Another Accidental Shooting in Minneapolis

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
A police officer fatally shot a Black man, identified as Daunte Wright, after he was pulled over in a Minneapolis suburb Sunday, leading to clashes between protesters and law enforcement. On Monday, the police chief for the city of Brooklyn Center said the unidentified officer intended to use her Taser but instead grabbed her gun and shot Wright.

During a press conference, police released bodycam video of the shooting. In the video, the officer who shot Wright shouted "Taser" multiple times before firing her gun at Wright at close range while Wright was in the driver's seat.

"I just shot him," the officer said as the car drove away.
Sunday's shooting happened in the midst of the Derek Chauvin trial for the killing of George Floyd.

Police said the incident occurred just before 2 p.m. Sunday. After Wright was pulled over, police determined there was an outstanding warrant for him. When they tried to arrest him, he got back in his vehicle, and the unidentified officer fired at Wright. Police said his vehicle traveled several blocks before hitting another one.

Wright was pronounced dead at the scene. No one in the second vehicle was hurt.

A crowd began to gather at the crash scene later in the afternoon. Just after 6 p.m., protesters tore down crime scene tape, with the crowd and the victim's family demanding answers from law enforcement, CBS Minnesota reports.

more at
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/daunte-wright-killed-police-brooklyn-center-minnesota-protests/

Suzyq5

A police officer fatally shot a Black man, identified as Daunte Wright, after he was pulled over in a Minneapolis suburb Sunday, leading to clashes between protesters and law enforcement. On Monday, the police chief for the city of Brooklyn Center said the unidentified officer intended to use her Taser but instead grabbed her gun and shot Wright.

During a press conference, police released bodycam video of the shooting. In the video, the officer who shot Wright shouted "Taser" multiple times before firing her gun at Wright at close range while Wright was in the driver's seat.

"I just shot him," the officer said as the car drove away.
Sunday's shooting happened in the midst of the Derek Chauvin trial for the killing of George Floyd.

Police said the incident occurred just before 2 p.m. Sunday. After Wright was pulled over, police determined there was an outstanding warrant for him. When they tried to arrest him, he got back in his vehicle, and the unidentified officer fired at Wright. Police said his vehicle traveled several blocks before hitting another one.

Wright was pronounced dead at the scene. No one in the second vehicle was hurt.

A crowd began to gather at the crash scene later in the afternoon. Just after 6 p.m., protesters tore down crime scene tape, with the crowd and the victim's family demanding answers from law enforcement, CBS Minnesota reports.

more at
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/daunte-wright-killed-police-brooklyn-center-minnesota-protests/
I thought tasers were on one side of belt and gun on the other side to avoid this happening. Sad unnecessary incident

Leigh

I watched the press conference this afternoon. So heartbreaking for everyone involved. I feel horrible for his family. I feel horrible for the officer who shot him, as it does appear to be accidental. Even the chief of police was nervous and emotional as he answered questions. With the Chauvin trial that's underway, this only adds fuel to the fire in Minneapolis.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
My initial comments on this are in the Chauvin Trial thread, since this incident was brought up there last night. There was *unrest* in Brooklyn Center last night :mad

Fortunately activists and the family are calling for calm, but this is at least the 5th high profile police shooting in the Twin Cities in the last few years.

Training hasn't significantly changed in over 50 years, departments aren't hiring diverse officers (not just race), police departments have macho command climates and formal/informal reward systems, etc., etc., etc.

There is no excuse for mistaking one's firearm for a TASER. TASERs are supposed to be worn/carried in such a way that this doesn't happen/is far less likely to happen: opposite side or back, drop holster, or on/in-the-vest.

There's some other things about this incident that bother me/seem wrong, but I want to know more before I make up my mind.

:furious :rant :mad :wild :frust :cry

:soapbox

Ghoti Ichthus

@Ghoti Ichthus :-( why an angry emoticon on my post? I wish we didn't have a mad face one, b/c I am not sure if you are mad at me personally for what I wrote, or the fact another person was killed by a cop when it shouldn't have happened.

Angry about yet another officer-involved shooting here. Not mad at @ByGod'sGrace :hug I don't always agree with other people and other people don't always agree with me, and that's OK. We all learn from each other :smile Sometimes it's hard because we aren't in person (without masks), so hard to read people sometimes.

Ghoti Ichthus

Back