Ancient 'Ritual Wand' Etched with Human Faces Discovered in Syria

Timna

Ancient 'Ritual Wand' Etched with Human Faces Discovered in Syria

Archaeologists have unearthed an ancient staff carved with two realistic human faces in southern Syria.

The roughly 9,000-year-old artifact was discovered near a graveyard where about 30 people were buried without their heads — which were found in a nearby living space.

"The find is very unusual. It's unique," said study co-author Frank Braemer, an archaeologist at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique in France. [See Images of the Ancient Wand and Skeletons]

Ancient 'Ritual Wand' Etched with Human Faces Discovered in Syria | LiveScience

mattfivefour

It's always interesting to see these ancient artifacts. It gives us a connection to real people who died millennia before we were born. As we try to grasp a sense of the world they lived in, I wonder what they would make of the world in which WE live?

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
Ok, the 9000 years ????? Other than that it kind of looks far eastern. How do they know it is a wand? Maybe a just a cane.

UCT

So... If I had been running through that graveyard and my Nike's fell off, were buried in mud, then uncovered thousands of years later..... Would they claim my Nike shoes were obviously used in some sort of ancient burial ritual? The Nike symbol must have been a pagan God? :idunno: Speculation leads to errors.

Back