Andy Woods Revelation sermon...

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
... Am a bit perplexed having listened to the latest of Andy Woods sermons on Revelation chapter 13... I know he isn't the only teacher to do this, but when talking about 666 he mentions gematria... I thought gematria was from Jewish mysticism kabbalah??

I know Andy W is very clued up on new age stuff etc, he's done numerous warnings from the pulpit even quoting the likes of Alice Bailey....

Has anyone on here done any research on gematria?? Mods if discussion of this isn't allowed, then please delete thread!! :)

Last edited:

RonJohnSilver

... Am a bit perplexed having listened to the latest of Andy Woods sermons on Revelation chapter 13... I know he isn't the only teacher to do this, but when talking about 666 he mentions gematria... I thought gematria was from Jewish mysticism kabbalah??

I know Andy W is very clued up on new age stuff etc, he's done numerous warnings from the pulpit even quoting the likes of Alice Bailey....

Has anyone on here done any research on gematria?? Mods if discussion of this isn't allowed, then please delete thread!! :)

Gematria is a type of "code" in which number values are assigned to letters, thus discovering "hidden clues" in various documents. It is not Jewish in origin, it is Babylonian/Assyrian I think, and it is used often in Kabbalah practices. It is not, I don't believe, a good tool to use in Biblical study. That's my opinion. I also listened to Andy Woods' sermon. I don't think he was endorsing it in any way, but simply using it as an example of what conclusions the world often jumps to.

InsuranceGuy

One of my best friend's got into Gematria and literally became a nutjob. I had to cut ties with him. After years of looking at numbers mentioned in the Bible for "clues" as to "what God was really trying to tell us", he came to the belief that the entire world is delusional, except for those that really studied and solved the riddle. In his mind, the number show an advanced civilization, with a God, who was communicating with a future earth in code. When the time was right, and we had advanced enough, we would not only understand, but be ready for them. I'm not certain if he thought the God of the actual Bible was God or not. He would describe the Bible as the 'greatest love story ever told' and quote scripture, but he firmly believed the numbers told a story not in the Bible itself. Years ago, he wanted to meet with myself and a few other friends who had grown up together. He wanted to meet in a very specific location, at a very specific time of day, to reveal "the secret" he had found after all these years. I didn't go, and for lack of a better way to put it, told him he was nuts. Haven't heard from him since that day, but every ounce of my being told me not to go meet him. The guys that did go said he told them the date of the Trib, to begin preparing immediately (guess he wasn't a rapture guy) and when God was coming back. Well, if you have the start date of the Trib, you don't need Gematria to know his return date. Yeah, the whole thing felt wrong, even evil, so I lost a friend that day.

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
One of my best friend's got into Gematria and literally became a nutjob. I had to cut ties with him. After years of looking at numbers mentioned in the Bible for "clues" as to "what God was really trying to tell us", he came to the belief that the entire world is delusional, except for those that really studied and solved the riddle. In his mind, the number show an advanced civilization, with a God, who was communicating with a future earth in code. When the time was right, and we had advanced enough, we would not only understand, but be ready for them. I'm not certain if he thought the God of the actual Bible was God or not. He would describe the Bible as the 'greatest love story ever told' and quote scripture, but he firmly believed the numbers told a story not in the Bible itself. Years ago, he wanted to meet with myself and a few other friends who had grown up together. He wanted to meet in a very specific location, at a very specific time of day, to reveal "the secret" he had found after all these years. I didn't go, and for lack of a better way to put it, told him he was nuts. Haven't heard from him since that day, but every ounce of my being told me not to go meet him. The guys that did go said he told them the date of the Trib, to begin preparing immediately (guess he wasn't a rapture guy) and when God was coming back. Well, if you have the start date of the Trib, you don't need Gematria to know his return date. Yeah, the whole thing felt wrong, even evil, so I lost a friend that day.

Oh dear :( will pray for him.... Its so easy to be sucked into hidden gnostic stuff... So much stuff around encourages people to go outside the Bible, suggests the Bible is not enough..... Having been sucked into all sorts myself, as mentioned elsewhere, I give it all a lovely wide berth now..... God chose to reveal himself in his written word of truth, anything beyond that is filed b for bin!!! :)

Back