Any "preppers" out there?

BeautyForAshes

Curious to know if anyone else is into emergency prep? In the event of a tornado or some other natural disaster I think it's good to have a little extra water and food on hand for an emergency. At least enough for a week. I'm not really into prepping, but would like to store a few canned goods and some bottled water. Trying to come up with a list of useful items to have on hand.

Last edited:

maryrae

Hi Jenny,
I can't say that I'm a hard core "prepper", but, having lived as the daughter of, and now a wife of, a farmer, we always seem to have "a bit extra" on hand of food stuffs, but that's about it.
It's just prudent. Now, for those who are unemployed, seniors, disabled, etc., it's a different story. While we are absolutely not wealthy, we have been able to keep some ahead. When and if disaster does strike, I believe our "extra" can be shared as we are able. :)

BeautyForAshes

That's a good idea Mary Rae! We too have a few elderly people here who might need help in an emergency.

I did do a little extra shopping this week... mainly I picked up some extra canned goods and some bottled water enough to last a week or so. I don't have a big pantry, so we're limited with space unfortunately.

Last edited:

Kem

Citizen
Having some extra food, water, batteries, generator and gasoline on hand is just wisdom in my opinion. The weather is uncertain and the power can go out at any time here especially in the winter. I do not prep with the tribulation period in mind as I have no plans to be here but what might transpire before then is anyone's guess. We have a couple of kerosene lamps also with extra oil and wicks just in case. I've used them a number of times when the power was out. The outdoor solar lights can be brought in at night for emergency lighting and make a great bathroom light.

We have a wood stove that we love in winter and it is a great comfort in those just in case situations. It is important to have some basic first aid supplies on hand. Last winter a neighbor had a fractured ankle and could not be taken to the hospital for two days as the roads were all clogged with snow and the town plows couldn't even get down the road. She was moved via snowmobile but the roads were not cleared for almost 5 days.

Last edited:

maryrae

Yesterday at the nursing home I talked to the cook about processing foods in a pressure canner. I'm putting foods away that we like. It's not like the prepping you see on tv.
.... and I am 100% sure that it doesn't have to be "as seen on TV".....
God gave us common sense, vmoon. I pretty sure, in fact, I know He will guide each one of us as to what if anything we need to do. He knows our material needs very well, and will supply them. He's promised us that. I think many (not all, but many) Christians today have forgotten the first part of the verse from the portion of Scripture that tells us not to worry about food, clothing or shelter...... Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness .... and all these things will be added unto you.

moosejive

I always pick up extra jars of peanut butter when on sale at the store ad rotate them out to the church's food pantry a while before the expiration date, as well as other long term staples that are a good buy on sale...like dried noodles, pasta sauce, etc. Honey is also something that keeps forever and has other uses beyond food, as Kem said. Definitely, not the hardcore type as seen on TV, as most people aren't well to do enough to go all out like that and we trust in The Lord to care and help us when we need it.

Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?

Recently, I've taken up 'prepping'. It's become a hobby of sorts, yet one I consider very practical. You never know when a tornado or some other disaster could befall your town or city and I think it's nice to be prepared in the event of an emergency. Curious to know if anyone else is a prepper here and if you have any favorite tips you could to share!
I have an unsaved family and I have pretty much tried to prepare my family for several months (hopefully longer) of dire circumstances. I have a lot of flour (20lb bags at sams for like $10), sugar, canned goods, an abundance of canned tomatoes from a great harvest, rice, a small generator and solar panel (my biggest purchase). I have printed out a lot of prophecy and salvation pages and extra bibles. I don't have an answer for keeping warm (I'm in the north), but I've done the best I can with what I've got. Even if the economy crashes and we are still here, we should be good for quite a while.

I know there are people out there who poo poo stocking up. They say we are not trusting God. I would remind them of the story of Joseph who was given a dream of 7 years of abundance and 7 years of famine. He put away for the lean years as a good steward.

Hol

Worships Him
I always pick up extra jars of peanut butter when on sale at the store ad rotate them out to the church's food pantry a while before the expiration date, as well as other long term staples that are a good buy on sale...like dried noodles, pasta sauce, etc. Honey is also something that keeps forever and has other uses beyond food, as Kem said. Definitely, not the hardcore type as seen on TV, as most people aren't well to do enough to go all out like that and we trust in The Lord to care and help us when we need it.

Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?
Buying some more raw honey!

I try to stock up, but haven't got much extra space. I'd pray I could make it to my favorite camping spot where there is lots of water. :pray

caligal

We have an older fridge in the garage stocked with bottled water and some more in the freezer. My pantries have lots of cereal that can be eaten without milk. Even though they are sugary, it is food and Mac thinks I have too many cans of beans :D and soups. I keep the dry noodle soups stocked up too. I have lots peanut butter and jelly, dried beef and stuff like that in case Mac doesn't get to go with us. He is RCC fallout but still believes alot of the Mary stuff. I know he believes in Jesus, but will not talk about salvation. He still thinks good people get to go to heaven.:oops:

When I no longer take a med I put it in a drawer in my closet. You never know when someone will barter something you need for them. Not addictive drugs though, we toss those. I have other stuff too like bandages and shower caps and face masks and such.

Patiently...

I do what my Mom and her Mom and for generations have done. Can enough for a year's use and dry some in case the next year's harvest is bad. I've been canning meats and soups and fruits and vegetables for years. I also have been stocking up on staples for the last few years, rotating inventory as I go. It's more of a hobby (?) than prepping. I just enjoy doing it. I think we could last at least 3 years. If the rapture happens, someone (hopefully not my son) will be able to eat at least.

Barbasol

We have an older fridge in the garage stocked with bottled water and some more in the freezer. My pantries have lots of cereal that can be eaten without milk. Even though they are sugary, it is food and Mac thinks I have too many cans of beans :D and soups. I keep the dry noodle soups stocked up too. I have lots peanut butter and jelly, dried beef and stuff like that in case Mac doesn't get to go with us. He is RCC fallout but still believes alot of the Mary stuff. I know he believes in Jesus, but will not talk about salvation. He still thinks good people get to go to heaven.:oops:

When I no longer take a med I put it in a drawer in my closet. You never know when someone will barter something you need for them. Not addictive drugs though, we toss those. I have other stuff too like bandages and shower caps and face masks and such.
Praying for your Mac to look to Jesus alone for salvation.:pray