disappear (down their pie holes.)

athenasius

If I left a cut avocado on the counter, Dad would get mad and yell :cry

I don't do well with getting yelled at by family or bosses, although it was easy to ignore on the street.
Try leaving the big pit thingy inside the half you don't want to use right away and cover with plastic. That or a little lemon juice will keep it from browning and going mushy.

I buy mine and leave them out on the counter till they are softened and nearly ripe, then I refrigerate them. It keeps them at their peak for a few more days so I can take advantage of the savings on a bag of 4 or 5.

When I cut one in half, I leave the pit in the other half, and wrap it and refrigerate it. But lemon will do too.

LindaLove

I have a food saver and each 2-3 small avocados a week and I'm looking for a way to only eat half a a day and save the remaining half for more than a day. I will try the food saver and let you know how it works. It does work great for romaine and spinach. You place the washed and dried greens in a mason jar and use the food saver to suck out all the air and seal the metal jar tops, so I would think this would work great for the avocados. I will try this in the next few days and let you know how it worked. Really great idea, thank you! :)

Lynn

Longing for Home
I've been wrapping tightly in plastic wrap and then sealing in a zip loc sandwich bag. 3-4 days max, but I end up trimming the brown off each day when I make salad, so a little of each one gets wasted.
Ghoti, if you leave the seed inside of the cavity of the remaining half, sprinkle a little lemon juice over it, then seal it up in your usual way, I think you'll see that it stays fresh longer. Not much trouble to freeze them, too.
PS: I just now realize that Athenasius posted the same suggestion up thread.

athenasius

Ghoti, if you leave the seed inside of the cavity of the remaining half, sprinkle a little lemon juice over it, then seal it up in your usual way, I think you'll see that it stays fresh longer. Not much trouble to freeze them, too.
PS: I just now realize that Athenasius posted the same suggestion up thread.
I'll try freezing them thanks Lynn, I get them for a good deal at Costco and I only like to eat a half or quarter per day while I have them and G doesn't care for them. That is a terrific idea.