Any Christians here that celebrate Passover?

livin_in_the_Son

I'm asking for a reason actually....but not to start a heated debate.

As a catholic, we did stations of the cross on Good Friday (or maybe that was thursday, I can't remember) but anyways, we never 'celebrated' the crucifixion due to the solumness of the occasion. Since being born-again, I've noticed some churches have a Good Friday service, others open for quite prayer, even more just do nothing.

My husband works with a man, who says he's a believer, but buys in 100% to all the FUD sites out there. On saturday, my husband said this man was walking around all serious and quite, and when my husband asked him what was wrong, he said it was the holiday. (Easter?) and my husband said that this man got all huffy and said very vehemently, "No, the passover of Our Lord Jesus Christ".

Now I completely understand the symbolism between the two...Jesus being the sacrificial lamb that frees us from our bondage (sin), and the Passover holiday being when the slaves were freed from Egypt. But I have NEVER met anyone that wasn't Jewish who celebrated Passover.

So does anyone here do it?

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I do not celebrate Passover; but I never separate in my mind that the slaying of the paschal lamb on Passover was the earthly type of the slaying of the Lamb on Good Friday. I call the holiday Easter, but not because of the fact that the word derived from the name of the goddess, Ishtar. To refuse to call Easter Easter is to me as silly as it would be to refuse to call the days of the weeks by their names because they are actually the names of old Norse gods— Moon day, Tiu's day, Woden's day, Thor's day, Fria's day, Sun day ... Saturday was from the Roman "Saturn" day). But calling it Easter does not detract or distract from what it is— the memorial of the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord, three days in our calendar when we have presented to us in physical form the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

So I do not go through the earthly activities of the Seder, neither do I go through the liturgical activities of various churches. I simply worship in adoration the One who sacrificed everything for me. And, frankly, that is something we should do every day of the year.

makememeek

Jesus Christ is my perfect Passover.

As John the Baptizer said, "Behold the Lamb of God that taketh
away the sins of the world."

I'm amazed that Catholics believe that they actually partake of
the literal body and blood of Christ in their mass.
If that were true (which it isn't), then John the Baptist was looking at someone who had wool instead of hair covering his flesh, and had
four legs instead of two.

Betty

I have met Christians who chose to celebrate Passover. We do not. We did go to Good Friday Service at my son's Church and Easter Service at my Church.
betty

livin_in_the_Son

I was just floored by such an angry response from a supposed believer. I have never heard anyone get angry about the word 'Easter', but more because I never knew anyone that celebrated Passover, but not Easter. It confused me.

I have warned my husband off from discussing current events with this man because he oozes doom and gloom, and never tempers it with the hope of the rapture, etc. so I was wondering if maybe this man really wasn't a true believer at all.

Betty

I know a few people who look down on Christians who celebrate Eater as being weak lacking spiritual growth Christians. Trust me I am not the brightest light bulb in a package but I don't think God is offended by Christians celebrating the resurrection of Jesus, despite the Christian that told me that Churches that do that are in trouble.
betty

livin_in_the_Son

Well, to be honest, I have always felt that withoutJesus' resurrection, His crucifixion meant nothing. It wasn't His death, but the combination of His death AND resurrection that secured our hope....

daygo

We in our church did, we did a 3 day talk on the feasts then did a sort of re-enactment if thats the right word of the passover, which i thought were quite good. :((

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Well, to be honest, I have always felt that without Jesus' resurrection, His crucifixion meant nothing. It wasn't His death, but the combination of His death AND resurrection that secured our hope....
Indeed! The Cross and the Resurrection cannot be separated. At the Cross the victory was won and EVERYTHING secured for us. In the Resurrection the sufficiency of the sacrifice was confirmed and we were assured of EVERY promise, both now and in eternity. :yeah:

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
I enjoy recognizing by remembrance Good Friday and Easter, of course. Good Friday drives home the Crucifixion and what it costs our Lord in payment for our sin. It should have been us receiving the pain and penalty for our sin but He took it instead. I have celebrated Christ as our Passover through re-enacting the Seder for a richer understanding of what the feast meant and how it pointed to Jesus as the Messiah.

"Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us." 1 Corinthians 5:7

"The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!" Jn. 1:29

Why not Revelation 5:1-14 (NKJV)
A glorious Testimony to Who that Passover Lamb is-was-and will always be! (Along with some other pretty cool names as well!)
[SUP]1 [/SUP]And I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a scroll written inside and on the back, sealed with seven seals. [SUP]2 [/SUP]Then I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, "Who is worthy to open the scroll and to loose its seals?" [SUP]3 [/SUP]And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll, or to look at it. [SUP]4 [/SUP]So I wept much, because no one was found worthy to open and read the scroll, or to look at it. [SUP]5 [/SUP]But one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals." [SUP]6 [/SUP]And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth. [SUP]7 [/SUP]Then He came and took the scroll out of the right hand of Him who sat on the throne. [SUP]8 [/SUP]Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. [SUP]9 [/SUP]And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, [SUP]10 [/SUP]And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth." [SUP]11 [/SUP]Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, [SUP]12 [/SUP]saying with a loud voice: "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain To receive power and riches and wisdom, And strength and honor and glory and blessing!" [SUP]13 [/SUP]And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: "Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!" [SUP]14 [/SUP]Then the four living creatures said, "Amen!" And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever.

Glory to Christ!

FaithInChrist

We had a Seder dinner at church. I have never been to a Seder dinner before and I found the entire process so educational and I felt so close to the Lord, to see His last supper unfold before me left me choking on emotions more than once. I would do it again every year, it was incredible.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, especially the symbolism of the Afikomen! \o/ Incredible that they cannot see it. It is so plain!!!

ShawnyK

I don't celebrate Passover, but my family and I recognize Passover and old testament festivals as Blessing periods. I just think its important as Christians to recognize where our beliefs originated. I think Passover is symbolic for Christians too because Jesus actually had Passover dinner and that was the last supper. it's interesting and amazing at how that old testament story actually foretold who Jesus was and why he died. Even though it's not a requirement for us to do, but I think it's highly important for us to recognize it in terms of the significance of how Passover marks the transition of the old testament into the new in Jesus Christ. how he was our lamb and his blood was shed for our protection.

Lynn

A few years ago, we had a Seder in our home for a few friends and our son's family. There were prepared readings that were read, explaining the passover picture in the OT when the Israelites were in Egypt, preparing to leave, and how this was a glorious picture of our Savior, Jesus, the perfect Passover Lamb. I love commemorating Passover, though we haven't done it since then. I hope to do so next year with a group of people who attend some Bible studies taught by my dh. I think they would love it, too, as they are earnestly wanting to understand as much as they can from Scripture.