Another Accidental Shooting in Minneapolis

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I remember a few months back seeing a local news report of a police shooting in Phoenix. A young man and woman (both white) were in a motel room at night playing a video game and getting loud. Someone heard them and thought it might be a domestic violence incident going on (it wasn't), so they called the police. Two officers came and knocked on the door, standing out of the way where the person inside couldn't see them if he looked through the peephole. When he answered the door he had a pistol in his hand, not being held in a threatening manner; this is prudent if someone knocks on your motel room door at night. As soon as the police saw the gun in his hand they opened fire on him, killing him. Even though the guy was not threatening them in any way the shooting was called justified (I haven't heard any more about it so I assume that hasn't changed).

If the guy shot by the police had been black, the incident would have made national news, and liberals would be outraged over what they would call another racist killing by police. Similarly, if George Floyd had been white, but everything else was exactly the same, his death would not have made national news.

Whether or not the above shooting is justified depends on applicable State statutes. Had this incident been in Illinois, this would have been a big problem for the officer. Had it been in Missouri, probably not a problem for the officer. No idea the law in Arizona at the time of the above incident.

I got yelled at for not shooting someone with a gun the morning after, but I had been able to de-escalate and resolve the situation without resorting to force. The guy was known to me as mentally ill and based on what I observed on scene, didn't deserve or have to die. Had I not worked in Illinois, with its very restrictive/specific laws concerning police use of deadly force, before this incident (in Missouri), based on training and experience in Missouri, there's a good chance I would have shot the guy. Also, had I not had a laser on my duty weapon, there's a good chance I wouldn't have been able to de-escalate the situation. Chief was happy when he found out all the details and "unyelled" :smile and the guy was able to get the help he needed :smile

Laws, department policies, training, experience, and equipment can and do make a huge difference in outcomes. Sadly, in many places, training is not what it should be, and neither is the equipment (some departments do not issue or allow lasers on duty weapons and/or weapons-mounted lights).

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

Brooklyn Center, MN City Manager's been fired, and the Police Chief and Officer Potter have resigned. Officer Potter may face criminal charges.

"On Tuesday afternoon, Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike said he was “appreciative” that Potter submitted her resignation but that he had not asked for it. Elliott said he was not sure if it was because she had heard that she would soon be fired. He said he hoped her resignation would “bring some calm to the community,” but that he would keep working towards “full accountability under the law.”
“That’s what we’re going to continue to work for,” Elliott said. “We have to make sure that justice is served, justice is done. Daunte Wright deserves that, his family deserves that.”
The mayor said the new police leadership was committed to working with community leaders and protesters, who say Wright was racially profiled."

"Washington County Attorney Pete Orput said Tuesday afternoon that his office plans to make a decision on whether or not to file criminal charges against Potter by Wednesday."

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...esign-brooklyn-center-daunte-wright-shooting/

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

No more state-mandated curfew :smile but some municipalities have opted for them :mad

Protests and civil unrest continue. Last night, "40 people were arrested overnight in the Twin Cities for breaking curfew, fighting with police and attempted burglary during the second night of protests and unrest following Wright’s death. Officials say that some officers were hit with debris while clashing with demonstrators; a few suffered “minor injuries.”"

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...urfew-but-local-governments-have-that-option/

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

Brooklyn Center Residents Stepping Up During Crisis: ‘There’s An Energy Around This Community’

"MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Brooklyn Center is being put in a national spotlight, and that’s bringing out the best in many who live there.

Longkee Vang is a youth program coordinator at Brooklyn Center High School.

“There’s an energy around this community,” Vang said.

Vang, along with Tashawna Williams, is helping organize a community resource center that’s sprung up at the high school in the last two days. With many stores closed, Williams says they’ve served about 1,000 families, all through donations.

“We’ve been doing this work. It’s just something that we had to upscale during this time,” Williams said.

At Daunte Wright’s memorial site, the work’s being done by creating space for people to share, grieve and heal as one."

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...risis-theres-an-energy-around-this-community/

Ghoti Ichthus

They're not. The media and the Marxist street army wait for the right moment to announce "It's showtime". Last year "showtime" lasted nightly for months. The Chauvin trial outcome, if not sufficiently punitive, will signal another "showtime". This clumsy killing is unbelievably evil timing and I don't think anyone on this site doubts that Satanic forces were in play. The veteran lady officer appeared and sounded rattled in the quickly released video and I'm sure "which side is my taser on" training will result - provided funds for training are not exhausted for maintaining adequate patrols, given the already stretched-to-the-limit force that has not quit. Now many libs want to increase liability and decrease legal protections for individual cops. This desire to hamstring authority has its roots in Hell. The "white cops kill black folks" theme is statistically skewed (to put it mildly) but is effective when using racism as a propaganda tool to destroy society. If the existing successful Marxist strategy of lighting fires, separating into groups, and defeating the purpose and morale of police is not reversed, we are finished. Cities can't afford 27 million dollar settlements to the families of every drug fueled criminal that gets killed while resisting arrest. I don't understand why people say "all this will lead to civil war". BREAKING: We're already in one.

Police officers are part of God-ordained government.

satan opposes everything God has provided for us :mad

antitox

How can so many idiots continue to fight with police? It seems there is a new law that requires all suspects to resist arrest and fight with police. All these incidents have the same common denominator.
That is absolutely the problem. In most all these incidents, that is what takes place. They always resist the police. Anytime a person resists the police, there is always the possibility of it becoming deadly. People just don't get that.

Andy C

In the below link it states that in the last 20 years, only 18 times has an officer mistakenly used their weapon when they intended to use their taser.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/kim-pott...a-taser-police-say-how-often-does-that-happen

Im always pro police, and give them the benefit of doubt in almost all cases. I have had several friends who were police, and I trained 3 different times with Police and Sheriff departments on various procedures. Most people have no idea what they go through on a daily basis, and how the job stress can quickly pile on.

I do believe she will be charged today. The evidence seems to indicate it was a mistake by her, but every police officer knows you are held accountable for every time you pull the trigger.

Prayers for the family of the perp, and prayers for the officer and her family.

motofan90

In the below link it states that in the last 20 years, only 18 times has an officer mistakenly used their weapon when they intended to use their taser.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/kim-pott...a-taser-police-say-how-often-does-that-happen

Im always pro police, and give them the benefit of doubt in almost all cases. I have had several friends who were police, and I trained 3 different times with Police and Sheriff departments on various procedures. Most people have no idea what they go through on a daily basis, and how the job stress can quickly pile on.

I do believe she will be charged today. The evidence seems to indicate it was a mistake by her, but every police officer knows you are held accountable for every time you pull the trigger.

Prayers for the family of the perp, and prayers for the officer and her family.
I think if charges do appear and they likely will I am expecting involuntary manslaughter. She didn't premeditate her actions but she also made a misjudgement and the general public has been charged with involuntary manslaughter for things like car wrecks etc.

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
The BLM spinmeisters are already working on a fresh narrative that will keep the violence going. The momentum is on their side and my practical suggestions for quelling violence have been ignored,...
I think their momentum is coming to a sudden thud, even imploding within, in the form of disillusionment...

"Patrisse Khan-Cullors, the leader of Black Lives Matter and a self-described Marxist, recently purchased a $1.4 million home in an exclusive Los Angeles neighborhood where the vast majority of residents are White, according to reports."
more @ https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-estate/marxist-blm-leader-buys-1-4-million-home-in-ritzy-la-enclave

Reminds me of a scene from Animal Farm.

motofan90

These self serving hypocrites are indeed not in total agreement among themselves and their oversized egos may cause a good deal of "thudding" into one another while arguing whether to serve Baal, Kali, or an old photograph of Charles Manson. I wish them all nothing but the worst.
Not surprising. Another one of these grass roots organizations had a founder who was an abuser and wound up back in jail. NGAN Next Generation Action Network was founded by a convicted domestic violence criminal:

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dallas-activist-dominique-alexander-sentenced-to-prison-8642594
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...alexander-indicted-on-family-violence-charge/

I think people need to start paying attention to these groups founders because some of them do not have a good record. It is one thing to have peaceful protests but what we are seeing is another thing.

depserv

What they really mean is “it takes a collective (the state) to raise a good communist.”
I agree that your version is what they mean.

But here's a good way for us to look at it: it doesn't take a village to raise a child, obviously, since many children have been raised very successfully by people who did not live in a village. But whether or not the parents want it, a child living in a village will be raised by the village, at least to some extent, and more likely to a large extent. So the wise parent is careful in choosing a good village.

The village that raises your child includes the neighborhood kids that your kids play with, your extended family, an internet community, televisions shows and movies, a church community, and the government indoctrination centers called schools (these raise your kids to some extent even if you homeschool, since your kids will probably be associating with other kids who go to the indoctrination centers). Often the village has more effect on the kids than the parents, so choose your children's villages wisely.

Last edited:

depserv

Police officers are part of God-ordained government.

satan opposes everything God has provided for us :mad
I'm glad you brought this up my friend because it reminds me of questions I have about this subject. I'm hoping that someone here who knows more about the Bible than I do can answer them. They might look like rhetorical questions but they are not; I think getting good answers to these questions is important, especially given the times we are living in. All of them refer to something much bigger than what is given literally in the question.

Should Christians treat the police that carry out the orders of a tyrannical regime as police ordained by God and submit to their authority? For example, if a person living in Nazi Germany hid Jews from the police, was he sinning against God? I assume the answer is no, but I'd like to know what Bible references tell us about this issue, so as to know where to draw the line in any given situation, and why.

If it is ok to not obey police who are carrying out the will of a tyrant, is it only ok to not obey their orders, or is it ok to resist them through violent action, like certain resistance movements have done? For example, would it have been a sin to commit violence against a Nazi death camp in order to slow down the mass murder it was committing?

If it would have been ok, what is the limit on what Christians should do about the mass murder of unborn babies (over 60 million so far)?

If it is ok to resist tyranny, at what point does it become ok? For example, a guy living in Germany under the Nazis sees the evil Nazism represents even before the Nazis consolidate their power and to him what is coming is obvious. But at that point the Nazis had not committed much overt evil and what violence they did commit was sold as being justified. After they had consolidated their power resistance was mostly futile, but a big enough effort might have been able to overthrow them before they had consolidated their power. So should Christians wait until the tyrant actually commits mass violence, or should the Christian seeing what's coming act preemptively?

I know of a case where a young woman (from a good Christian family) was kidnapped, raped, tortured, and killed; the killers kidnapped her in broad daylight by approaching her and telling her they were undercover police and wanted to ask her a few questions in their car. I have a feeling this is probably more common than we realize. So are Christians always supposed to be totally obedient to anyone who claims to be a police officer?

If it is ok to refuse to submit to what might be a fake police officer, or what seems to be a bad cop intending to commit violence against you, is it ok to fight back against police carrying out gun raids that the Constitution say are illegal, but a corrupt president, legislature, and courts say are legal?

Our founding fathers rebelled against the established government. Were they sinning when they did that?

Ghoti Ichthus

How about a very brief soundless vibration (like a cell phone)?
That's still a distraction and it can still be heard by a suspect waiting to ambush police. Vibrating cell phones have told me exactly where a suspect was when I was looking for him/her.

I think the Chief resigning like the officer says it all. Inadequate training, inadequate supervision, and inadequate policies and procedures.

The officer's reaction on the bodycam video is also telling. 26 year veteran police officer shouldn't be surprised at what she did. Wonder how many years she spent in admin, school resource officer, trainer, etc. positions and not on the street. This happens a lot with female officers unless we stand up for ourselves. Brooklyn Center is busy enough and has a lot of gang, drug, etc. problems, so officers on the street accumulate experience fairly quickly, when compared with officers in nicer, lower-crime areas.

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

Here's the local news coverage:

Daunte Wright Shooting: Fmr. Brooklyn Center Officer Kim Potter Arrested, Charged With Manslaughter

"Second-degree manslaughter is defined by Minnesota law as “when someone acts with negligence, creating an unreasonable risk that causes death or great bodily harm.”

"If Potter is found guilty of the second-degree murder charge, she could face up to 10 years in prison. She is due to make her first court appearance at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday."

"According to the timeline of events given in the complaint, six seconds passed between Potter saying she’d Taser Wright to when she fired the single round from her handgun.
A Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigator collected and reviewed Potter’s duty belt, and saw that her handgun is holstered on the right side of the belt and her Taser is on the left side. The grips, or handles of the Taser and handgun face Potter’s rear, and the Taser is yellow with a black grip. The investigator noted that the Taser is in a straight-draw position, meaning she would have had to use her left hand to draw the Taser out of the holster."

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...rrested-charged-with-2nd-degree-manslaughter/

Back