Another Accidental Shooting in Minneapolis

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Mr. Wright should not have got back into the car which was a fatal mistake for him, and the officer should have known the difference even in the feel of the 2 different guns. Someone may try to go after the officer as in harm her. Wright also had a 2 year old son, and parents do not believe their son was shot by mistake.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

Daunte Wright Shooting Puts Pressure On Minnesota Legislature To Pass More Police Reforms

Banning chokeholds, etc., adding the word "judicious" to the deadly force requirements, authorizing incentives for officers to live in the jurisdictions in which they serve,
Here we go again, trying to make officers live where they work, which can and does cause serious conflicts of interest, safety issues for officers and their families, limits academic choices for officers' children, especially those, who are gifted or special needs, and can and does create serious, adverse economic, transportation, employment, and social impacts on officers' families :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...sota-legislature-to-pass-more-police-reforms/

:pray :pray :amen :amen

lightofmylife

Related update: Geraldo Rivera just called Dan Bongino a "son of a b****" on Hannity (while covering the riots).
Geraldo said he had the answer: "Switch taser location to dominant hand side". All right, the important issue here is: "Is Footsteps smarter than Geraldo?" I assert that I am, because I have watched enough Gunsmoke to know why that won't work - even my alert idea was (somewhat) superior.
Bongino was mad at Geraldo because Geraldo justified the riots because of racism. Dan said Geraldo didn't know what he was talking about so Geraldo called Dan a "son of a b****". Dan said "You wouldn't call me that to my face." Then they went to a commercial break. This concludes my nightly riot update.
We watch Hannity all the time, and those 2 don't click! :ohno

Andy C

Here's the local news coverage:

Daunte Wright Shooting: Fmr. Brooklyn Center Officer Kim Potter Arrested, Charged With Manslaughter

"Second-degree manslaughter is defined by Minnesota law as “when someone acts with negligence, creating an unreasonable risk that causes death or great bodily harm.”

"If Potter is found guilty of the second-degree murder charge, she could face up to 10 years in prison. She is due to make her first court appearance at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday."

"According to the timeline of events given in the complaint, six seconds passed between Potter saying she’d Taser Wright to when she fired the single round from her handgun.
A Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigator collected and reviewed Potter’s duty belt, and saw that her handgun is holstered on the right side of the belt and her Taser is on the left side. The grips, or handles of the Taser and handgun face Potter’s rear, and the Taser is yellow with a black grip. The investigator noted that the Taser is in a straight-draw position, meaning she would have had to use her left hand to draw the Taser out of the holster."

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...rrested-charged-with-2nd-degree-manslaughter/
I still have no clue how such a veteran officer can make such a “mistake”. Something does not pass the smell test, but its still early in all the facts coming out.

lightofmylife

Looking at it from a mother's point of view, this officer has two young adult sons (as I do), so knowing she accidentally killed a 20 year old young man must be devastating for her.
I read that she is 48 years old, if found guilty could serve 10 years in prison with a $20,000 fine. I found this out by looking up what does second degree manslaughter mean.

lightofmylife

Kim Potter is 48 years old, and was a police officer for 26 years. Why would she deliberately kill this 20 year old, and ruin her own life by going to prison and paying a fine? Some people will claim she is racist. Also, I looked up the meaning of second degree manslaughter which says if found guilty a 10 year prison sentence with a $20,000 fine.

NewWine2020

It seems like she was confused and panicked grabbing the wrong weapon. Her mind wasn't concentrating that even the feel of the weapon was the wrong one. Her instincts was not sharpened at the time!

From YouTube comments I've seen on this, some folks claiming a law enforcement background say that this type of accident is surprisingly common, just not reported on. It still seems incredible to me and it could not have happened at a worse time or a worse location to set race relations back even further.

lightofmylife

"Reported on" is spot on. We have already seen the subject replay a hundred times and there will be hundreds more. Speeches made. Family outrage. So - why doesn't the media even know the name of the Capitol policeman that killed Ashli Babbitt? You know, the one who won't even receive a reprimand for killing that unarmed woman trying to climb through a window.
Could it be it is being covered up to protect the one that killed her? It is hard to believe that there is no evidence as to who shot her. I am not buying it!

NewWine2020

"Reported on" is spot on. We have already seen the subject replay a hundred times and there will be hundreds more. Speeches made. Family outrage. So - why doesn't the media even know the name of the Capitol policeman that killed Ashli Babbitt? You know, the one who won't even receive a reprimand for killing that unarmed woman trying to climb through a window.

That Ashli Babbitt thing was just strange on so many levels...Personally I think that there was a lot of stuff that went on in the background around that which people do not want the public to know.

Yeah, it sounds “conspiracy-ish” but I really think she was set up by lib provocateurs in the crowd and that the officer was actually in on it. Maybe someone representing Pelosi or Soros got ahold of him and blackmailed him or paid him off and told the cop would “be taken care of and protected”...something.

She was no threat whatsoever. It’s 100% criminal that we the people do not know the identity of the cop “hero” who fired the shot to stop what that libs still try to misrepresent as the worst assault on democracy in the history of our country.

For all we know maybe he was not even an actual police officer?

Ghoti Ichthus

I dont buy lack of training. 26 years on the job.....100 percent completely avoidable accident.

If she was relegated to "safe" duties (i.e., admin, training, etc.) it's entirely possible she missed out on a lot of training that "street" officers got. She would have also missed out on the experience that officers with street duties got.

According to CNN, "Potter, 48, was with the Brooklyn Center Police Department for 26 years, according to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. She joined the department in 1995, according to the Star Tribune newspaper in Minneapolis.
She served as the police union's president in 2019, had been on the department's negotiation team and worked as field training officer, the Tribune reported.
She was placed on administrative leave after Sunday's shooting.
The BCA said additional personnel information is not public under state law during the investigation of the shooting."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/13/us/kim-potter-daunte-wright-police-shooting/index.html

"According to the complaint from the Washington County Attorney's Office: Potter was training Brooklyn Center officer Anthony Luckey when they pulled over a white Buick at N. 63rd and Orchard avenues in Brooklyn Center at 1:53 p.m. Sunday. Luckey identified the driver as Wright, and while doing a records check discovered a warrant for a gross misdemeanor weapons charge."

https://www.startribune.com/officer...charge-in-killing-of-daunte-wright/600045829/

It looks to me on the video that the new officer failed to move the suspect away from the driver's door, and failed to close the door, to prevent the suspect from getting back into the vehicle, and the training officer failed to immediately correct/have the officer correct this as a safety issue to both officers and the public :frown

I've been a field training officer and supervised other field training officers . . . I've also chased a suspect into his car when he attempted to escape another officer on much the same scenario (other officers went to the other side of the car to block egress). No weapon or use of force needed, no drive/off or pursuit, no injuries . . .

Here's the charging document. On page 2, confirmation that the driver's door was open and the suspect was by the driver's door :frown
https://www.startribune.com/brookly...te-wright-minnesota-taser-shooting/600045971/

The official account of the incident is on page 2 of the charging document.

Ghoti Ichthus

In tense situations some police have thought they were pulling their radio trigger and shot somebody. Most accidents are avoidable, and easily understood - in hindsight. And there will be a lot of hindsight here.
Agreed. And per SCOTUS, decisions can only be evaluated by what the officer knew at the time, rather than 20-20 hindsight/Monday morning quarterbacking.

However, the issue here isn't the decision to use a TASER, the issue is using a firearm when the intent was to use a TASER.

Andy C

If she was relegated to "safe" duties (i.e., admin, training, etc.) it's entirely possible she missed out on a lot of training that "street" officers got. She would have also missed out on the experience that officers with street duties got.

According to CNN, "Potter, 48, was with the Brooklyn Center Police Department for 26 years, according to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. She joined the department in 1995, according to the Star Tribune newspaper in Minneapolis.
She served as the police union's president in 2019, had been on the department's negotiation team and worked as field training officer, the Tribune reported.
She was placed on administrative leave after Sunday's shooting.
The BCA said additional personnel information is not public under state law during the investigation of the shooting."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/13/us/kim-potter-daunte-wright-police-shooting/index.html

"According to the complaint from the Washington County Attorney's Office: Potter was training Brooklyn Center officer Anthony Luckey when they pulled over a white Buick at N. 63rd and Orchard avenues in Brooklyn Center at 1:53 p.m. Sunday. Luckey identified the driver as Wright, and while doing a records check discovered a warrant for a gross misdemeanor weapons charge."

https://www.startribune.com/officer...charge-in-killing-of-daunte-wright/600045829/

It looks to me on the video that the new officer failed to move the suspect away from the driver's door, and failed to close the door, to prevent the suspect from getting back into the vehicle, and the training officer failed to immediately correct/have the officer correct this as a safety issue to both officers and the public :frown

I've been a field training officer and supervised other field training officers . . . I've also chased a suspect into his car when he attempted to escape another officer on much the same scenario (other officers went to the other side of the car to block egress). No weapon or use of force needed, no drive/off or pursuit, no injuries . . .

Here's the charging document. On page 2, confirmation that the driver's door was open and the suspect was by the driver's door :frown
https://www.startribune.com/brookly...te-wright-minnesota-taser-shooting/600045971/

The official account of the incident is on page 2 of the charging document.

Praying the facts of the case will be properly used in the court of law, and these facts alone, not the emotions of the incensed, will be used in determing guilt or innocence.

Ghoti Ichthus

It seems like she was confused and panicked grabbing the wrong weapon. Her mind wasn't concentrating that even the feel of the weapon was the wrong one. Her instincts was not sharpened at the time!

An officer, especially a field training officer, who is responsible for the training officer, as well as herself, cannot panic or not concentrate/pay close attention.

Back