Anger

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Anger
By David L. Goetsch

Anger is a strong feeling of annoyance that occurs as a result of irritation, frustration, or stress. It can range from feelings of mild annoyance to uncontrollable rage. Our anger usually shows itself when things aren’t going our way or people aren’t doing what we want them to. Factors we allow to arouse our anger range from betrayal at one end of the spectrum to minor perturbances at the other. One person might become angry when lied to by a loved one. Another might become angry when a driver sits through a green light while texting.

We see the consequences of anger all around us in such tragedies as road rage, broken marriages, gun violence, sideline rage, and mob violence. Anger can be a destructive emotion, and often is. The bad news is that anger is part of our sinful nature, a part Satan uses to tempt us into behaving badly. The good news is anger can be controlled, prevented, and overcome.

Jerry is a good provider for his family, a top performer at work, and a reliable deacon in his church. Unfortunately, Jerry is also a deeply angry person. In fact, the most prominent aspect of his personality is anger. He is often snaps at his wife, yells at his children, and publicly berates his employees. When driving, Jerry impatiently blows his horn at other drivers. In recent months, Jerry’s anger has begun to cause serious problems. He and his wife hardly speak, his children avoid him, an employee has filed a grievance against him, and a driver who was offended by Jerry’s horn blowing followed him home and threatened him with bodily harm.

Jerry has attended secular anger management classes, but to no avail. He has read books and articles on anger management, but with no noticeable benefit. Secular anger management strategies don’t work well because they don’t get to the heart of the problem. They teach you to “manage” anger by identifying the factors that bother you and avoiding them and by applying various techniques for suppressing your anger when it bubbles up. In other words, secular anger management strategies treat the symptoms of the problem rather than the cause.

One of the pamphlets Jerry read on anger management was produced by a Christian counseling center. It made the point that anger is a sin problem and must be treated as such if it is to be overcome. After mulling it over for several days, Jerry decided to approach his pastor for help. He was reluctant to speak with his pastor, not wanting to admit he had an anger problem. Jerry feared losing his position as a church deacon. Consequently, he was surprised to learn Pastor Amos already knew about his anger problem. In fact, when Jerry made the appointment, Pastor Amos had already decided to call him because of complaints from church members about Jerry’s terseness and impatience with them.

Pastor Amos was well known for his straight-forward approach to dealing with problems. The first thing he said to his deacon was, “Jerry, Satan is using your temper to rule your life. Since Satan is the problem, Jesus Christ is the answer. Satan is making you view yourself as God so you can justify expecting everybody in your life to do what you want, when you want, and how you want. This is why you consider your anger righteous and why you deem those who make you angry justifiable targets for your wrath. Therefore, the key to overcoming your anger is to acknowledge that you are not God. You are another sinner just like the people who arouse your anger. Every day you make God as angry as the people in your life make you, yet God graciously forgives you when he could just as easily strike you down in a fit of wrath.”

Pastor Amos opened his Bible to Romans 12:17-21 and asked Jerry to read the verses out loud. Jerry read: “Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’ To the contrary, ‘If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing so you will heap burning coals on his head.’ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”

“Jerry, you need to commit to showing everyone in your life the same level of grace God shows you every day.” Pastor Amos then asked Jerry read aloud Ephesians 4:31-32: “Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God forgave you.” He asked Jerry to pray about these verses and come see him again in a week.

Jerry did pray, but it didn’t take him a week to see the error of his ways. Two days later, Jerry was a different man. He gathered his wife and children together and apologized for his anger. Jerry went individually to every employee he had publicly berated and apologized. Finally, he sought out fellow church members he had been impatient with and apologized to them. Rather than angry, Jerry became “kind,” “tenderhearted,” and “forgiving.” The change brought major change to his life, all of them good.

Dr. Goetsch is the author of Christian Women on the Job: Excelling at Work without Compromising Your Faith, Fidelis Books, an imprint of Post Hill Press and Christians on the Job: Winning at Work Without Compromising Your Faith, Salem Books, an imprint of Regnery Publishing, 2019: www.david-goetsch.com

https://www.raptureforums.com/spiritual-life/anger-2/

Jojo4124

Seems to me that a lot of ppl have anger under the surface. I wonder why.

I love the story...if we pray about it, God will teach us to let anger go. It seems difficult to humbly obey God in this area for some ppl n I wonder why. God helped me when I was younger...I had a lot of anger due to my neglectful/abusive upbringing...but I didnt want to live in anger. God called me to give it to Him, and I went to God, n He healed my wounds n helped me to forgive. He also led me to change my diet (got off sugar, white flour products, and processed foods for a while) and I was amazed at how my attitude changed for the better.

I praise God, Who helps us to obey Him by healing us n giving us wisdom on what we need to do. But we have to seek His wisdom. If we dont, we miss out n deal with stuff on our own. If we can humbly admit our sin to Him, ask Him for wisdom on how to change, and then obey what He tells us to do..then He gives us what we ask for, because we ask according to His will. Freedom is only found in Him! And it's wonderful.

I was talking to a Christian lady the other day. She said that she just wants to be happy. I was wondering why she didnt crack open her Bible and spend time with her heavenly Father...not judging her...I forget to find my answers at Jesus' feet too sometimes. As Christ followers, we have the answers, we just need to apply them n ask God to help us...He always will.

Jesus emphasized ASKING in order to receive....any help that we need we are to ask Him for. Yet for some reason, for me, sometimes I think about going to God last instead of immediately.

I feel sad n pray for the abusers that were in my life...most of them claim to know Jesus, but choose to not see the hurt n damage they cause others. They dont seem to feel like their anger and hurtful ways are not pleasing to God, and they refuse to take their unhealed wounds to Him so that He can heal them, so that they dont feel the need to abuse others n take their anger out on others anymore.

God is SO willing to heal n help us. I always wondered why some Christians respond to God's desire to heal us n help us to love others, and some ppl just dont.

Andy C

There are many Christians who live in anger. Anger towards the world, towards politicians, and to everyone who disagrees with them. Me, I learned years ago to not let politics rule my life, not to let others effect my mood, instead, focus on Him. He told us it will be crazy and evil times in the end, so Im never really angry or shocked by what I see in this world.

DWB

I mentioned this in another thread; I have growing anger at Democrats/liberals who IMO are intentionally ruining this country for monetary or political gain. I view them as pawns of Satan willingly doing his bidding. I'm talking about late term abortion, gay teachers grooming kids, and obvious filthy lucre by politicians.

cheeky200386

I mentioned this in another thread; I have growing anger at Democrats/liberals who IMO are intentionally ruining this country for monetary or political gain. I view them as pawns of Satan willingly doing his bidding. I'm talking about late term abortion, gay teachers grooming kids, and obvious filthy lucre by politicians.
Same, I feel intense anger at those who harm children.

rks7777

There are many Christians who live in anger. Anger towards the world, towards politicians, and to everyone who disagrees with them. Me, I learned years ago to not let politics rule my life, not to let others effect my mood, instead, focus on Him. He told us it will be crazy and evil times in the end, so Im never really angry or shocked by what I see in this world.
As a Christian I have anger that I know I shouldn’t. I have a 31 year old son who is blind. You would think that as a believer I would have come to grips with God’s sovereignty and would have released the anger. But there are times I don’t get it and I get angry and depressed. Not outwardly angry. Nobody even knows about my anger, not even my wonderful wife and certainly not my son. He loves his Lord and Savior. He’s a talented musician that gives his talent back to God. I’m so proud of him…but I get so sad and angry at times because of how difficult life is for him. It’s not a daily thing with me….but every few months or so it just hits me wrong…my son is blind. It hit me hard tonight and I stumble onto this post. Please pray that I will Trust in God with my whole heart to take care of Sam.

foreach_loop

My problem is driving. No matter how much I pray about it I still get angry. Not so much at the other drivers, but at the way they purposely program the red lights to stop the most amount of cars for the longest time possible.

In my town, they set them up in such a way that driving the speed limit ensures you will get to every light as soon as it turns yellow, causing you to idle through a full red light. If you pay attention to your MPG, this can cause a 30-40% dip in fuel efficiency. It's also set up in such a way that you need to drive ~11mph faster to make them on green. I can prove this on a spreadsheet.

Not sure if they are getting kickbacks for extra gas taxes or if they just want to hand out tickets to people who've figured out the numbers game of 11mph...

It makes me so angry every time I drive, I almost completely avoid unless it's to get to and from work.... I need prayer

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
You would think that as a believer I would have come to grips with God’s sovereignty and would have released the anger. But there are times I don’t get it and I get angry and depressed.

I think all Christians hit these kind of moments. :sad Even King David struggled as we read about in his Psalms. We know that things aren't right (so do unbelievers) and at times in my humanness I can get overwhelmed too (especially if I'm tired, sick, hungry, etc.). Just today I felt anger over some genetic challenges my family has to deal with that has a real effect in our lives and letting it get to me, I'm not feeling very well (a consistent health challenge, but getting better) and I found myself more susceptible to being upset. I had to remind myself that first of all, we live in a fallen world and we all are encountering that falleness in one way or another in our lives.

And I found myself, yet again, going to God, seeking Him and just honestly expressing my feelings and struggles today. I found myself praying that God, knowing that these challenges are beyond my control (but not beyond my choice of response, with God's power), would just give me a real big, extra dose of grace. I'm not feeling well today, it dawned on my that I need more of His power, strength and grace. I felt bad about the emotions that welled up in me and I just laid it all out to God, asking for His forgiveness in losing perspective and for His help.

God was gracious and moved unexpectedly to make my day a bit easier in that I didn't have to run kids around for their school (someone else happen to offer) and allow me to just have some needed down time, refresh, regroup and thank Him for His generous grace....even though I was in a pretty cranky place. I didn't expect that....but, God's kindness melted right through my crankiness.

We have such a kind, generous God, who compassionately extends His grace to us, knowing that we do struggle. He understands and knows, He really does. Jesus is our wonderful High Priest, constantly interceding for us, granting His mercy......even for the umpteenth time we need it. And, I'm so grateful that the mercy and grace available to us is never-ending and abundantly available.

So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

Heb 4:14-16

I'm also so thankful for the comforter we have in the Holy Spirit when we are struggling, that we are not alone and He's right here to give us His power, strength and comfort when needed.

I remind myself that someday, God will make things right again and how wonderful that will be! :) In the meantime, I'm remembering that the very challenges my family faces has developed perseverance of faith, the habit to go to God every time we need Him (no matter how many times for the same difficulty) and recognizing more quickly to go to Him when we need Him, recognizing how weak we are and how much we need God and His strength that He so gladly provides. That each challenge, when asked for His help, allows me to see Him move on my behalf, graciously providing in various ways that only cements and grows my faith and trust in Him. And because of the difficulties there is a compassion there that's been developed and God uses this to come along side others struggling in the same way. Their faith is strengthened and they are encouraged.

I was reading Isaiah 35 this morning, about how God will finally come and make things right in the world. I love verse 3 that talks of encouraging and strengthening others with this sure news of what God is going to do for us. And I love verse 10 that speaks of those ransomed by God (through faith in Jesus) who will have everlasting joy and singing, that sorrow and mourning will disappear....because God has come to correct a fallen world and make things right again. What a joyous day that will be. Praying for you, brother in Christ, and others here. :)

Even the wilderness and desert will be glad in those days.
The wasteland will rejoice and blossom with spring crocuses.
2 Yes, there will be an abundance of flowers
and singing and joy!
The deserts will become as green as the mountains of Lebanon,
as lovely as Mount Carmel or the plain of Sharon.
There the Lord will display his glory,
the splendor of our God.
3 With this news, strengthen those who have tired hands,
and encourage those who have weak knees.
4 Say to those with fearful hearts,
“Be strong, and do not fear,
for your God is coming to destroy your enemies.
He is coming to save you.”

5 And when he comes, he will open the eyes of the blind
and unplug the ears of the deaf.
6 The lame will leap like a deer,
and those who cannot speak will sing for joy!
Springs will gush forth in the wilderness,
and streams will water the wasteland.
7 The parched ground will become a pool,
and springs of water will satisfy the thirsty land.
Marsh grass and reeds and rushes will flourish
where desert jackals once lived.

8 And a great road will go through that once deserted land.
It will be named the Highway of Holiness.
Evil-minded people will never travel on it.
It will be only for those who walk in God’s ways;
fools will never walk there.
9 Lions will not lurk along its course,
nor any other ferocious beasts.
There will be no other dangers.
Only the redeemed will walk on it.
10 Those who have been ransomed by the Lord will return.
They will enter Jerusalem singing,
crowned with everlasting joy.
Sorrow and mourning will disappear,
and they will be filled with joy and gladness.

Amen! :pray

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Even :fish got angry when the money changers were turning his Father's house into a den of thieves. He overturned the tables, and had a whip. There is such a thing called righteous indignation, but we need to get over it quickly. Don't let the sun go down on your wrath. Another reason is because our enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy. He wants to steal our joy because the joy of the Lord is our strength, and a merry heart doeth good like medicine.

Carl

My problem is driving. No matter how much I pray about it I still get angry. Not so much at the other drivers, but at the way they purposely program the red lights to stop the most amount of cars for the longest time possible.

In my town, they set them up in such a way that driving the speed limit ensures you will get to every light as soon as it turns yellow, causing you to idle through a full red light. If you pay attention to your MPG, this can cause a 30-40% dip in fuel efficiency. It's also set up in such a way that you need to drive ~11mph faster to make them on green. I can prove this on a spreadsheet.

Not sure if they are getting kickbacks for extra gas taxes or if they just want to hand out tickets to people who've figured out the numbers game of 11mph...

It makes me so angry every time I drive, I almost completely avoid unless it's to get to and from work.... I need prayer
I see this and often wonder how much slower to drive to get green lights?

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
If you had no righteous anger towards the abominations you listed, I would recommend you get your vital signs checked to determine whether you are still among the living. Key verse: “Be angry, and sin not”. Listen to what this Bible hothead called people:
Asps
Den of vipers
Hypocrites
You are of your father the Devil
Whited sepulchers full of dead men’s bones
…and this guy is going to kick it at Armageddon.
It’s how you react to anger that can do harm to yourself. The tough things Jesus said were supported by God’s Word and his authority to declare those truths.

Regarding traffic issues: I am not saying that you can grow perfect patience at the snap of a finger. Trials and tribulations grow patience. It has only taken me about fifty years to learn how to turn my angst to “low” before getting into line at Walmart.
Slow traffic lights: For a long time I admired Tall Timbers for never trying to outrun the red light. Then I found out that he was awarded a flying Lamborghini at his Air Force retirement observance (speaker: Dwight Eisenhower).
I absolutely agree :fish was no wimp he let people know when they were wrong. Anger is an emotion just like other emotions us humans have. Anger is out of control when you take someone's life that is murder just like what happened at the Elementary school in Texas. These were precious little children with their lives cut way too short, and I feel for their :pray families and :pray friends.:cry

Last edited:

foreach_loop

They sure do need to time the lights better.
This another reason I don't believe in the man-made climate change narrative. If it was really our carbon causing the earth to warm, you think they would make simple fixes such as timing the lights in order to reduce it. It would easily cut down on 20-30% of CO2 from automobiles.

Carl

If you drive to slower than speed limit it will back up traffic and cause a lot of hassle/anger for people getting to work in the morning.
I have noticed that. Even driving in the right hand lane. If I am going any slower than someone else they have to pass. Unfortunately all they do is get to set at the red light for longer.

Back