Another Accidental Shooting in Minneapolis

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Kim Potter is 48 years old, and was a police officer for 26 years. Why would she deliberately kill this 20 year old, and ruin her own life by going to prison and paying a fine? Some people will claim she is racist. Also, I looked up the meaning of second degree manslaughter which says if found guilty a 10 year prison sentence with a $20,000 fine.

NewWine2020

It seems like she was confused and panicked grabbing the wrong weapon. Her mind wasn't concentrating that even the feel of the weapon was the wrong one. Her instincts was not sharpened at the time!

From YouTube comments I've seen on this, some folks claiming a law enforcement background say that this type of accident is surprisingly common, just not reported on. It still seems incredible to me and it could not have happened at a worse time or a worse location to set race relations back even further.

Footsteps

"Reported on" is spot on. We have already seen the subject replay a hundred times and there will be hundreds more. Speeches made. Family outrage. So - why doesn't the media even know the name of the Capitol policeman that killed Ashli Babbitt? You know, the one who won't even receive a reprimand for killing that unarmed woman trying to climb through a window.

lightofmylife

"Reported on" is spot on. We have already seen the subject replay a hundred times and there will be hundreds more. Speeches made. Family outrage. So - why doesn't the media even know the name of the Capitol policeman that killed Ashli Babbitt? You know, the one who won't even receive a reprimand for killing that unarmed woman trying to climb through a window.
Could it be it is being covered up to protect the one that killed her? It is hard to believe that there is no evidence as to who shot her. I am not buying it!

NewWine2020

That Ashli Babbitt thing was just strange on so many levels...Personally I think that there was a lot of stuff that went on in the background around that which people do not want the public to know.

Yeah, it sounds “conspiracy-ish” but I really think she was set up by lib provocateurs in the crowd and that the officer was actually in on it. Maybe someone representing Pelosi or Soros got ahold of him and blackmailed him or paid him off and told the cop would “be taken care of and protected”...something.

She was no threat whatsoever. It’s 100% criminal that we the people do not know the identity of the cop “hero” who fired the shot to stop what that libs still try to misrepresent as the worst assault on democracy in the history of our country.

For all we know maybe he was not even an actual police officer?

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I dont buy lack of training. 26 years on the job.....100 percent completely avoidable accident.

If she was relegated to "safe" duties (i.e., admin, training, etc.) it's entirely possible she missed out on a lot of training that "street" officers got. She would have also missed out on the experience that officers with street duties got.

According to CNN, "Potter, 48, was with the Brooklyn Center Police Department for 26 years, according to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. She joined the department in 1995, according to the Star Tribune newspaper in Minneapolis.
She served as the police union's president in 2019, had been on the department's negotiation team and worked as field training officer, the Tribune reported.
She was placed on administrative leave after Sunday's shooting.
The BCA said additional personnel information is not public under state law during the investigation of the shooting."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/13/us/kim-potter-daunte-wright-police-shooting/index.html

"According to the complaint from the Washington County Attorney's Office: Potter was training Brooklyn Center officer Anthony Luckey when they pulled over a white Buick at N. 63rd and Orchard avenues in Brooklyn Center at 1:53 p.m. Sunday. Luckey identified the driver as Wright, and while doing a records check discovered a warrant for a gross misdemeanor weapons charge."

https://www.startribune.com/officer...charge-in-killing-of-daunte-wright/600045829/

It looks to me on the video that the new officer failed to move the suspect away from the driver's door, and failed to close the door, to prevent the suspect from getting back into the vehicle, and the training officer failed to immediately correct/have the officer correct this as a safety issue to both officers and the public :frown

I've been a field training officer and supervised other field training officers . . . I've also chased a suspect into his car when he attempted to escape another officer on much the same scenario (other officers went to the other side of the car to block egress). No weapon or use of force needed, no drive/off or pursuit, no injuries . . .

Here's the charging document. On page 2, confirmation that the driver's door was open and the suspect was by the driver's door :frown
https://www.startribune.com/brookly...te-wright-minnesota-taser-shooting/600045971/

The official account of the incident is on page 2 of the charging document.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Ghoti Ichthus

In tense situations some police have thought they were pulling their radio trigger and shot somebody. Most accidents are avoidable, and easily understood - in hindsight. And there will be a lot of hindsight here.
Agreed. And per SCOTUS, decisions can only be evaluated by what the officer knew at the time, rather than 20-20 hindsight/Monday morning quarterbacking.

However, the issue here isn't the decision to use a TASER, the issue is using a firearm when the intent was to use a TASER.

Andy C

If she was relegated to "safe" duties (i.e., admin, training, etc.) it's entirely possible she missed out on a lot of training that "street" officers got. She would have also missed out on the experience that officers with street duties got.

According to CNN, "Potter, 48, was with the Brooklyn Center Police Department for 26 years, according to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. She joined the department in 1995, according to the Star Tribune newspaper in Minneapolis.
She served as the police union's president in 2019, had been on the department's negotiation team and worked as field training officer, the Tribune reported.
She was placed on administrative leave after Sunday's shooting.
The BCA said additional personnel information is not public under state law during the investigation of the shooting."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/13/us/kim-potter-daunte-wright-police-shooting/index.html

"According to the complaint from the Washington County Attorney's Office: Potter was training Brooklyn Center officer Anthony Luckey when they pulled over a white Buick at N. 63rd and Orchard avenues in Brooklyn Center at 1:53 p.m. Sunday. Luckey identified the driver as Wright, and while doing a records check discovered a warrant for a gross misdemeanor weapons charge."

https://www.startribune.com/officer...charge-in-killing-of-daunte-wright/600045829/

It looks to me on the video that the new officer failed to move the suspect away from the driver's door, and failed to close the door, to prevent the suspect from getting back into the vehicle, and the training officer failed to immediately correct/have the officer correct this as a safety issue to both officers and the public :frown

I've been a field training officer and supervised other field training officers . . . I've also chased a suspect into his car when he attempted to escape another officer on much the same scenario (other officers went to the other side of the car to block egress). No weapon or use of force needed, no drive/off or pursuit, no injuries . . .

Here's the charging document. On page 2, confirmation that the driver's door was open and the suspect was by the driver's door :frown
https://www.startribune.com/brookly...te-wright-minnesota-taser-shooting/600045971/

The official account of the incident is on page 2 of the charging document.

Praying the facts of the case will be properly used in the court of law, and these facts alone, not the emotions of the incensed, will be used in determing guilt or innocence.

Ghoti Ichthus

It seems like she was confused and panicked grabbing the wrong weapon. Her mind wasn't concentrating that even the feel of the weapon was the wrong one. Her instincts was not sharpened at the time!

An officer, especially a field training officer, who is responsible for the training officer, as well as herself, cannot panic or not concentrate/pay close attention.

Ghoti Ichthus

Civil unrest and riots dying down . . . 60 arrests Tuesday night, 24 arrests last night.
Prayers, Gospel sharing, etc. continue at both Daunte Wright and George Floyd memorials.

Please pray for peace. The weather is getting nicer again, the weekend's coming, and the end of the Chauvin trial is approaching.

Footsteps

I'm glad you brought this up my friend because it reminds me of questions I have about this subject. I'm hoping that someone here who knows more about the Bible than I do can answer them. They might look like rhetorical questions but they are not; I think getting good answers to these questions is important, especially given the times we are living in. All of them refer to something much bigger than what is given literally in the question.

Should Christians treat the police that carry out the orders of a tyrannical regime as police ordained by God and submit to their authority? For example, if a person living in Nazi Germany hid Jews from the police, was he sinning against God? I assume the answer is no, but I'd like to know what Bible references tell us about this issue, so as to know where to draw the line in any given situation, and why.

If it is ok to not obey police who are carrying out the will of a tyrant, is it only ok to not obey their orders, or is it ok to resist them through violent action, like certain resistance movements have done? For example, would it have been a sin to commit violence against a Nazi death camp in order to slow down the mass murder it was committing?

If it would have been ok, what is the limit on what Christians should do about the mass murder of unborn babies (over 60 million so far)?

If it is ok to resist tyranny, at what point does it become ok? For example, a guy living in Germany under the Nazis sees the evil Nazism represents even before the Nazis consolidate their power and to him what is coming is obvious. But at that point the Nazis had not committed much overt evil and what violence they did commit was sold as being justified. After they had consolidated their power resistance was mostly futile, but a big enough effort might have been able to overthrow them before they had consolidated their power. So should Christians wait until the tyrant actually commits mass violence, or should the Christian seeing what's coming act preemptively?

I know of a case where a young woman (from a good Christian family) was kidnapped, raped, tortured, and killed; the killers kidnapped her in broad daylight by approaching her and telling her they were undercover police and wanted to ask her a few questions in their car. I have a feeling this is probably more common than we realize. So are Christians always supposed to be totally obedient to anyone who claims to be a police officer?

If it is ok to refuse to submit to what might be a fake police officer, or what seems to be a bad cop intending to commit violence against you, is it ok to fight back against police carrying out gun raids that the Constitution say are illegal, but a corrupt president, legislature, and courts say are legal?

Our founding fathers rebelled against the established government. Were they sinning when they did that?
I don't believe preemptively killing someone who you think may do great evil is right. God often lets many great evils play out before ending, for instance, Hitler's regime. A death camp guard named Hornig refused to slaughter Jews. He was placed in a concentration camp. He survived. Many Nazis who were caught conspiring against Hitler were killed. One soldier jumped on Hitler's back with grenades in each hand. Neither grenade exploded.
I think each individual has to decide at what point he must circumvent his "chain of command" to obey God's law when it is being violated. When Daniel's friends were thrown into the fiery furnace for not bowing to Nebuchadnezzar's image, God demonstrated His holiness and made Neb look like an idiot. We're in a different dispensation now but we are still to obey God not man. Your questions are many and I feel there are good responses already written by scholars that need to be posted to address these complexities.

Ghoti Ichthus

I don't believe preemptively killing someone who you think may do great evil is right. God often lets many great evils play out before ending, for instance, Hitler's regime. A death camp guard named Hornig refused to slaughter Jews. He was placed in a concentration camp. He survived. Many Nazis who were caught conspiring against Hitler were killed. One soldier jumped on Hitler's back with grenades in each hand. Neither grenade exploded.
I think each individual has to decide at what point he must circumvent his "chain of command" to obey God's law when it is being violated. When Daniel's friends were thrown into the fiery furnace for not bowing to Nebuchadnezzar's image, God demonstrated His holiness and made Neb look like an idiot. We're in a different dispensation now but we are still to obey God not man. Your questions are many and I feel there are good responses already written by scholars that need to be posted to address these complexities.
Tonight . . .

lightofmylife

There is one thing that signals to me that her intent was to taser Daunte Wright. Her own words taser, taser, taser. We watched Hannity last night which had Dan Bongino(ex-policeman) and Geraldo Rivera on there. Bongino said the taser is on the left, and the gun on the right. So Potter grabbed from the wrong direction. Also, the person that said Geraldo called Bongino a son of a b**** we didn't hear that so was that on the April 14th program? We heard Rivera call Bongino a punk.

Micki

MARANATHA!!
I hate to say it but as an 18 year police officer, this officer should be fired and prosecuted. I say this after seeing the body camera video. If I was the supervisor, of which I am at my agency, that would be my recommendation. Her actions are indefensible.
I also saw the body cam video. Since you did can you explain why there was no sound of a gunshot and no recoil after the officer allegedly fired her gun in error?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
It's a terrible situation all the way around. The guy shouldn't have run but didn't deserve to die. The officer should have known better but probably doesn't deserve what she will end up with. 2 lives ruined. Plus their families. So very sad. As for these rioters who are breaking into businesses and stealing and destroying property - well I won't say what my thoughts are on them right now. Cause they are not very nice thoughts.

I'll go ahead an say what I think should happen to rioters/looters: they should be shot whenever/wherever they're caught in the act of rioting. It's too dangerous for police to try and arrest people in a chaotic environment like that and law enforcement has a responsibility to protect the property and lives of the people in their communities. If the rioters/looters survive they should get a very long prison sentence and then should be on probation until they've paid back every penny for the damage they collectively caused.